Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Service at it's most deluded on Hawkins House

Options
  • 22-08-2017 1:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,551 ✭✭✭✭

Most ugly, uncomfortable, kip of a building in Ireland. They want to demolish but it has been delayed due to curious misgivings by the civil service.

Public servants who were looking to avoid some trauma...

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/department-of-health-to-exit-hawkins-house-within-months-1.3193719

The good news on what they were seeking.
    Engagement with staff about the move is ongoing, she says, but no “disturbance money” will be paid.

The Association of Higher Civil and Public Servants wrote to the department last May expressing concern about the proposed working environment after staff transfer. It argued the new office would resemble a “call centre” with staff suffering “distraction and interruption” by being grouped in clusters of six and eight persons.

:eek: Open plan offices, fuuuck! :eek::eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I'm glad I can read the papers and not be outraged by every article
    I read.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

Bit of a non story.

People have it cushy in one building with private offices and don't wanna be put in an open plan one.

They're hardly out protesting demanding the move be stopped etc. They just expressed some legitimate concerns about being in an open plan office.

Edit: Actually not just 'a bit' of a non story, its a pure non story. Crisp, filtered, triple distilled non story with the seal of approval and the certified providence from La Bollouex region high in the French alps. Lovingly crafted by the Les sensationaliste monks for over 200 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Just enforce the change and stop mollycoddling the public service. They work off taxpayer money and we ought to be getting the best value for our money. Fcuk em. Its basically senior civilservants giving out that they can't get away with reading the Indo/IT every morning in their offices during working hours (it happens) and they have to actually be out in the open and seen to be working.

Where efficiencies and savings are found it should be non questionable. Enforce the changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,298 ✭✭✭✭Victor

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Just enforce the change and stop mollycoddling the public service. They work off taxpayer money and we ought to be getting the best value for our money. Fcuk em. Its basically senior civilservants giving out that they can't get away with reading the Indo/IT every morning in their offices during working hours (it happens) and they have to actually be out in the open and seen to be working.

Where efficiencies and savings are found it should be non questionable. Enforce the changes.

The flip side is when you are trying to do something complicated and you have to hear everyone else's conversations / phone calls at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,551 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Private sector workers (the ones who generate the tax to pay public servants) have put up with that and worse for how long Victor?

They tried a stroke for extra money like the DART drivers who wanted more money for pressing extra buttons on new trains.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

Victor wrote: »

The flip side is when you are trying to do something complicated and you have to hear everyone else's conversations / phone calls at the same time.

I'm assuming you're a public servant, Victor.....😊

Ever hear of noise cancelling earphones/headsets?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

exaisle wrote: »
    I'm assuming you're a public servant, Victor.....😊

Ever hear of noise cancelling earphones/headsets?

Im not sure kermit's generating enough economic activity to pay for those :D

• Registered Users Posts: 78,298 ✭✭✭✭Victor

exaisle wrote: »
    I'm assuming you're a public servant, Victor.....��
    I've never been a state employee at any level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Suppose we could whip them while your at it, or put the moaners in the coal mines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

Private sector workers (the ones who generate the tax to pay public servants) .

Public servants don't pay tax now? No wonder every nurse and gardai I know are swilling the expensive stuff in their mansions.... bastards the lot of em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

Victor wrote: »

Ha ! The Public Sector/Civil Service doing something complicated ?? On a good day they can count their fingers and toes and get within 2 of the correct total !

Public servants don't pay tax now?

They do, but it is not adding to the exchequer. It's recycled from the private sector. Nothing extra is added to the country's finances in tax through public sector workers.

Jobs OXO wrote: »
    Ha ! The Public Sector/Civil Service doing something complicated ?? On a good day they can count their fingers and toes and get within 2 of the correct total !

About to nail him on that slip. You got there first :pac::cool:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Yes, let's ensure that we spend the absolute minimum possible on the public service with no regard to the consequences. It's not like there has been any reason to question that logic lately.

Yes, let's ensure that we spend the absolute minimum possible on the public service with no regard to the consequences.

Yes and privatise as much as possible. Best value and best results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Any excuse for you to start moaning about the outsourcing of private jobs to India:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

They do, but it is not adding to the exchequer. It's recycled from the private sector. Nothing extra is added to the country's finances in tax through public sector workers.

Are you trying to imply there is no value to the state attached to the services they provide?

Are you trying to imply there is no value to the state attached to the services they provide?

There is no extra direct monetary benefit. They moan that they "pay tax" - the tax they pay comes from the tax paid by private sector workers.

Ergo no net benefit to exchequer. It's a loss.

There is extraneous benefits if, for example, they save a life and thus they can contribute but other than that no benefit.

Privatisation would lead to harder workers, better hospitals, schools, social welfare services etc and get more for taxpayers.

There is no extra direct monetary benefit. They moan that they "pay tax" - the tax they pay comes from the tax paid by private sector workers.

Ergo no net benefit to exchequer. It's a loss.

There is extraneous benefits if, for example, they save a life and thus they can contribute but other than that no benefit.

Privatisation would lead to harder workers, better hospitals and more for taxpayers.

Ok then I'll ask again.
    Are you trying to imply the services civil and public servants provide for the state are of no value to its tax paying citizens?

• Advertisement

Ok then I'll ask again.
    Are you trying to imply the services civil and public servants provide for the state are of no value to its tax paying citizens?

Yes.

Ok then I'll ask again.

Yes ! Now you have it !

Yes.

:D:D:D:D:D:D

Now I know not to bother continuing any discussion with you.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

They privatised the housing market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

beauf wrote: »

Dont forget the bins...I'm almost sure Kermi would have had a moan about that:D

beauf wrote: »

And? Those who were wreckless and speculated were suitably punished, no?

The market is the best tool for rectifying problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

What are you going to do about it OP?

Nothing....thats right, nothing.

How can you be SO outraged over anything at 0900 in the morning? Were you holding onto the public sector rant for a week before something popped up in the news?

Anyway, do something about it instead of being a moany Mary.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Yes, a public sector/private sector bashing tread. We haven't had one of these in ages.
    I'm torn as to who to be outraged at. As a civil servant who apparently doesn't pay tax, doesn't do any complex work and is of no value to the state and our tax generating/paying citizens; do I have to be outraged at myself? So confused, please help.

Yes, a public sector/private sector bashing tread. We haven't had one of these in ages.
    I'm torn as to who to be outraged at. As a civil servant who apparently doesn't pay tax, doesn't do any complex work and is of no value to the state and our tax generating/paying citizens; do I have to be outraged at myself? So confused, please help.

Yeah you could do that. Perhaps get a private sector job that generates wealth and taxes maybe ?

• Advertisement

Resign?

Advertisement