Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Service at it's most deluded on Hawkins House

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Resign?

Make him resign.

"200 Likes = 1 Public Sector Resignation"

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Resign?

You really will go to any length to have a moan...next thing is we'd see a moan about the poster not working and scrounging off those hard working, tax paying private sector workers and getting everything for FREEEEEEEEE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

In fairness I worked in a private company who were changing us from one building to another and there were months of consultations with teams as we were going from a small scale open plan to a much larger open plan space. There were legitimate concerns about privacy and interruption. For example, I work with quite confidential information and my team had to placed away from others so conversations couldn't be overheard and with no access path behind our desks so screens couldn't be seen. That alone took about 5-6 weeks of planning and we were just 1 team out of about 15.

There's a lot to get outraged about at 9am but how a staff move that doesn't affect you personally is progressing is possibly a waste of that outrage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

In fairness I worked in a private company who were changing us from one building to another and there were months of consultations with teams as we were going from a small scale open plan to a much larger open plan space. There were legitimate concerns about privacy and interruption. For example, I work with quite confidential information and my team had to placed away from others so conversations couldn't be overheard and with no access path behind our desks so screens couldn't be seen. That alone took about 5-6 weeks of planning and we were just 1 team out of about 15.

There's a lot to get outraged about at 9am but how a staff move that doesn't affect you personally is progressing is possibly a waste of that outrage.

Try moving 500 people with a lot of confidential work going on. Not to mention speeches to be written inside an hour with innumerable interruptions in an open plan to assist in their writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Fair points and we had a similar experience in the private sector, we make a lot of noise for a small team so we ended up in a private room eventually. And I have no doubt similar conversations are going on with this office move, with some people who are just complaining and others who have genuine concerns.

The difference between the two situations is that the question of "paid compensation" has never come up in negotiations when presented with a office or desk move, when those locations are within reasonable commuting difference to each other.

And the ongoing costs and benefits of open plan offices compared to private spaces are significant to most companies. Which is why its rare outside of specific fields to find them anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,449 ✭✭✭tigger123

And? Those who were wreckless and speculated were suitably punished, no?

The market is the best tool for rectifying problems.

Not really sure if the current housing crisis is the best example of a healthy and functioning free market economy.

The invisible hand of the market has its hand stuck squarely up the country's backside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

And? Those who were wreckless and speculated were suitably punished, no?

The market is the best tool for rectifying problems.

You might of missed the bit of about the housing crisis. The worst in the history of the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ForstalDave

Jobs OXO wrote: »
    Ha ! The Public Sector/Civil Service doing something complicated ?? On a good day they can count their fingers and toes and get within 2 of the correct total !

Some of the people in hawkins house do work very hard and care about their job (mainly social workers).

Of course others are pure lazy and will complain about anyone and anything they can, all the while avoiding doing anything that involves any work at all

*i have worked there as long ago as a private sector worker not public

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I say, wouldn't it be better if we just disbanded the entire public service altogether; shoot state employees one by one?

At the very least we won't have the never ending Private vs. Public Sector arguments or moans from certain people at the smallest 'injustices'. And it will make a nice day out.
    Private sector workers (the ones who generate the tax to pay public servants) have put up with that and worse for how long Victor?

They tried a stroke for extra money like the DART drivers who wanted more money for pressing extra buttons on new trains.

Sorry to derail, but what about Luas drivers Kermit? They did the same thing before it was cool to do so.. choo choo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

I say, wouldn't it be better if we just disbanded the entire public service altogether; shoot state employees one by one?

At the very least we won't have the never ending Private vs. Public Sector arguments or moans from certain people at the smallest 'injustices'. And it will make a nice day out.

I think you'd need a public sector body to manage such an endeavour

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Wossack wrote: »

Well i can count to 10 using both my hands. I think I should take the lead on this :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

jonnycivic wrote: »
    Well i can count to 10 using both my hands. I think I should take the lead on this :D

at the coal face perhaps, you sound over qualified for management

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Wossack wrote: »

And to get rid of all the public sector bodies no doubt.
    jonnycivic wrote: »

We just need to lure them all with the promise of free food and then shoot them. Please arrange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Public servants don't pay tax now?

They do, but it is not adding to the exchequer. It's recycled from the private sector. Nothing extra is added to the country's finances in tax through public sector workers.
    why the need for private sector workers to bash public sector?
    everyone has the opportunity to apply for jobs in the public sector

I'm sure if a private sector company was moving building there'd be issues too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Victor wrote: »
    The flip side is when you are trying to do something complicated and you have to hear everyone else's conversations / phone calls at the same time.

Laptops instead of desktops, loads of free meeting pods, noise negating headsets, problem solved.

Look, the public sector has been bloated and inefficient for years. Any streamlining of operations are most welcome provided some value is added back to the taxpayer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Mulligans across the street though.

I'd look at Hawkins house all day if it means enjoying the few pints in there

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Laptops instead of desktops, loads of free meeting pods, noise negating headsets, problem solved.

Look, the public sector has been bloated and inefficient for years. Any streamlining of operations are most welcome.

Careful though, remember you aren't allowed to spend money, no matter how sensible it would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭222233

6.5 Million to rent a year would it not be more beneficial for them to buy a building or develop one.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,470 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

To be fair, the Apple Employees are complaining about the same thing, to the extent that the manager told the workspace design people to f' off and give him his own building:
    https://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/news/2017/08/08/apple-park-employees-floor-plan-hq-spaceship-aapl.html

Google and Facebook are stepping back from their open plan ideals, amazingly, they found that high paid tech workers didn't enjoy being arranged the same way as a Dickensian workshop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Spider Web

About to nail him on that slip. You got there first :pac::cool:
    I think a lot of clerical public sector jobs should be privatised/outsourced, but having a go at the workers themselves in the above manner - what age are you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

astrofool wrote: »
    Google and Facebook are stepping back from their open plan ideals, amazingly, they found that high paid tech workers didn't enjoy being arranged the same way as a Dickensian workshop.
    Productivity drops to the floor in certain IT environments in an open floor plan. It probably works well for marketing who spend their lives roaring and shouting and "collaborating", but anyone who is trying to concentrate finds it a pain in the rear. In an open plan you hear everyone's conversations, sensitive or not, no-one stops by for a chat, and the loudest person in the room dominates the whole space. A stupid idea, I'd push back against it if I was in their situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

This is really just a cry for relevance by the AHCPS.

Their members have always had their own offices, it's just about the only 'perk' they cling on to.

Apart from that, their members got completely shafted in the austerity years and were badly let down by their union.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

If my job was moving out from Hawkins House I'd be delighted, what an eyesore.

I hope all those who foam at the mouth at the very thought of public sector workers are aware of the low wages new entrants at the lower grades are on. The HSE introduced a new clerical grade a few years back, Grade 3. More and more hospitals are bringing in new entrants at that grade. So some of the people taking dog's abuse in A&E departments, dealing with abuse over the phone and in person about the length of waiting lists and facing angry patients in ovecrowded outpatient clinics get paid 21,592 a year. A princely sum indeed..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

If my job was moving out from Hawkins House I'd be delighted, what an eyesore.

I hope all those who foam at the mouth at the very thought of public sector workers are aware of the low wages new entrants at the lower grades are on. The HSE introduced a new clerical grade a few years back, Grade 3. More and more hospitals are bringing in new entrants at that grade. So some of the people taking dog's abuse in A&E departments, dealing with abuse over the phone and in person about the length of waiting lists and facing angry patients in ovecrowded outpatient clinics get paid 21,592 a year. A princely sum indeed..

Indeed, and in the middle of Dublin no less.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Chaos Black

The single pension scheme for new entrants is nothing to write home about either. In allot of places clerical grades or equivalent are frontline and get the brunt of the public.

People should differentiate between the established and new civil/public servants when complaining. (Not that I disagree with every issue raised either, some of the culture/infrastructure of the service absolutely has to adapt/change).

Advertisement