Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mother of six shot dead. Why no outrage?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Ah sure she was from Ballymun until somebody respectable gets killed and nobody will care.
    Ah sure she had it coming.

Oh no! the Ballymun being victimised card. Maybe if her brother 'bottler' wasn't a convicted serious criminal and if her other brother 'Mad Mickey' hadn't also been involved in crime she might still be alive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

ELM327 wrote: »
    If this was someone from a leafy road beside the embassies, then it would have been more newsworthy.

Generally people from outside of the rougher, single mother with many childer for the free gaff areas would not have the same level of empathy as they would for someone from their own area or a comparable area.

"Working Dalkey mother of 1 shot at home" = shocking mainline news
    "Ballymun stay at home mother of 6 shot at home" = expected behaviour due to the area's rep.

Like it or lump it, that's how we are as a society. If we weren't, then the killing of the ballymun mother would have been more noticed

Again, nothing to do with ballymun, everything to do with her choice not to distance herself from her family who had a history of criminality and violence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Some drunk guy draws a swastika on the George at 3 AM and it generates 100x the headlines this incident does.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,373 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Again, nothing to do with ballymun, everything to do with her choice not to distance herself from her family who had a history of criminality and violence.

Why is it nothing to do with ballymun?
    It's where she lived, and why no-one cared outside of the local area and a few do-gooders

• Registered Users Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I do feel sorry for her and her family but she has some responsibility too. Family member or not she had a known criminal, under death threat, into her home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

Some people are keeping their outrage powder dry for the next attack by a dark skinned person hundreds of miles away. A bunch of lads running around Dublin with machine guns killing innocent Irish people and shooting at children, isn't really worthy of their outrage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Spider Web

I know innocent people got caught in the crossfire in this case, but it has been overshadowed by the "gangland" aspect.

If it had been a person out walking in Ballymun and they were caught in the crossfire or it was a case of mistaken identity, there would be outrage - it would not matter that it was Ballymun. There are snobs, but I dislike this attempt to paint everyone else as snobs. And there was plenty of coverage of the Carrickmines fire - replete with finger-pointing at those who were appealing for refugees to be given asylum here but were nimbys in relation to those affected by the fire (despite there being no evidence that these were the same people, and likely weren't).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Why is it nothing to do with ballymun?
    It's where she lived, and why no-one cared outside of the local area and a few do-gooders

Because posters are saying its because of ballymun she doesn't get the coverage, as opposed to myself who believes its due to her association with violent criminality and her choice not to distance herself or her kids from it. If she had being a mother of six living in leafy D4 who chatted with violent criminals targeted for death, it would be the same story. It's all about choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭tomofson

Because posters are saying its because of ballymun she doesn't get the coverage, as opposed to myself who believes its due to her association with violent criminality and her choice not to distance herself or her kids from it. If she had being a mother of six living in leafy D4 who chatted with violent criminals targeted for death, it would be the same story. It's all about choice.

I somehow think the media and society would be much more sympathetic if a D4 mother was killed no mother who she associated with.

I despise that mentality but it is a reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

If the shootings of two children (one left in a wheelchair), and near miss of a child where a bullet lodged in their car seat, did not lead to change then it can hardly be surprising that the same non response happens again. Any number of innocent people have been shot by "gangland" criminals at this stage. Forgotten about within days.

All have a similar postcode unfortunately - compare the media coverage, the outrage, and the gardai resources applied to the murder of Shane Geoghan.

The only difference is class - and people can claim the murder of bottlers sister is less relevant given the circumstances, but there is and always has been, a class difference in people's perception.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Bambi985 wrote: »
    It was a huge story stateside too. I remember it was all over the major US TV networks at the time, NBC, CNN, they were reporting from Berkeley and then followed the story over to Ireland to interview some of the families/friends. The Irish media's pick-up on it was likely dictated a lot more by the US media's reaction to it than anything else.

I dunno. I think at first that might have driven it but there was something that made me realise that the coverage was completely over-the-top. I was actually in hospital when the tragedy happened, with limited internet access. I was a bit cut off from the world. I knew it had happened but I had a lot going on in my own life at the time and didn't give it much consideration.

I got out of hospital about three weeks after the tragedy occurred. I was on the independent.ie site looking for some news story or other. Along the top there was the usual categories: News, Sport, Business, Opinion etc. etc. I shit you not, one of the categories was Berkeley Tragedy. Three weeks after the incident, it was being given a heading on a par with general important headings. I wish I had got a screenshot. I could not believe it. That is just total overkill. It seriously looked something like this:

NEWS | OPINION | BUSINESS | SPORT | BERKELEY TRAGEDY

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

8/10, OP; you're getting better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

I'd put big sign outside my window with an arrow pointing next door and the words "that's the house you are looking for".

Your timing is excellent anyway, a topical point.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/theyre-too-afraid-to-go-home-innocent-family-left-homeless-after-local-drugs-gang-set-their-home-on-fire-36057294.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

What a disgusting comment. None of those kids fell off the balcony, it collapsed.

Kids? They were all 21 or 22 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

If you are born in a stable, it doesn't mean you are a horse. But it does mean you smell like one.

Or in non-boggereese: You are the company you keep.

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Or in non-boggereese: You are the company you keep.

And those who keep a higher class of company deserve a higher level of law enforcement if they are the victims of crime?

• Site Banned Posts: 24 Missdoodle

That was their mother's house, "bottler" lives across the road

Ms Corbally was under investigation, along with "bottler" by CAB, in relation to 100,000 euro seized from accounts linked to both of the above, shortly time after his release from prison in late February 2015.

I still believe she is an innocent victim, along with Clint, misguided loyalty to her brothers and has always tried to steer both of them right, the law were dealing with Ms Corballys misgivings and rightly so, he was her brother not a major dublin criminal,she didn't deserve to be shot down in machine gun fire nor was Clint,

Clint gives someone a lift,recently makes friends with him and should know "bottler" was, is under threat and is a major Dublin criminal?

The two coked up pieces of ****e who carried out this supposed "gangland hit" need to be hounded, along with their "shot callers". They act with impunity and know it and it's only going to get worse.

Gardai cannot deal with all these feuds, they don't have the resources or manpower, with no support from management.

Illegal drugs, we created theses scumbags, with not up dating our drugs policies or investing in our gardai, as an organization..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

annascott wrote: »
    Druggie people on a rough estate getting shot is not deemed as tragic as innocent people getting shot. There is always a sense of "could that happen to me/people like me?" When it is a drug or gangland related feud, most just shrug and move on feeling that it is just a few more criminals off the streets.
    I am not saying that it is right, just how it is.

I knew the man who was killed. Tell me why we should shrug our shoulders when someone who set up their own business and had it thriving through his own hard work and honesty is butchered by animals?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Two men opened fire with automatic weapons in a residential area with children everywhere, but fcuk it who cares, live by the sword die by the sword. Two people who weren't involved in gangland died violently, but it's their own fault really for being related to people / being in the line of fire.

Stellar attitude, way to break the cycle. I'm sure this whole situation will be way better by the time those kids grow up as long as we keep telling them they don't matter.

Very sensible post. Reminds me of the time about 2 years back of the traveller feud in Balbriggan when one traveller was dropping his kids to school at 9am and another traveller starts firing gunshots at him. He takes off in the car at speed going up onto the footpath and nearly mowing down scores of children in the process. A relation is a councellor in that area and they are still councelling children on the trauma they were forced to witness that day. No 7 or 8 year old should have to see something like that and it will now be stuck in their heads for the rest of their lives yet they have to go to the exact same school every day where the incident happened. Was there outrage about this? Not one single jot, people just saw it as a traveller feud and sure thats what they do, etc. Nobody was outraged for the scores of children who witnessed an assassination attempt and nobody was calling for something practical to be done.
    If this was someone from a leafy road beside the embassies, then it would have been more newsworthy.

Generally people from outside of the rougher, single mother with many childer for the free gaff areas would not have the same level of empathy as they would for someone from their own area or a comparable area.

"Working Dalkey mother of 1 shot at home" = shocking mainline news
    "Ballymun stay at home mother of 6 shot at home" = expected behaviour due to the area's rep.

Like it or lump it, that's how we are as a society. If we weren't, then the killing of the ballymun mother would have been more noticed

Pretty much this. It is like how there are gangland shootings in North Strand on a constant basis. But there a few years ago the gang members had the termerity to attempt a gangland hit just 500m up the road in Fairview heading towards Clontarf. There was absolute uproar from the local residents (Joe Duffy being one of them). It was like the attitude is yis can kill all ye like in North Strand but as soon as you do that sh1t in Fairview then we are going to fight back. Unreal nimbyism especially as the two areas are only a few hundred meters apart.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Very sensible post.

Did you actually read the post??

"It's their own fault for being related to people"

Sensible is not the word I'd use to describe what was posted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

begbysback wrote: »

They were clearly being sarcastic and mocking the earlier post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I dont think E-bitch meant it like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Perhaps I should have made it clearer, but I was reacting with disgust to that attitude, not espousing it :p

osarusan wrote: »
    They were clearly being sarcastic and mocking the earlier post.

My bad - read it a second time there and still don't get that - anyways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Spider Web

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Very sensible post. Reminds me of the time about 2 years back of the traveller feud in Balbriggan when one traveller was dropping his kids to school at 9am and another traveller starts firing gunshots at him. He takes off in the car at speed going up onto the footpath and nearly mowing down scores of children in the process. A relation is a councellor in that area and they are still councelling children on the trauma they were forced to witness that day. No 7 or 8 year old should have to see something like that and it will now be stuck in their heads for the rest of their lives yet they have to go to the exact same school every day where the incident happened. Was there outrage about this? Not one single jot, people just saw it as a traveller feud and sure thats what they do, etc. Nobody was outraged for the scores of children who witnessed an assassination attempt and nobody was calling for something practical to be done.

Pretty much this. It is like how there are gangland shootings in North Strand on a constant basis. But there a few years ago the gang members had the termerity to attempt a gangland hit just 500m up the road in Fairview heading towards Clontarf. There was absolute uproar from the local residents (Joe Duffy being one of them). It was like the attitude is yis can kill all ye like in North Strand but as soon as you do that sh1t in Fairview then we are going to fight back. Unreal nimbyism especially as the two areas are only a few hundred meters apart.
    But isn't that human nature? Isn't it up to the people of North Strand themselves to fight back rather than the people of Fairview/Clontarf doing so on their behalf?

I don't get this "nimby" criticism tbh. Very easy to criticise people for concerns regarding their neighbourhood when not in their situation.

Perhaps I should have made it clearer, but I was reacting with disgust to that attitude, not espousing it :p

No - it looks like all others got it except me so I'll take the hit here - but we really could do with a sarcasm emoji round these parts,,.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Missdoodle wrote: »

Ms Corbally was under investigation, along with "bottler" by CAB, in relation to 100,000 euro seized from accounts linked to both of the above, shortly time after his release from prison in late February 2015.

Right, so she was involved with in all of this. 2017-08-17_iri_33800339_I4.JPG

There was only one way it was going to end so.

Heaven haz anotha angle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

And those who keep a higher class of company deserve a higher level of law enforcement if they are the victims of crime?

We're talking sympathy here, not policing spend/hours. Thread title is that way ^

• Registered Users Posts: 7,421 ✭✭✭tritium

Missdoodle wrote: »

I still believe she is an innocent victim, along with Clint, misguided loyalty to her brothers and has always tried to steer both of them right, the law were dealing with Ms Corballys misgivings and rightly so, he was her brother not a major dublin criminal,she didn't deserve to be shot down in machine gun fire nor was Clint,

Clint gives someone a lift,recently makes friends with him and should know "bottler" was, is under threat and is a major Dublin criminal?

The two coked up pieces of ****e who carried out this supposed "gangland hit" need to be hounded, along with their "shot callers". They act with impunity and know it and it's only going to get worse.

Gardai cannot deal with all these feuds, they don't have the resources or manpower, with no support from management.

Illegal drugs, we created theses scumbags, with not up dating our drugs policies or investing in our gardai, as an organization..

Its a bit more complex as i understand it. Theres basically been a feud for about 15 years now between 3 families there.

Not over drugs, not over stolen goods.... Over their rubbish bins :(

Violence between the families has been going on for that long. And it is between the families, not just one or two of them. About a decade ago one of the victims family were jailed for a drive by attempt on one of the other families. Its basically a ****in crazy situation that the families could have addressed years ago if they were so inclined

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭tomofson

tritium wrote: »
    Its a bit more complex as i understand it. Theres basically been a feud for about 15 years now between 3 families there.

Not over drugs, not over stolen goods.... Over their rubbish bins :(

Violence between the families has been going on for that long. And it is between the families, not just one or two of them. About a decade ago one of the victims family were jailed for a drive by attempt on one of the other families. Its basically a ****in crazy situation that the families could have addressed years ago if they were so inclined

I think that particular dispute ended a few years ago, Bottler has been feuding with different people and has even fell foul of the Kinahans.

Advertisement