Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Navy crash off Singapore leaves 10 Missing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Not to derail the thread but Israel knowingly opened fire on a US warship which included napalm attacks, killing 34 servicemen and injuring 171. McCain oversaw an inquiry and alongside the then president Lyndon Johnson somehow came to the conclusion it was an accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Not to derail the thread but Israel knowingly opened fire on a US warship which included napalm attacks, killing 34 servicemen and injuring 171. McCain oversaw an inquiry and alongside the then president Lyndon Johnson somehow came to the conclusion it was an accident.

"It was not the responsibility of the court to rule on the culpability of the attackers, and no evidence was heard from the attacking nation"

Right, so it doesn't say that. And next post, please provide proof that whatever you think McCain Sir did constitutes treason.

"It was not the responsibility of the court to rule on the culpability of the attackers, and no evidence was heard from the attacking nation"

Right, so it doesn't say that. And next post, please provide proof that whatever you think McCain Sir did constitutes treason.

When you put another nations interest ahead of your own your a traitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

This was obviously aliens.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

Your Face wrote: »
    This was obviously aliens.

illegals?

• Advertisement

Wossack wrote: »
    illegals?

Go on...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

Your Face wrote: »
    Go on...

build a wall!

/edit in the case of sky aliens, we might need a ceiling too

Wossack wrote: »
    build a wall!

/edit in the case of sky aliens, we might need a ceiling too

Woohoo! Here we go.

When you put another nations interest ahead of your own your a traitor.
    Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort.

Yeah, no. Treason has a specific meaning, you can't just make it up. Whoever is Americas enemy is for the government of America to decide, not you.

Yeah, no. Treason has a specific meaning, you can't just make it up. Whoever is Americas enemy is for the government of America to decide, not you.

If somebody knowingly attacked you would you call them an enemy or a friend?

• Advertisement

If somebody knowingly attacked you would you call them an enemy or a friend?
    Mmm, usually, I would agree, but Israel and America is a little bit more complex than that. Again, the US government called them allies, so there's not much to discuss. I won't defend Israel here btw, that incident was f'ed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,560 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

So news broke there last week that the USS John S McCain was involved in a collision with a merchant ship. 10 Sailors have are missing.

This is the 4th incident this year (According to RTE news) involving the US Navy ships colliding with Civilian shipping traffic.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0823/899390-us-navy/

USS Fitzgerald, almost sank off the coast of Japan after colliding with a Philippine container ship on 17 June
    USS Antietam ran aground near Yosuka, Japan
    USS Champlain collided with a South Korean fishing vessel in May

And now the US Navy have relieved the Admiral in charge of the 7th Fleet. (Joseph Aucoin)

The US claim they are "helping to protect freedom of navigation" in the Area.

However to me it looks more like that US is bullying/harassing Civilian traffic in the area.
    OR
    Something else it going on, It's to coincidental.

This isn't happening anywhere else in the world, so why is it happening here all of a sudden?
    Is this to do with NK or China's claim on the entire South China Sea?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,509 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Never ascribe to malice that which can be explained by incompetence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Where does propaganda come into all this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Probably statistics more so than coincidence.
    Higher traffic of US naval vessels in sector = higher probability of collisions.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Where does propaganda come into all this?

This are being claimed as accidents, which I don't think is correct.

I think something else is as play here.

We aren't hearing any of the Chinese Propaganda about this.
    Normally they'd be up in Arms about this (Given it was the 4th Collision) but nothing... not a peep!

Don't you think that's unusual?

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    Probably statistics more so than coincidence.
    Higher traffic of US naval vessels in sector = higher probability of collisions.

Agreed

Bit the South China Sea is one of the busiest shipping areas in the world.
    Why is no one else colliding?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Was Albert Gladstone Trotter on watch....that explains it
    "Not only have you managed to sink every battleship and aircraft carrier that you've ever sailed on, but now you've gone and knackered a gravy boat!"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,233 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Trumps statement: "I only like ships that don't collide"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

In contrast to commercial tankers, naval ships aren't usually short on power and are quite manoeuvrable, even the larger ones, so I'd have thought even if the other ship was playing silly buggers taking evasive action wouldn't be too difficult. Assuming everyone's doing their job properly, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,739 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Read a thread on reddit when the most recent one happened the other day, by all accounts the 7th Fleet which is the one operating in this part of Asia and the one all these ships are a part of is in an absolute shambles operationally and morale wise.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

MOD Threads merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

grahambo wrote: »
    Agreed

Bit the South China Sea is one of the busiest shipping areas in the world.
    Why is no one else colliding?

Well if it is true indeed that no one else is then the questions are valid.
    But I haven't seen that data.

What advantage do they get from damaging their own vessels?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

We aren't hearing any of the Chinese Propaganda about this.
    They reported it very straight. http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/world/2017-08/21/content_30897301.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 40,214 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

the commander of the US 7th fleet has been dismissed. Not really a shock.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41020729

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

This are being claimed as accidents, which I don't think is correct.

I think something else is as play here.

Like what exactly ,

If there not accidents what are they

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

This seems to happen often enough.

Didnt a Russian surveillance ship crash into a sheep transport vessel a couple of months ago?

Then again, whats that old phrase?

one's an incident,
    two's a coincidence,
    three's a pattern,
    Four is enemy action

Gatling wrote: »
    Like what exactly ,

If there not accidents what are they

I don't have the answer to that.
    Only that it is exceptionally unusual for the 4 accidents to occur in such a short space of time in just one area.
    And also, at I time when tensions are high in the Area.

The Fitzgerald was almost lost, the US hasn't lost a a ship at sea in very long time.

I'm not suggesting something like "Tomorrow Never Dies/HMS Devonshire" is at play, but these ships are fitted with GPS, Radar, Sonar, etc. The Warships are fast and maneuverable. And the Sea is a big place, It just seems very suspicious to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,214 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I don't have the answer to that.
    Only that it is exceptionally unusual for the 4 accidents to occur in such a short space of time in just one area.
    And also, at I time when tensions are high in the Area.

The Fitzgerald was almost lost, the US hasn't lost a a ship at sea in very long time.

I'm not suggesting something like "Tomorrow Never Dies/HMS Devonshire" is at play, but these ships are fitted with GPS, Radar, Sonar, etc. The Warships are fast and maneuverable. And the Sea is a big place, It just seems very suspicious to me.

Well that one area is the pacific. there is a thousand miles separating the latest incident from the fitzgerald incident.

Advertisement