Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Navy crash off Singapore leaves 10 Missing

Options

Comments

How is the merchant vessel?

Also that link is behind a paywall.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

"it came from a funny angle"

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

That's a bit mad actually 2 vessels in a few weeks badly damaged ,

• Registered Users Posts: 40,214 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Gatling wrote: »
    That's a bit mad actually 2 vessels in a few weeks badly damaged ,

i was thinking that myself. After the news in the last few days that the CO, XO and senior enlisted man on the Fitzgerald have had their careers ended you would think captains would be a bit more vigilant.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

how did they not see an oil tanker?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Francona said no matter what the tanker did, the faster, more-nimble US destroyer should have been able to avoid a collision.
    "How does a state-of-the-art Navy destroyer equipped with multiple radar systems and communications gear with a full bridge watch not see, detect and evade a 30,000 ton slow-moving (10 knots) behemoth?" Francona asked.

Says it all really.

Sad (probable) loss of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The other branches like to slag the navy, maybe they have a point...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

how did they not see an oil tanker?

No automatic proximity alert, no radar? :cool:

ISIS will be watching this closely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Seems very strange this is the second within a short space of time. I wonder if we are getting the full details?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    Seems very strange this is the second within a short space of time. I wonder if we are getting the full details?

It is the 4th this year.There was a ship struck by a south korean fishing boat and another ship ran aground entering a harbour in japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭stevedublin

With the American's wanting to blame anything and everything on the Russian's it's hard to tell. Could be just tin foil hat nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Jaysus they have a war ship named after one of the biggest traitors in American history.

Hopefully the missing sailors are found safe and sound although it doesnt sound too good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

That thought entered my head too. But in such a congested shipping lane, would it not have affected more ships? It would have to be targeted to affect just one or two ships, and would the jamming device not have to be located near where the incident occurred.

Either way it very odd how 2 US Navy vessels collide with 2 tankers within a short space of time. I did see in a CNN article this morning where someone reported that the ships steering stopped working for a time before the crash.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

That thought entered my head too. But in such a congested shipping lane, would it not have affected more ships? It would have to be targeted to affect just one or two ships, and would the jamming device not have to be located near where the incident occurred.

Either way it very odd how 2 US Navy vessels collide with 2 tankers within a short space of time. I did see in a CNN article this morning where someone reported that the ships steering stopped working for a time before the crash.

They dont rely on GPS to avoid collisions with other ships.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

I can understand that. But it wouldn't necessarily have to be a GPS jammer or spoofer. Could be something else. Would it even be possible to hack into a ships systems?

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

I can understand that. But it wouldn't necessarily have to be a GPS jammer or spoofer. Could be something else. Would it even be possible to hack into a ships systems?

the new scientist article specifically referred to gps spoofing so i was responding to that. Not sure how the russians could hack the Mark 1 Eyeball.

Interesting alright. You'd imagine these ships have someone on the bridge 24/7 keeping an eye out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Jaysus they have a war ship named after one of the biggest traitors in American history.
    Elaborate?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Elaborate?

Basically swept the Israeli attack on the US Liberty under the carpet.

That's not really elaborating. Are you on about John McCain?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

That's a bit vague. All I see that he did was convene a Court of Inquiry, which isn't exactly hiding the fact? Also, how is that treason?

You should ask Americans if they consider the McCains (the ship is also named after his father) traitors. I don't think your view will be very well received.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

That's a bit vague. All I see that he did was convene a Court of Inquiry, which isn't exactly hiding the fact? Also, how is that treason?

You should ask Americans if they consider the McCains (the ship is also named after his father) traitors. I don't think your view will be very well received.

Probably because very few of them know about Israel's attack on US forces.

Thats the difference in a free media and an impartial media.

Zebra3 wrote: »

Here we go again ..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Gatling wrote: »
    Here we go again ..

Fascinating insight. :rolleyes:

It's quite possible .

But you can't spoof human eyes and ears there should have been multiple watch outs on duty ,as well as the bridge fully manned

• Advertisement

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Probably because very few of them know about Israel's attack on US forces.

but yet somehow you know about it. They're not doing a very good job of hiding it are they?

Advertisement