Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My WEBSDr Is Now Online.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭icom

Malin SDR:

WWKB Buffalo NY strong now 1520 kHz
    Talk Sport (Buffalo's Home For Sports) 50 KW

Station on 1500 Khz too. Don't know what it is some fading but clear at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,544 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

That would most likely be WFED Washington. Another regular one is 1510 WMEX Boston. Lots of videos on line showing reception of those in Europe. No possibility of confusing them with Canada, as there are no Canadian stations. I go to Wikipedia for a list of stations in North and South America on a frequency.

I had a quick listen at 8.30 this morning on the Donegal receiver. Heard CKNB Campbellton New Brunswick 950 kHz very clear. I have heard it before. Very quiet frequency in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭Antenna

Another regular one is 1510 WMEX Boston.

not anymore.
    that station had gone off the air completely (lost transmitter site) but has returned with just low power, unlikely now to be heard over here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WMEX_(AM)

When it was a sports station some years ago (with different callsign) it was easy enough to hear over here.
    The high power Dutch transmitter on 1008 kHz is gone, which opens up 1010 for transatlantic reception. Spain is on 1008, but can be nulled out making WINS New York very clear at times. There is another US or Canada station which competes with WINS at times.

The other station is 'Newstalk 1010 - CFRB ' Toronto, its was more likely to be on top of WINS on 1010 (at least the times I tried)

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭icom

Malin SDR

1440 - WGVL FOX Sports 1440 Greenville SC -Very Loud

590 VOCM - St. John's, Newfoundland - very clear

1500 - KSTP - St Paul Minnesota - Use AM Narrow for a clear signal

• Advertisement

Yeah his grounding into a salt water marsh is probably helping reception ! :D

CFCB 570 and CKCM 620 are carrying the same programmes as VOCM, which includes announcing as VOCM after each song. They probably ID with their own station names on the hour. All three are in Newfoundland, with the same owners. Tune to about 618 in Narrow AM to avoid 621. This is on the Donegal receiver.

When conditions are good there must be dozens of stations from US and Canada which can be heard. I also heard the pirate station from Dundalk on 1494 kHz, very faint and only at times. It is super strong in Dundalk, but only usable to about 10 miles out.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Seán MacSuibhne

https://www.rtl-sdr.com/reducing-hf-electrical-noise-by-using-a-faraday-cage-for-switch-mode-power-supplies/Very interesting article on Reducing HF Electrical Noise by Using a Faraday Cage for Switch-Mode Power Supplies

What's needed more than anything is to make sure these power supplies, laptop, mobile phone and led lights comply with regulations which state there should be no interfering radio emissions.

Worst PSUs I saw were one powering a linux satellite box and dirt cheap tiny Iphone charger, this iphone charger was so bad it sent interference down the house electric wiring.

The EV charge point also does this all for the sake of leaving out some filtering components , it's a joke !

I've even binned some junk led lights supplied by Woodies, cheap horrible crap, get Philips they are much better and not that Woodies branded muck especially no name LED floodlights which have a bad reputation for breaking !

Get good O'l halogen lights, I got a 400 Watt recently, saw LED flood light for 60 Euro's , no thanks. The light would not be on all day to matter, if it's on a half hour a night is the max that would take years to recover the costs.

The damage now I see in the country is that people are leaving these lights on all night now polluting everywhere with light pointing in the sky and not to the ground, it needs to be knocked on the head sooner rather than later.

Besides, people don't realise how much a 20 watt led on 10-12 hrs every night can add to their yearly bill never mind several of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

What's needed more than anything is to make sure these power supplies, laptop, mobile phone and led lights comply with regulations which state there should be no interfering radio emissions.

Worst PSUs I saw were one powering a linux satellite box and dirt cheap tiny Iphone charger, this iphone charger was so bad it sent interference down the house electric wiring.

The EV charge point also does this all for the sake of leaving out some filtering components , it's a joke !

I've even binned some junk led lights supplied by Woodies, cheap horrible crap, get Philips they are much better and not that Woodies branded muck especially no name LED floodlights which have a bad reputation for breaking !

Get good O'l halogen lights, I got a 400 Watt recently, saw LED flood light for 60 Euro's , no thanks. The light would not be on all day to matter, if it's on a half hour a night is the max that would take years to recover the costs.

The damage now I see in the country is that people are leaving these lights on all night now polluting everywhere with light pointing in the sky and not to the ground, it needs to be knocked on the head sooner rather than later.

Besides, people don't realise how much a 20 watt led on 10-12 hrs every night can add to their yearly bill never mind several of them.

Many years back when I was working in the UK we had terrible problems with the ADSL internet connection, only on some days. BT and the ISP were unable to locate the issue and always blamed our equipment. In the end BT sent in a troubleshooter to help (a service now long gone). A few days later a chap about 65 - 70 years of age came to the office (leather doctors case) and introduced himself as the BT troubleshooter.

He produced a direction antenna from his bag and swung it round the office, zeroing in on a Chinese camera and power supply we had been testing for some months. He instructed us to unplug it and the internet returned to good speeds and stability. He explained that sometimes when the switch mode power supplies go wrong they generate huge amounts of RFI which cripples ADSL. The power supply was on the windowsill and it only generated lots of RFI when the sun was shining and heating it up.

Great WebSDR by the way, was listening on 20m the other day.

• Advertisement

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    Many years back when I was working in the UK we had terrible problems with the ADSL internet connection, only on some days. BT and the ISP were unable to locate the issue and always blamed our equipment. In the end BT sent in a troubleshooter to help (a service now long gone). A few days later a chap about 65 - 70 years of age came to the office (leather doctors case) and introduced himself as the BT troubleshooter.

He produced a direction antenna from his bag and swung it round the office, zeroing in on a Chinese camera and power supply we had been testing for some months. He instructed us to unplug it and the internet returned to good speeds and stability. He explained that sometimes when the switch mode power supplies go wrong they generate huge amounts of RFI which cripples ADSL. The power supply was on the windowsill and it only generated lots of RFI when the sun was shining and heating it up.

Great WebSDR by the way, was listening on 20m the other day.

Thanks, yes this noise is getting out of control and there is nothing being done about all these illegal power supplied, led lights.

I have a MFJ power line noise detector which is most useful for locating noise from ESB poles and noise in general.

I am going to use the WebSDR next week to test my 25 year old homemade 80m CW transceiver. I found it in the loft the other day so I am going to refurb it..

Please let us know how it goes. :)

Hi OP

Just a note of appreciation, really enjoy using it...

Will hopefully get that QRP test underway this week, at the moment just brushing up on my CW ready for the test, using your SDR to listen on the CW bands. If I can hear the signal I am going to start dialling down the power from the initial 1 watt, and see how low we can go.

It was down for a while yesterday, I assume you were making changes. I used another KiwiSDR in the US, amazing how much slow morse there is on the bands stateside.

Anyway thanks again...

Hi OP

Just a note of appreciation, really enjoy using it...

Will hopefully get that QRP test underway this week, at the moment just brushing up on my CW ready for the test, using your SDR to listen on the CW bands. If I can hear the signal I am going to start dialling down the power from the initial 1 watt, and see how low we can go.

It was down for a while yesterday, I assume you were making changes. I used another KiwiSDR in the US, amazing how much slow morse there is on the bands stateside.

Anyway thanks again...

Welcome and glad you use it and like it.

I was not aware it was down yesterday, both of them, for how long ? I was in bed after night shift.

I am unfortunately, suffering increasing amounts of bad QRM which I am almost certain is coming from the ESB network and I had one of the ESB crew call me up about it but I told him I needed time to search for the offending pole/poles.

Winter is not a good time for going through fields in the dark with electric fences everywhere + hedges meaning you just can't go from pole to pole , oh no, got to come back out the field the way you came, walk to the next field entrance and find the next pole and so on, it's tough.

I have a MFJ power line noise detector which is great but you need to be pretty close to the source so I will try go out and find the hell it is over the next few days that I am off weather dependent of course.

The noise is getting worse.

ping.JPG

OP its down now.

See attached, could it be a slow dynamic dns update ?

Try again, seems to be working fine for me and I connect from external not internal network so if it's working for me should be for everyone. That's not to say it wasn't down at that time which could be related to three mobile internet, the signal here isn't good for the sdr modem.

I have the main house on separate internet with external 4G antenna which greatly improves signal and speed and I must get one for the SDR modem but adds to the cost.

When I start transmitting I'm not sure what I'm going to do because it will fry the Kiwis if I overload with such a close string signal.

Haha, yeah I notice issues now which could be weather related. The house internet is down on speed a lot and is less responsive.

I long for the day I can get a proper internet connection but thanks to Eir this is not possible.

OK I am in but its slow and stuttering.

Better now.

I think pings are being filtered, either by the Kiwi or the mobile provider.

My connection is not mobile, its wireless broadband.

By the way you have done a good job with noise, much better than most web sdrs..

• Advertisement

Yes I think the modem filters pings, think I saw the setting set to stop pings.

By the way you have done a good job with noise, much better than most web sdrs..

Thanks a lot ! ;)

You wouldn't believe the torment I went through to get it that good but I do have a lot of noise from the ESB grid which is getting worse and need to find the source but it's hard this time of year to get out and walk through fields.

I am not happy with it now with this noise but yes, it's a lot better than some setups but a lot of Kiwi owners have poor antennas and / or live in areas of high noise. Some just attach a random length of wire and that's all but this will never provide good results and usually attract a lot of noise.

Does anyone know where the station on 1476 kHz is coming from? I heard it first a few days ago, and I think it is very new. Very strong on the SDR and on SDR's in England. There is no broadcaster listed in the UK except a low power 250 watt transmitter.

Non stop oldies music anytime I listened except Sunday which had a programme call Supersonic Seventies with a DJ. But I suspect that was a recording from the old days, and it is an Irish pirate station..

Does anyone know where the station on 1476 kHz is coming from? I heard it first a few days ago, and I think it is very new. Very strong on the SDR and on SDR's in England. There is no broadcaster listed in the UK except a low power 250 watt transmitter.

Non stop oldies music anytime I listened except Sunday which had a programme call Supersonic Seventies with a DJ. But I suspect that was a recording from the old days, and it is an Irish pirate station..

Is this on my sdr or the Malin ?

I don't hear oldies now only typical modern radio "crap" whinging and screaming into a mic.

To answer my own question, it identified at 9 pm as Carillon Wellbeing Radio, broadcasting to Leicestershire. But there is no way that a 250 watt operation from there can be giving such strong reception on Ireland.

http://carillonradio.com/

https://www.mwlist.org/mwlist_quick_and_easy.php?area=1&kHz=1476

250 Kw is a lot of juice.

0.25 KW, 250 watts. Very strong on your SDR. Malin is off this last few days.

0.25 KW, 250 watts. Very strong on your SDR. Malin is off this last few days.

Oops, 0.25 Kw haha, must be the Rioja haha.

250 watts, hmm yeah that can't be right at all.

Malin is off ? never noticed, might send him an email to see what's up.

• Advertisement

1476 Khz are playing decent music again lol.

Advertisement