Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My WEBSDr Is Now Online.

Options

Comments

malinsdr antenna is now 200 meters long ! fair play to him. I will update his sdr to reflect the antenna soon, it's still showing 120 meters.

hearing U.S station at 1390 and 1400 Khz.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭icom

Yep good SDR, beverage antenna, he's a very interesting fellow, I got his Kiwi SDR online for him.

He used to work for the Coast Guard up there in Malin Head and was the radio operator of the station up there.

station.

Nice fella, did my morse code test up there in 1987, he was the tester.

CJYQ (930 Kixx Country) loud on 930Khz right now from Canada on the Malin SDR, some fading from time to time.

Also listening on their website to confirm.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CJYQ

1660 Khz Malin SDR - WQLR Kalamazoo Michigan - Deep fading

Live American Football now

Kalamazoo's Sports Radio
    1660 AM Kalamazoo, MI

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WQLR

01:01 Malin SDR
    1640 KHz WTNI BILOXI, Mississippi (The Champ Sports Radio) Football Game

01:25 Malin SDR
    WINS (1010 kHz) New York - World International News Service 50KW - Chat Radio

01:34 Malin SDR
    WXKS (1200 kHz, "Talk 1200") Newton, Massachusetts 50 KW - under a UK station

• Registered Users Posts: 20,541 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

A good time to listen to trans Atlantic medium wave at this time of year is around dawn. The propagation from the West can peak then and signals from the East are fading out. This cuts down some of the high power stuff from Europe. When Saudi disappears off 1440 kHz, weak signals from America can be heard. The strongest signals with me on a consistent basis are 590, 750, 830, 1010 and 1130. 1130 is WBBR which identifies as Bloomberg Radio. Signals fade out gradually but can often be heard until noon or beyond. As always everything depends on conditions. Instead of using SSB to minimise interference, it can be better to tune a bit off frequency in Narrow AM mode, e.g. tune to 731 kHz to improve reception on 730.

On a different subject, some people may not know that the online SDR's can decode various digital signals. These can be selected from the Extension drop down menu. Navtex on 518 and 490 kHz is a good place to start. These are navigational notices for shipping, broadcast at set times from coastal stations. The signals from Malin Head and Valentia Radio are very strong in Ireland. The ships and boats which use these broadcasts have dedicated Navtex receivers with built in printers to make paper copies.

http://dxinfocentre.com/navtex.htm

• Advertisement

Cheers, I'll check out those frequencies next time I'm back to work sometime around the 11th Jan, finished my last shift Monday morning. It's handy and a great time to catch some DX.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭WHL

Malin Head SDR seems to be down over the last few days. I see that there is a new KiwiSDR location in Kilkenny. Might be just setting up though. Tried the Volmet stations on 5450 and 5505 and nothing heard although both were strong on the Carlow one

WHL wrote: »
    Malin Head SDR seems to be down over the last few days. I see that there is a new KiwiSDR location in Kilkenny. Might be just setting up though. Tried the Volmet stations on 5450 and 5505 and nothing heard although both were strong on the Carlow one

I sent the owner of Malin SDR an email to see if he's having issues, I set it up for him, remotely. Might be having some issues I can help with.

Interesting to see the Kilkenny SDR, it will be interesting to see how the end fed antenna performs, a lot of HAM operators go with traditional antennas for their Kiwis and while a lot of them are good for transmitting they can be noisy on receive.

Can't wait to see it online properly, the more the merrier.

Malin Head hasn’t returned and the Kilkenny one seems to have disappeared. Looks like just your two Carlow ones remaining

The Malin Kiwi owner was experimenting with antennas, he builds his own transmitters too, mainly operates CW on LF.

The issue is that if transmitting at more than a few watts it could damage the Kiwi, if I get my Amateur licence in May then I will face the same issue, it will most likely damage the two kiwi's at 100 Watts with transmitting antenna so close. So I will have to disconnect the Kiwi's when transmitting which will be a real Pain in the ass because they're in the shed and my Ham shack won't be in the shed.

This is going to complicate things a lot and the Malin Kiwi owner had not realised how much of an issue this can be so I guess he will connect it back up in the new year, I'd imagine he's a bit busy this time of the year.

I don't know what the story is with the Kilkenny SDR, again, probably too busy this time of the year.

• Advertisement

http://93.89.254.25:8073/

Listen to Zenith Radio 5850 Khz, see how strong it on the Kilkenny SDR, can hardly be heard on mine or on one of the U.K SDR's but can be heard decent in the Netherlands, http://kiwi-sdr1-leiden.impactam.nl:8073/

Never heard of this before, their site says Waterford but no mention of Shortwave.

Obviously due to propagation the signal being transmitted in Ireland is going right over Ireland and the U.K and landing in the Netherlands and probably further.

His antenna, the DX Commander vertical doesn't seem to be picking up anything really ?

There must be a transmitter on the Continent and another very low power one near the Kilkenny SDR location. The signal is 50 dB over S9 and there is no way that it would not be heard by your receiver if it was the signal which is reaching Holland. That is not how propagation behaves on 49 metres at night in wintertime.

There is also a hobby pirate transmitting from Dundalk, mostly on 1611 kHz but sometimes on 6318. Massively strong signal in the town, but inaudible about 10 miles out, indicating a very low power operation.

There must be a transmitter on the Continent and another very low power one near the Kilkenny SDR location. The signal is 50 dB over S9 and there is no way that it would not be heard by your receiver if it was the signal which is reaching Holland. That is not how propagation behaves on 49 metres at night in wintertime.

There is also a hobby pirate transmitting from Dundalk, mostly on 1611 kHz but sometimes on 6318. Massively strong signal in the town, but inaudible about 10 miles out, indicating a very low power operation.

No I don't think so because on the continent the signal was not nearly as strong, I couldn't find any sdr that had the signal nearly as strong and on the same frequency ?

What would be the point of a very low power transmitter that can't be heard very far away in Ireland ?

Interesting.......

I see that the Malin Head SDR has returned. Nice addition

I see that the Malin Head SDR has returned. Nice addition

Yes, his antenna is 200 meters long beverage, great for LW/MW Dx'ing.

He's more interested in this part of the spectrum and below.

That’s good to know. Thanks Mad Lad. Must try some transatlantic DX on it

That’s good to know. Thanks Mad Lad. Must try some transatlantic DX on it

Maybe dxhound2005 will come along and update us with any more U.S stations he's heard ? :D

The high power Dutch transmitter on 1008 kHz is gone, which opens up 1010 for transatlantic reception. Spain is on 1008, but can be nulled out making WINS New York very clear at times. There is another US or Canada station which competes with WINS at times. Some nights/mornings there is no reception, it all depends on the conditions. The other most consistent station is probably VOCM Canada 590 kHz.

Good to see the Donegal SDR back, but when I checked it now there are no signals. Maybe the antenna is not connected.

http://www.southgatearc.org/news/2018/december/am-stations-fall-silent.htm#.XGso3ej7SUk

The high power Dutch transmitter on 1008 kHz is gone, which opens up 1010 for transatlantic reception. Spain is on 1008, but can be nulled out making WINS New York very clear at times. There is another US or Canada station which competes with WINS at times. Some nights/mornings there is no reception, it all depends on the conditions. The other most consistent station is probably VOCM Canada 590 kHz.

Good to see the Donegal SDR back, but when I checked it now there are no signals. Maybe the antenna is not connected.

http://www.southgatearc.org/news/2018/december/am-stations-fall-silent.htm#.XGso3ej7SUk

If he's transmitting he will have to remove the antenna from the SDR to prevent damage from the strong signal.

This will be a challenge for me also if I pass my Amateur Radio test in May.

• Advertisement

Canadian station 1010 Khz coming in strong on the Malin SDR, can hear it strong on mine too at times but I get more interference from Spanish stations where I live.

The good thing about SDR's is that you can null out neighboring stations unless they are too close.

Malin SDR pulling in U.S hams well from 3.9 Mhz to 3.95 Mhz.

I got a lot of ESB generated QRM which I have to investigate.

Malin SDR picking up some U.S / Canada stations pretty strong, some fading and interference at times.

1010 Khz, two stations on this frequency both strong. One station CBS I think it is, almost S10 peaking S20 !
    1020 Khz lots of fading

What's very interesting is that the Spanish station is blasting on my sdr on 1008 Khz and hardly audible on Malin,

U.S/Canadian station on 660 Khz

Malin SDR - VOCM (Voice of The Common Man) strong on 590 kHz
    St John's, Newfoundland.

Listening on their website to confirm.

Spanish station comes up strong when it fades, but most of the time it's fairly good.

Malin SDR:

WINS (1010 kHz), New York 50 KW
    Talk Sports, fading in and out but getting stronger now

Reception is poor so far tonight. CBC Radio One 750 kHz. Also on 1400.

I'll check them out later, working nights I can scan all the bands in the early hours of the mornings, :-)

Reception is poor so far tonight. CBC Radio One 750 kHz. Also on 1400.

Yeah, last night was better on Medium Wave alright. Had a listen on the top of the 80 metre band and a few mid west stations were coming through on 3.795 working a strong station in Croatia around 2am. Checked 160 metres and heard two US hams having a ragchew before I hit the hay.

• Advertisement

icom wrote: »
    Yeah, last night was better on Medium Wave alright. Had a listen on the top of the 80 metre band and a few mid west stations were coming through on 3.795 working a strong station in Croatia around 2am. Checked 160 metres and heard two US hams having a ragchew before I hit the hay.

Check the X (Extra) Band as well 1600 to 1700, 10 kHz channels. The transmitters are weaker, but they are clear channels. Except for some Dutch and Greek pirates in between, and Coast stations in SSB with maritime notices.

Advertisement