Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Project Cars 2

Options
  • 18-08-2017 9:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,795 ✭✭✭✭

Been following development of this. Actually getting quite hyped. Seems to be heavy focus on physics and realism.. whether they nail it or not remains to be seen, but early impressions on the alpha/beta version they sent to press seem to be generally good

Bendy tyre physics, laser-scanning, photo telemetry.. a new race license system (to decrease online toxic play).. that dynamic weather system where one half the track will be wet in the shade but other parts will dry up
    www.projectcarsgame.com/project-cars-2-faq.html

Of course if they have screw up the physics again - it's just another arcade racer, but so far.. signs are not too bad, fingers crossed

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Looks like more of the same as pc1 according to latest impressions from the likes of gamer muscle and jimmy broadbendt etc, seems to be another simcade title and the likes of iracing,rfactor2,assetto corsa,automobilista have nothing to worry about.

Not at all surprised myself and its exactly what i expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,795 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Going to wait until release and proper reviews - it's been repeated that the cars haven't been tuned properly for the press version and the initial setups are to favor players with controllers (who will be the majority of purchasers)

I remember Dirt 4 being slated the second it came out for having worse handling that Dirt Rally, only to read comments and find many sim-racers and actual rally drivers agreeing that some of the physics (on certain cars) were actually more realistic than Dirt Rally

Update: Jimmy Broadbent gives it another go and plays the press release version in VR, GT40 on Spa and calls it a mix between iRacing and Assetto

More VR from Jimmy

Hopefully they address ffb more than anything in pcars 2, physics while not great would of been acceptable if the force feedback was good, instead one had to spend hours upon hours finding a semi decent ffb setting for each car.
    Just like pcars pcars 2 is shipping with an absolute tonne of content, if they physics are even half decent but with good ffb i might purchase but ill await reviews from my trusted sources.

Re Dirt 4, imo its nowhere near dirt rally, ive given it over 30 hours and it just feels wrong and arcadey to me.
    When playing it i just end up shutting it down and enjoying diry rally instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

From what I've heard around the camp fire, Jimmy is using an OSW and this is the route cause of his FFB issues.

I have it on good authority that the ffb feels fantastic on any of the officially supported wheels.

It's also supposed to be vastly improved over PCars 1 if you are using a controller, as in, it's actually playable this time around.

SMS already had lots of bases covered with their first attempt, lots of options, lots of tracks, good graphics etc.

They seem to have taken note of the raft of complaints from PCars 1 and have set about addressing them for PCars 2. I can't wait to get my hands on it. My pre-order is going in next payday.

On good authority from who?

• Advertisement

About what?

This.
    I have it on good authority that the ffb feels fantastic on any of the officially supported wheels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Feckoffcup

Do u buy cars like with gran turismo?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭thurlesdrunk

Feckoffcup wrote:

No, all cars are available from the beginning. No need to buy or unlock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

Feckoffcup wrote: »

No, but in career mode you will be limited in which catagories you can race. There's 6 tiers, and Tiers 1 and 2 are locked.

Outside of the career mode, you should be able to race any car in the game.

• Advertisement

Dcully wrote: »
    This.
    From people who are playing the game, people on the SMS forums, there's tons of info out there.
    There are now ffb presets that can be changed on the fly.
    There are also multiple base tunes for each car that will work better for controller or wheel users.

VVV just released a video of them playing PCars 2 on a standard PS4 and they gave it a very positive review.

With all that said though, I'm still very apprehensive as to how good the game will be at launch. I hope SMS have learned their lesson.

At least we'll have AC to play until a patch or two gets released.

Id ignore both SMS forums and your man from VVV,both seriously biassed sources of info.
    Ive learned that lesson from the Pcars 1 hype train.

The main sim streamers and youtubers are saying its only okay in terms of physics,better than pcars 1 but still not on the level of automobilista,rfactor2,assetto corsa,raceroom or iracing then again it never was going to be despite the BS SMS and Ian Bell will try to tell us.

If the physics are even half decent with decent FFB options it might be worth a shot though, its real strength is going to be volume of content in the shape of cars and tracks.

If they just market the game somewhere between the real simulators on PC and non sim racers people will accept it for what it is.

Look at F1 2017 , in no way is it a full on sim , it sits between full on sim and so called simcade but its just a lot of fun to play.

SMS simply do not have to ability imho to create a simulator in the mould of the ones mentioned above, i wish i was wrong and sincerely would love to be proven wrong.

Market pcars2 to sit somewhere alongside f1 2017 on the sim scale and they could have a very successful game on their hands.

Having said all that the streamers and guys with access could all be wrong and it could have a great physics engine, ofcourse physics can be subjective so who knows it could have a really enjoyable driving physics/model, fingers crossed it will.

You're spot on about that tool from VVV, that's why I didn't even link the video. He pulled the very same shiite just before PCars 1 dropped and I haven't watched one of their videos since.

On consoles, SMS have the content and options market cornered alright. But if their cars don't have the same lovely weighty feel of AC then there's not much point.

We pretty much have to take what we're given on console though. I haven't pre-ordered it yet, I'm hoping to find out what it's really like from someone who manages to get their hands on an early copy next week.

Some reviews in:

IGN
    http://ie.ign.com/articles/2017/09/18/project-cars-2-review

Eurogamer
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-09-18-project-cars-2-review

Overall sense seems to be handling is improved, but not the best out there. And sounds like there's quite a few bugs, including the "old skip to the end of qualifying" chessnut that was present in the first game.

They both seem to agree that the ffb and handling aren't exactly spectacular either.
    Not cool.

I don't see any mention of the ffb in either review?

I don't see any mention of the ffb in either review?

From the Eurogamer review.

"On a half-decent wheel it's a different story, of course, and with a good set-up the cars do a lot more talking. There's still not quite enough weight there to trouble the likes of Assetto Corsa or iRacing - in my opinion, at least - and so Project Cars 2's rides end up enjoyable but never quite excellent."

The IGN review paints a very different picture though. Who do we believe?!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,795 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

It's subjective, wait for the experts to get a proper hands on and then there should be a general consensus on the good and the bad

This review from ISR sounds promising, he said himself that he didn't like the physics or ffb in PCars 1.
    It was recorded in June this year so I can only assume that SMS have only improved it further.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgi4aadWN6s&t=20s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Some reviews popping up now

• Advertisement

I just pulled the trigger on a digital copy, no work for me tomorrow. Roll on midnight.

I just pulled the trigger on a digital copy, no work for me tomorrow. Roll on midnight.

Tried not to get too hyped up the last few months but really looking forward to this now, off to London for the weekend and it will be waiting for me on my return.

Haven't played a good racing game in years.

Tried not to get too hyped up the last few months but really looking forward to this now, off to London for the weekend and it will be waiting for me on my return.

Haven't played a good racing game in years.

Are you on PS4? There's a good group of us that race online together. You're more than welcome to join us anytime.

Does anyone know if Argos typically have games in stock on release day? They're usually the cheapest.

Are you on PS4? There's a good group of us that race online together. You're more than welcome to join us anytime.

Yes I am actually, I will send you over my PSN via PM. Great news

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭thurlesdrunk

Yes I am actually, I will send you over my PSN via PM. Great news

Watch out for titzon on turn 1! 😉😅

Watch out for titzon on turn 1! 😉😅

Go away outta that, I hang back to avoid the first corner crashes.
    I like to get you halfway through the race.

What are people's impressions so far?

I have it on Xbox One and it is full of bugs, but there's the potential for a great game if get most of them sorted.

In fairness, the first game started out the same way. Feel a bit like a beta tester, but will stick with it.

Its okay, better than pc1 in terms of physics and ffb for sure but still not near the usual sims on pc.
    However its really inconsistent , some cars feel okay and others not so.
    AI are terrible, tire screeching sound is like something from sinclair zx spectrum back in the 80s, im sure it will be modded on PC.

On the plus side it has a tonne of content,overall its not bad but a lot better options out there on PC.
    Console owners looking for something new to go alongside assetto corsa then yeah its a good option.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Feckoffcup

Gt is the only true sim, am i right?

Advertisement