Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American company microchips employees..

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Opening this web page in in After Hours there are at least six trackers, unless you have specifically blocked them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Amazing how people have warmed to this big brother technology in recent times for convenience, despite all the Snowden leaks and all the times the big megacorps have shown that they can't be trusted. If you said 15 years ago people would be reacting positively to the possibility of getting chipped you'd be called a tinfoil hatter and chased out of the room and into the mental asylum.

Though the pessimist in me thinks there is no need for microchipping people the way things are going. With immersive VR people will turn their backs on real life in droves. People will sit, eat, sleep and live in their modern city apartments funded by universal basic income. They'll have a modernised version of the dumbwaiter to bring them food and a variety of drinks available on tap and there'll be no need for them to go outside the door at all.

Anyone watching soaps will use VR to join in with the drama instead. Instead of climbing a mountain where one slip could send you plummeting people will climb virtual mountains instead. They'll have virtual mountains higher than everest with a funky curved bit sticking up out of the top and you can fall off as many times as you like. No need to track anyone they'll be home 100% of the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

So I assume when workers leave the company will cover any removal procedure?

If one were to go to another company wouldn't fancy having several chips implanted over a working career

• Registered Users Posts: 18,942 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

So I assume when workers leave the company will cover any removal procedure?

If one were to go to another company wouldn't fancy having several chips implanted over a working career

It'll be a lot easier to remove an RFID chip the size of a grain of rice than the tattoos and massive stretched piercings that you see people with, yet no one is complaining about something that makes you instantly recognisable from several metres while RFID only works for a few centimetres.

The chip is unique to you so you'll only need 1 no matter how many companies you go to. At the moment in my job I have to carry 3 RFID chips for different access, and in my wallet I've 3 RFID cards, so I already have loads of the chips on my person.

It's not even work that people are using RFID for. It makes loads of things easier

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.newscientist.com/article/dn5022-clubbers-choose-chip-implants-to-jump-queues/amp/

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

George Orwell's 1984 comes to mind, as does Aldous Huxley's Brave New World. Thin edge of a very big wedge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Can you get the implant in your middle finger?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Amazing the people treating this like some sort of global tracking device etc.

If it was anything more than a small RFID chip you might have a point, but have a look at the scope of the tech before putting the tinfoil hats on....

It's no different to the contactless payment tech you carry around in your pocket right now...
    If people can track/monitor you based on this chip in your thumb, they can do so based on the debit card in your pocket just as easily....
    And these people are already carrying around this exact device, it's just embedded in a swipe card.

Having said all that, I still wouldn't take it.
    What happens when someone leaves the company, does it get removed or do they have an inactive chipp in their hand for the rest of their life?
    I'd rather put my hand in my pocket for a card...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,800 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Very true, selective surveillance paranoia. Doomsday and human enslavement fantasies aside, our modern elected politicians aren't really interested in our private lives.. only if we're planning something that might end other people's lives

And companies just want to sell more stuff to our demographic, doesn't get much more "sinister" than that really

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

The thing about a card or phone is that I can leave it at home, the RFID chip comes with me whether I want it to or not.

Then there's the pressure or contractual obligation to have one on you a few years down the line. It's a new can of worms that will manifest it's own way over time. I can see how useful they are, but also the drawbacks that they will have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭conorhal

BizzyC wrote: »

If it was anything more than a small RFID chip you might have a point, but have a look at the scope of the tech before putting the tinfoil hats on....

It's no different to the contactless payment tech you carry around in your pocket right now...
    If people can track/monitor you based on this chip in your thumb, they can do so based on the debit card in your pocket just as easily....
    And these people are already carrying around this exact device, it's just embedded in a swipe card.

What happens when someone leaves the company, does it get removed or do they have an inactive chipp in their hand for the rest of their life?

Nobodys saying that, we're simply questioning the casual normalization of the ammount of information and control that people place in the trust of public and private institutions and we're also considering the scope for abuse, both now and in the future.

Personally I see only one solution!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I wonder how many of the volunteers felt pressured to do it, fear it will look bad if they don't ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

I actually dream of the day I can have my debit / credit cards, passport, drivers licence, boarding passes etc on an internal chip. Imagine not having the stress of worrying have you brought them or misplaced them or had them stolen.

As regards employers using it to monitor employees I am reminded of a previous job I had with a multi-national. Office staff didn't have to clock in whereas production staff did. Our absolute prick of a production manager thought this was yet another (in his view) example of office arrogance. As was usual with the weak management that was in place I was used as a sounding board to gauge the likely office reaction. As someone who had to do a pile of unpaid overtime at certain points of the year my eyes lit up. I said I thought it was a brilliant idea, that everyone sees you walking down the corridor if you are in at 5 past 8 but the only person who sees you leaving at midnight is the security man.

It was never mentioned again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

BizzyC wrote: »

You can get wallets to put RFID cards into, to prevent someone boosting a signal and taking the data off it. Can't do that too well with something implanted into the hand, unless we were all to start wearing gloves.

Another thing to consider is the potential need for the chip to be upgraded due to enhancements or requirements (based on usage) for a higher rating of encryption.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

fizzypish wrote: »
    From a health point of view, if its inserted safely by a professional, there's no issue.
    Tags in animals move, ask a vet.
    RFID implants have been linked to cancer. Nothing to do with RF, everything to do with sticking a foreign object in your body.

Provided its always an option to say "no I don't want this" then there's no issue from me.
    That battle was lost back in 2006

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/02/10/employees_chipped/
    Although CityWatcher does not require its employees to take an implant to keep their jobs, they won't get in the data centre without it. CASPIAN’s Katherine Albrecht says chipping sets an unsettling precedent. "It's wrong to link a person's paycheck with getting an implant,” she says.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

RFID implants have been linked to cancer. Nothing to do with RF, everything to do with sticking a foreign object in your body.

I just read up on the effects of the chips implantation in pets the amount of cancerous cells and growth which seem to grow exactly in teh tissue surrounding teh chip is bit too much of a coincidence

4 US states have already passed laws making it a crime to chip people without consent, due to nursing homes chipping dementia patients without even consulting their families and parents chipping kids.

Hopefully it expands to include making it a crime for business and government agencies making it mandatory and also provision for ones who claim it's optional but try to force you by employing underhand methods to coerce

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

Christ on a bike. 2006? Why didn't it get the same traction at the time? I suppose the net wasn't yet the colossus that it is now. That and the looming war I suppose. Looks like my mentality is sound. **** being an early adopter.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,800 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

fizzypish wrote: »
    Christ on a bike. 2006? Why didn't it get the same traction at the time? I suppose the net wasn't yet the colossus that it is now. That and the looming war I suppose. Looks like my mentality is sound. **** being an early adopter.

It was one small business trying it over 10 years ago. Meh, there isn't that much interest or demand for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Some would say the bible warned us of this.

Revelation 13:16-18King James Version (KJV)

16 And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads:

17 And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.

18 Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six.

People of course will dismiss this as they can't stand God or the Bible but very prophetic. Who can argue microchipping/cash free society is being pushed.

Anyone who wants a microchip or takes one is mentally unstable and deserves to be frankly if they are that stupid. Chips to control everything and monitor everything in your life. What could go wrong eh?!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Get Real

Whatever about the tracking/potential privacy issues (which could be groundless)

I'd have issue with it being unhealthy for my body, I dunno? Excuse my ignorance on how contactless works, but be it magnetic/electronic/certain "waves" if you like, would it be harmful to me having it embedded inside of me. In terms of illness, cancer etc or even the lifespan of the device embedded/how often replacement is needed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Id like the idea of having simple usb key with your passport details just to reduce need to have physical copy on you,for flights and similar just because losing passport is sort of a big deal to get around not unlike any atm card or some buzzer card.

but one has to be truly brain dead to get a dog chip how fcking hard is it to carry rfid card on your neck.

its not revolutionary thing, its simple tag, and whatever some hipsters believe id say to go fck right off if such idea was even flung around.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,276 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Cancer is not ideal

Advertisement