Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American company microchips employees..

Options
  • 16-08-2017 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭

And they're lining up for it voluntarily apparently.
    On Aug. 1, employees at Three Square Market, a technology company in Wisconsin, can choose to have a chip the size of a grain of rice injected between their thumb and index finger. Once that is done, any task involving RFID technology — swiping into the office building, paying for food in the cafeteria — can be accomplished with a wave of the hand.

The program is not mandatory, but as of Monday, more than 50 out of 80 employees at Three Square’s headquarters in River Falls, Wis., had volunteered.

“It was pretty much 100 percent yes right from the get-go for me,” said Sam Bengtson, a software engineer. “In the next five to 10 years, this is going to be something that isn’t scoffed at so much, or is more normal. So I like to jump on the bandwagon with these kind of things early, just to say that I have it.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/25/technology/microchips-wisconsin-company-employees.html?

I have to say that last quote there sounds like a ridiculous reason to volunteer to be microchipped! Are people really that brain dead?

Will this become the norm in the future? Perhaps in the coming decades it might not be much of a choice. Seems a bit sinister to me and the start of a slippery slope. Would employees of AH volunteer for this? Reminds me of that bible quote about everyone needing the mark on their hand or head to buy and sell :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

Woof

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

These people are engineers, they work with technologies like that every day. RFID has a range of around a meter. Do you have a debit cart and use the contactless ports in shops? There you go, this is pretty much all a chip like that can do. Clocking in, clocking out, doing minor payments. Think of it as a card under your skin instead of in your wallet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    And they're lining up for it voluntarily apparently.

We are half way there already. Your phone, email, facebook and twitter etc

Reminds me of that bible quote about everyone needing the mark on their hand or head to buy and sell :eek:

Many scholars think 666 is Hebrew, gematria (coded system of numbers corresponding to letters) for caesar Nero. A way of criticising him without criticising him. You could not pursue a trade in Rome without certificate of sacrifice to Caesar. All documents had to have the imperial seal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

LirW wrote: »
    These people are engineers, they work with technologies like that every day. RFID has a range of around a meter. Do you have a debit cart and use the contactless ports in shops? There you go, this is pretty much all a chip like that can do. Clocking in, clocking out, doing minor payments. Think of it as a card under your skin instead of in your wallet.

No contactless cards here in the US yet surprisingly. Chip and pin is a relatively new thing here too. I'd just be concerned it starts out fairly harmless and then evolves into something else. The article linked does raise these issues, tracking employees toilet breaks etc for example at the least sinister end of the spectrum

• Registered Users Posts: 8,317 ✭✭✭AllForIt

No contactless cards here in the US yet surprisingly. Chip and pin is a relatively new thing here too. I'd just be concerned it starts out fairly harmless and then evolves into something else. The article linked does raise these issues, tracking employees toilet breaks etc for example at the least sinister end of the spectrum

No contactless in the US? Not on smartphones either? Blimey.

Anyway as for the microchips they do not have any kind of gps capability. Your smartphone does of course which ppl carry with them everywhere they go!

As for slippery slope it's hard enough to bring in mandatory ID cards so I'd say micro-chipped ppl is a very long way off unless there transpires some personal advantage to having one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Why? What is the real benefit of this? You wave your hand instead of taking your card out of your wallet and waving your hand? Why an implant?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

People laughed at the New World Order conspiratorial reseachers who warned us of this decades ago.

A microchipped slave race. No privacy, everything monitored, freedom and access determined by your chip type and coding, privledges on chips being turned off etc etc.

Astonishing People want this. So sad.

Why? What is the real benefit of this? You wave your hand instead of taking your card out of your wallet and waving your hand? Why an implant?

It is being used in a work environment where workers need security clearance on computers or whatever. Instead of remembering complex passwords or swiping cards that could become faulty or that could be lost a chip is used instead as ID. So basically it speed things up and is probably more secure.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Wexfordboy89

AllForIt wrote: »

Anyway as for the microchips they do not have any kind of gps capability. Your smartphone does of course which ppl carry with them everywhere they go!

As for slippery slope it's hard enough to bring in mandatory ID cards so I'd say micro-chipped ppl is a very long way off unless there transpires some personal advantage to having one.

Think you have to ask for a chip n pin card friend of mine lives in us had her card stolen.luckly she cancelled it before too much damage was done.she had to go.into.bank.to get new card I told her chip n pin are around for age s here

Think you have to ask for a chip n pin card friend of mine lives in us had her card stolen.luckly she cancelled it before too much damage was done.she had to go.into.bank.to get new card I told her chip n pin are around for age s here

Chip and pin only came out in the past year or so and only for debit cards. not all customers have them yet. For credit cards, even though there's a chip you don't need a pin, a signature is still needed. Our cards have been compromised and reissued three or four times since living here. It's ridiculous really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

Lovely. Here comes a new crime; Lopping off peoples hands .....

Stigura wrote: »
    Lovely. Here comes a new crime; Lopping off peoples hands .....

I'm right handed so I'd have it put in my left just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Wexfordboy89

Chip and pin only came out in the past year or so and only for debit cards. not all customers have them yet. For credit cards, even though there's a chip you don't need a pin, a signature is still needed. Our cards have been compromised and reissued three or four times since living here. It's ridiculous really.

Ya thats what happened to her.her sister lost her card in a shop.as I said lucky she found out n cancelled it he had charged $500 on her card.worst of all the guy used the card in the shop her sister lost it in shop owner didnt ask for signature.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

I'm always staggered when people try to rationalize or defend this kind of creepy ****. Cos yeah, it's just like a swipe card.... in your thumb.

AllForIt wrote: »

A phone can be left behind, switched off or have the GPS disabled if you so wish. A bit different than having an implant inside your body.

Well if it becomes mandatory in certain companies to have one of these in order to have a job and earn money, I'd say that's a personal advantage! It says in the article that only 10 employees have opted not to get the chips. I wonder how long until they begin to feel the pressure to get them seeing as they are in the minority.

A phone can be left behind, switched off or have the GPS disabled if you so wish. A bit different than having an implant inside your body.

Left behind works. Switched off doesn't necessarily according to a certain Mr Snowden. As I said the chip does not have gps capability...yet. Or maybe it secretly does and can be turned on remotely unbeknownst to the employee :eek:
    Well if it becomes mandatory in certain companies to have one of these in order to have a job and earn money, I'd say that's a personal advantage! It says in the article that only 10 employees have opted not to get the chips. I wonder how long until they begin to feel the pressure to get them seeing as they are in the minority.
    Well yes that's a good point. I think the company is a tech company so it's going to be full of geeks that can't wait to try the latest technology so not too surprising most opted for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,938 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I'm always staggered when people try to rationalize or defend this kind of creepy ****. Cos yeah, it's just like a swipe card.... in your thumb.

Camera technology is already better for tracking people than a chip that nearly everyone has in their pets, that can only be read from a few inches, and gait analysis technology will mean that it'll be nearly impossible to avoid being tracked.

So the only thing that this will do is replace the numerous cards that you are currently carrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Del2005 wrote: »
    So the only thing that this will do is replace the numerous cards that you are currently carrying.

It won't replace a thing because I will never be so foolish to allow anyone to insert one into me.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I'm not seeing how this is an improvement over a card in your wallet or a bracelet on your wrist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

What happens if you change your job,do they take it back out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

I'm not seeing how this is an improvement over a card in your wallet or a bracelet on your wrist.

I recently had to cancel my bank card because I (mistakenly) thought I left it behind at a self-service terminal in a shop. When I got home, I discovered I had just put it in a different pocket.

There's a lot to be said for something that can't be mislaid or misplaced.

Mind you, not all of those things are positive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Criminals be chopping off fingers next

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

These people are engineers, they work with technologies like that every day.

Then they should know better. At least don't be the early adopter. Let someone else blaze the trail. RFID is pretty harmless but it could lead to some disturbing precedence's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

No contactless cards here in the US yet surprisingly.

I paid contactless at a self service till in a Target in the Bay area less than two months ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

The march towards the end of one's privacy continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

No contactless cards here in the US yet surprisingly.

I paid contactless at a self service till in a Target in the Bay area less than two months ago?

I used contactless at target in Orlando and Minneapolis two weeks ago as well.

As for the chip, sounds cool, is do it. But then I never found my tin foil hat.

What happens if you change your job,do they take it back out?

It's just a bunch of numbers. You can program any RFID reader to use it. So instead of carrying car keys you just walk up and it'll open and start, a lot safer than the current keyless entry systems.

fizzypish wrote: »
    Then they should know better. At least don't be the early adopter. Let someone else blaze the trail. RFID is pretty harmless but it could lead to some disturbing precedence's.

It's been used for years on animals for the pet passport, I don't hear many owners complaining about their pets being affected.

It's probably one of the safest things that you could put into your body. Yet people will complain about it while using a device which emits thousands of times more RF radiation and consuming a drug, caffeine/alcohol, or poison, chocolate in enough quantities or a cigarette!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

These anti chippers are lunatics get you kids chipped ffs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭RayCon

Solution : Simple ....

maxresdefault.jpg

Advertisement