Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American company microchips employees..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

Del2005 wrote: »
    It's been used for years on animals for the pet passport, I don't hear many owners complaining about their pets being affected.

It's probably one of the safest things that you could put into your body. Yet people will complain about it while using a device which emits thousands of times more RF radiation and consuming a drug, caffeine/alcohol, or poison, chocolate in enough quantities or a cigarette!

From a health point of view, if its inserted safely by a professional, there's no issue. The precedence of making it ok to insert technology is a tad more disturbing. Its just a little RFID chip. Its just a little implant in your tooth to hear your phone silently. Its just a little chip so you can see and type on a virtual screen (Don't think this one is possible yet). Its just a little tracker.
    Provided its always an option to say "no I don't want this" then there's no issue from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

All will be assimilated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Heard about this last week. When you take a step back, it's mad. I wouldn't do it. But that's just me.

Wisconsin Business Becomes First U.S. Company To Microchip Employees:
    https://youtu.be/St2VjkdY3WQ he has all the good points when you look at it properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭GerryDerpy

If any of you anti-implant chip people have Facebook accounts then you are hypocritical or just silly.

• Advertisement

GerryDerpy wrote: »
    If any of you anti-implant chip people have Facebook accounts then you are hypocritical or just silly.

No social media here :)

Edit: sadly it's kinda hard to avoid Google or apple or any of those things, phones.

No social media here :)

Esit: sadly it's kinda hard to avoid Google or apple or any of those things, phones.

I agree, you would have to try too hard to avoid Google or apple.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,800 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

People laughed at the New World Order conspiratorial reseachers who warned us of this decades ago.

A microchipped slave race. No privacy, everything monitored, freedom and access determined by your chip type and coding, privledges on chips being turned off etc etc.

Astonishing People want this. So sad.

News: "A group of engineers volunteer to try out microchip tech"

Conspiracy theorists: "ITS HAPPENING!!!1"

I agree, you would have to try too hard to avoid Google or apple.

I suppose rooting your phone helps? Never been too bothered with that, but maybe I should? And using a VPN too to block your data usage.

I suppose rooting your phone helps? Never been too bothered with that, but maybe I should? And using a VPN too to block your data usage.

No idea. I don't make any effort to conceal myself beyond preventing fraud. Chip me up baby.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

Dohnjoe wrote: »

Key word, volunteering. You're hardly gonna pay someone to put an implant in you are you? And most likely if and when it gets bigger people will pay for it. Just like your phone, or bank account etc. Facebook Instagram twitter etc are all free because people give way too much of their own information too these companies for free. Free information for corporation's really.

No matter about conspiracy theories, it's a fascinating subject!

No idea. I don't make any effort to conceal myself beyond preventing fraud. Chip me up baby.

Haha, lol. True

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

I think it's another step in a certain direction and like all technologies it can be used gainfully or badly abused. I've no worries about a chip like that from a medical point of view, though I'm not too sure how inclined that they are to floating around the body. Our dogs chip that was planted in his neck is now in his hip!

I can see the advantages of them, there's loads of them and it can be a very practical thing to have, but do they outweigh the disadvantages?

There are a number off issues with it that I can see becoming a problem in the future. First of all is the right to refuse, or possibly the option to refuse. I'd like to know how many of the 50 people did it for innovation and how many for some sort of conformity pressure. It's also very easy to introduce this pressure into a company, in that they make it visible without making it obvious that anybody not conforming doesn't get promoted etc.

Then there's the development. When does the RFID chip give way to a tracker and can they track me when I leave the job. And where does it go from there? If I work for Ford, can they see me visiting a Toyota dealer and will they know what I intend buying etc. etc.

So where does my privacy end and where does company control start?

I'll give two personal examples from my own experience: I worked in facilities for a while, a new building where we were installing stuff had swipe cards with RFID chips for all rooms and doors. Reason was to be able to save energy by switching off lights when nobody was using a room. Soon enough, however the warning letters arrived saying people were spending too long in toilets, canteens and smoking areas, and they used the chips to prove this. No idea if anybody was sacked there further down the line, but the warnings were being handed out only about two months after the system went in.

The second example was one where I worked in Germany. Again during installations in the R&D section of a well known multinational. We were fitted with bracelets with GPS trackers as we were not allowed under any circumstances into a couple of areas where they were developing new products. because we were installing alarm systems we could switch any door on and off, so the usual systems didn't apply to us.

I cut the bracelet off every evening, it was a 5 minute job getting a new one the next morning. Some of the lads left theirs on all night. fair enough. Until one of the supervisors was having a laugh with us and mentioned that he knew two of the lads had visited a strip club the night before.

How did he know? GPS trackers on the wrist of the two lads. And he could monitor every move they made inside and outside of the plant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭conorhal

People laughed at the New World Order conspiratorial reseachers who warned us of this decades ago.

A microchipped slave race. No privacy, everything monitored, freedom and access determined by your chip type and coding, privledges on chips being turned off etc etc.

Astonishing People want this. So sad.

Orwell assumed all this would be done by coercion, of course 1984 was an allegory of a collectivist totalitarian regime. Huxley's 'Brave New World' was more on point regards how this might happen in a capitalist consumerist society.
    They won't take your freedom through coercion, you give it up willingly for convenience.

c696be9e67b6ef7537557e204f69a2a9--aldous-huxley-brave-new-world.jpg

aRx14fW.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

OSI wrote: »
    dafuq are you talking about? Contactless has been in the states for years, in Credit/Debit cards, mobile phones and more. Christ you've been able to pay for your coffee with your watch for like 3 years now.

Maybe it depends on where you are? I've honestly never seen anyone use a contactless card. Apple and android pay, yes. Just Google contactless cards in the US and there are loads of articles about how it hasn't caught on yet.

http://plugandplaytechcenter.com/2017/03/13/contactless-payments-united-states/

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

Greybottle wrote: »

I cut the bracelet off every evening, it was a 5 minute job getting a new one the next morning. Some of the lads left theirs on all night. fair enough. Until one of the supervisors was having a laugh with us and mentioned that he knew two of the lads had visited a strip club the night before.

How did he know? GPS trackers on the wrist of the two lads. And he could monitor every move they made inside and outside of the plant.

I would be making a data protection complaint immediately if that happened to me. Bracelet is required for a single purpose and that was obviously abused. Could be a tidy payout/compensation!

The phone I carry in my pocket knows where I am at all times, it knows who I'm talking to, and can also see everything I do. The fitbit on my wrist stores data about all my activities, as well as monitors my general health. Hell, it can even monitor my sleep if I wanted it to. The sites I visit on a daily basis track everything I do in that site and, often, on other ones too.

If I can pay for things without going to the bother of reaching into my pocket, then I'm all for it. Also one step closer to Mass Effect levels of technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

Not fully sure of the link here? From the point of view of your data being up for grabs and you intentionally put it there, I see your point. But I have the option of not using social media and thats the end of the data that can be gotten from me. An implant is a bit more difficult to stop the data flow (RFID is a bit simple to be worried about meaningful data being gathered). Also, is having to punch in my pin when paying for something or carrying money that much of an inconvenience?
    At the end of the day its a good thing its happening but I don't want to be the early adopted. In 40 years time, if I have the option of my sight tending towards blindness or getting chipped and "maybe" having data taken, I'll take the chip.

• Advertisement

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Yeah, there is no way around that tbh. It's the world we live in. Even if you avoid all the other stuff, the only way to be completely off the 'grid' as they say, is to just have a burner phone, or no phone at all. No internet at all ever and get paid into the hand instead of bank account for work, which is pretty difficult to avoid now if you want money to live.

Edit: still, I wouldn't get a chip put in under my skin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I love how the engineer in the quote thinks 62% is 'pretty much 100%".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Dohnjoe wrote: »

Softly softly kill monkey. They have their foot in the door. How long before every company wants to do this?.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

There are a number off issues with it that I can see becoming a problem in the future. First of all is the right to refuse, or possibly the option to refuse. I'd like to know how many of the 50 people did it for innovation and how many for some sort of conformity pressure. It's also very easy to introduce this pressure into a company, in that they make it visible without making it obvious that anybody not conforming doesn't get promoted etc.

Then there's the development. When does the RFID chip give way to a tracker and can they track me when I leave the job. And where does it go from there? If I work for Ford, can they see me visiting a Toyota dealer and will they know what I intend buying etc. etc.

So where does my privacy end and where does company control start?

I'll give two personal examples from my own experience: I worked in facilities for a while, a new building where we were installing stuff had swipe cards with RFID chips for all rooms and doors. Reason was to be able to save energy by switching off lights when nobody was using a room. Soon enough, however the warning letters arrived saying people were spending too long in toilets, canteens and smoking areas, and they used the chips to prove this. No idea if anybody was sacked there further down the line, but the warnings were being handed out only about two months after the system went in.

The second example was one where I worked in Germany. Again during installations in the R&D section of a well known multinational. We were fitted with bracelets with GPS trackers as we were not allowed under any circumstances into a couple of areas where they were developing new products. because we were installing alarm systems we could switch any door on and off, so the usual systems didn't apply to us.

That's the thing, as your examples show, there is zero chance that it will remain as just an rfid chip for access to buildings etc and zero chance that companies won't abuse the technology. I find it bizarre that people don't see a problem with allowing a corporation to implant a chip in them, and are even scoffing at people who have doubts

• Registered Users Posts: 18,936 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I

So the first occasion was tracking your travel via RFID chips securing door access which can be done by PIN access or the boss looking out for slackers by walking around, which good bosses will do even if the technology is the human eye ball mark 1. And the 2nd was that you were amazed to discover that a GPS tracker tracks your movements!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,936 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I have an Android phone and have all settings left on. I'm actually amazed at how Google makes money as I get notifications that it'll take me x hours to work as soon as I walk in my door from work and the only advertisements I see are for stuff I've already bought. Even Amazon send me ads for similar items to what I have just bought

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Revelation 13:16-18 King James Version (KJV) public domain:

16 And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads:

17 And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.

18 Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Harambe

My RFID for work is in my wallet we use it for everything and to be honest it can be a pain in the ass digging it out of the wallet all the time. I'd have no issue getting this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

conorhal wrote: »
    Orwell assumed all this would be done by coercion, of course 1984 was an allegory of a collectivist totalitarian regime. Huxley's 'Brave New World' was more on point regards how this might happen in a capitalist consumerist society.
    They won't take your freedom through coercion, you give it up willingly for convenience.

-potus2020--.png

16/1 is a short price indeed, for a potential potus2020 winner.

-potus2020.png

Revelation 13:17 so that they could not buy or sell unless they had the mark, which is the name of the beast, or the number of its name.
    -potus2020--.png

There's a movie script in the somewhere for Dan Brown to work on...

• Advertisement

Advertisement