Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contactless Payments at Mass

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭chinwag

My local church posts out a booklet with the names of EVERYONE from the parish who has donated during the year and the exact amount they donated through the little envelopes or cheques.

It's pretty disgusting. Some people are struggling with money but then you see people donating 4 or 5k a year but thanks to the church everyone knows who doesn't donate enough and names and shames them in the yearly booklet
    That's almost incredible, I thought that practice ceased decades ago.
    Really, that should be stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,218 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I don't believe any Church still publishes donation amounts in this day and age.

@discobeaker, care to name your local church?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

They also named from the pulpit people who had a reputation, mostly bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

My local church posts out a booklet with the names of EVERYONE from the parish who has donated during the year and the exact amount they donated through the little envelopes or cheques.

It's pretty disgusting. Some people are struggling with money but then you see people donating 4 or 5k a year but thanks to the church everyone knows who doesn't donate enough and names and shames them in the yearly booklet

That would be enough for me to get de-baptised and say so long to the whole feckin lot of them. Not that I attend church anyway, its just that I am still technically a catholic.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,218 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I know it happened years back, but I refuse to believe it is still happening today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

NIMAN wrote: »
    I don't believe any Church still publishes donation amounts in this day and age.

@discobeaker, care to name your local church?

COI in Monaghan town

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Isn't that for tax purposes though. If you donate more than a certain amount you can claim it as a charitable donation in your tax return. Whereas if you throw coins in a basket you don't get a "receipt"

Not at all. It was a shaming exercise in the 1950s-1970s especially in rural areas. Tax reasons ???

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

ravima wrote: »
    There is no 'payment' for either attending or requesting a Mass.

If you are in congregation, there is a collection usually for the running costs of the parish. Believe it or not, but is costs money to provide heat, light, insurance, cleaning, priests living expenses and the other expenses such as candles, altar wine, communion hosts etc. Oft times there might be a second collection for renovation/maintenance of the church as well. All the collections are voluntary.

Dont worry, wont have to cough up for long. Priests are dying out far faster than Maynooth can replace them and even allowing women into the RCC won't solve it. Adios!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,392 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Another thread bashing Catholics I see.

But mention anything about muslims we have lefties telling us "not to bash an entire religion" because that's racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Is there any accomadation for those of us who use Paypal or cryptocurrencies?

• Advertisement
Advertisement