Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contactless Payments at Mass

Options
  • 15-08-2017 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭

Can't find anything online, but apparently the Catholic Church will now be accepting contactless payment at mass on Sunday.

Goodbye to those days of tapping the pockets saying you have no change.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

The can get f.ucked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Yeah, dream on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Sure tap your club card off it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

"ahhh forgot me card mate"

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

There is no 'payment' for either attending or requesting a Mass.

If you are in congregation, there is a collection usually for the running costs of the parish. Believe it or not, but is costs money to provide heat, light, insurance, cleaning, priests living expenses and the other expenses such as candles, altar wine, communion hosts etc. Oft times there might be a second collection for renovation/maintenance of the church as well. All the collections are voluntary.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

ravima wrote: »
    Oft times there might be a second collection for renovation/maintenance of the church as well.

Usually a new church roof. What do they make those things out of? Plasticine?

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭nkav86

The can get f.ucked

Don't tempt them with that again!

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭nkav86

ravima wrote:
    Believe it or not, but is costs money to provide heat, light, insurance, cleaning, priests living expenses and the other expenses such as candles, altar wine, communion hosts etc. Oft times there might be a second collection for renovation/maintenance of the church as well. All the collections are voluntary.

Believe it or not but the guys in the Vatican are sh1ting money, can they not have a whip around

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

If you are in congregation, there is a collection usually for the running costs of the parish. Believe it or not, but is costs money to provide heat, light, insurance, cleaning, priests living expenses and the other expenses such as candles, altar wine, communion hosts etc. Oft times there might be a second collection for renovation/maintenance of the church as well. All the collections are voluntary.

I am not buying it sir.

Anecdotal evidence, yes, but we have a young lad in the office, he is not on much and all he can afford to give the church is 300 quid for the wedding and they complained.

You often get asked for 150 for a funeral or anniversary mass.

Our church back home published a list of houses that had not returned their offerings as a reminder, but really a roundabout way of creating a bold boys list and peer pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

So long as they still accept I.O.U.s in the basket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

They can swipe the cards between the cheeks of ones arsehole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lifeandtimes

The amount of property the church have they could sell 30% of it and set them up for at least 50 years easily

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

There finally putting some of that Holy Ghost tech to use.

The amount of property the church have they could sell 30% of it and set them up for at least 50 years easily

That doesn't negate the fact that the collection at mass is purely voluntary.

myshirt wrote: »
    but apparently the Catholic Church will now be accepting contactless payment at mass on Sunday.

Well, I suppose it must be a blessing in disguise that it's 'contactless' - if only they had thought of such things in industrial schools in the 1950s.

To put it ever so mildly, I can think of more worthy causes...

Ageing orders have land and property worth billions of euro

Church’s asset portfolio included 10,700 properties

etc etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 14,120 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

tap, tap, DOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMM!!!!!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I am not buying it sir.

Anecdotal evidence, yes, but we have a young lad in the office, he is not on much and all he can afford to give the church is 300 quid for the wedding and they complained.....

You often get asked for 150 for a funeral or anniversary mass.

Is he a parishioner? If he were to hire somewhere of similar size, I doubt he'd get it any cheaper- and no-one is forcing him to use that church in any case.

As to €150 for either anniversary mass or funeral, not true either. I have recent experience of both in a few different parishes. There is no charge for either. but people often give an offering.

That doesn't negate the fact that the collection at mass is purely voluntary.

As Lionel Hutz would say, there is voluntary and 'voluntary'.

Can be a big peer pressure element to it when the basket goes around, especially when it goes around twice.

Presumably when they go contactless the minimum donation will be a tenner, which I am ok with as I have a family there, but perhaps others may not be and that's the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Which collection tray is for the rape cases down the years?

Is he a parishioner? If he were to hire somewhere of similar size, I doubt he'd get it any cheaper- and no-one is forcing him to use that church in any case.

As to €150 for either anniversary mass or funeral, not true either. I have recent experience of both in a few different parishes. There is no charge for either. but people often give an offering.

Well maybe they just think I have money. Now look, I have never been strong-armed into paying or anything, but I have been asked and seen it being asked often. This is Limerick.

• Advertisement

As Lionel Hutz would say, there is voluntary and 'voluntary'.

Can be a big peer pressure element to it when the basket goes around, especially when it goes around twice.

Presumably when they go contactless the minimum donation will be a tenner, which I am ok with as I have a family there, but perhaps others may not be and that's the point.

That's pure BS. I'm a collector and there is definitely no peer pressure. Many people don't put anything in the basket, no problem, no hassle, no big deal. As for a second collection, we'd have perhaps only 3 a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I still can't comprehend why the world's richest organisation begs for change from vulnerable people it claims it is there to help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

did you hear the one about the Cavan man who was watching mass on RTE one Sunday morning?

When the collection came round he changed the channel

*I know that joke is as old as tea*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

I've looked on line and all I can find is that the Church of England are introducing it.

https://www.ft.com/content/2e803942-5817-11e7-9fed-c19e2700005f

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Makey-uppy thread...

Tuesday night boredom, OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

That's pure BS. I'm a collector and there is definitely no peer pressure. Many people don't put anything in the basket, no problem, no hassle, no big deal. As for a second collection, we'd have perhaps only 3 a year.

Of course there is peer pressure. Everyone worries about looking bad by not putting anything in. And if you don't put money in the plate there will be the oul wans who tell the whole parish about how tight you are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Can't find anything online, but apparently the Catholic Church will now be accepting contactless payment at mass on Sunday.

I was in NY last December and as part of the trip we went on a Harlem Gospel Tour (as an aside I cannot recommend this highly enough, if I ever go back I will do it again, it was amazing) and part of the tour involves sitting in on a religious ceremony.

It was all singing, all dancing, pure, unadulterated joy and happiness from the get go, exactly like I'd seem in the movies, then came the collection time.

Basically a row of tables were set up at the very front of the church with baskets and the parishioners went up rank and file to make their contributions.

Before this kicked off the pastor announced that that of folk didn't have cash on them they were happy to accept all major credit cards and that they had the little CC machines for people to use.

We couldn't believe what we were seeing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Revelation 13:

And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads:
    And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.

Welcome to RFID 'Tap n' burn' payment system ;)

• Advertisement

GarIT wrote: »
    Of course there is peer pressure. Everyone worries about looking bad by not putting anything in. And if you don't put money in the plate there will be the oul wans who tell the whole parish about how tight you are.

Not in real life. But, keep the fallacy going.

Advertisement