Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contactless Payments at Mass

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Makey-uppy thread...

Tuesday night boredom, OP?

How is it a makeyuppy thread? I discussed this with a neighbour. Someone on this thread was able to find a story about the Church of England. Cool the heels, I didn't pull this from my arse.

Not in real life. But, keep the fallacy going.
    in fairness, just because you collect the money, doesn't mean you can speak for people who may feel pressured to pay, and embarrassed if they can't afford it. You dont know how everyone feels, and I can well believe many would be embarrassed to be seen not contributing.

I know this can be an issue in very small congregations. My local CoI church would have no more than 40 people attending on a Sunday, and you'd have to be deliberately staring at the ceiling to avoid seeing what people put in.

It's such a small congregation that some people put in 20 euro, and others - e.g. widows - might only be able to afford a few euro. The worst thing is, the collection plate is silver, so if you do put in coins, you get that inglorious clinking!

The pressure is real man! I seen it!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

GarIT wrote: »
    Of course there is peer pressure. Everyone worries about looking bad by not putting anything in. And if you don't put money in the plate there will be the oul wans who tell the whole parish about how tight you are.
    You may need to work on your self-esteem. I certainly don't care what people think I put in any form of collection boxes, be they the bag packing buckets at supermarket check out, Daffodil Day collection or church ones. In any case, with the envelope system in many churches, people not of that parish don't usually contribute and those who are in the parish use the envelopes, so the "auld ones" you fear so much haven't a clue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I used to think the second collection at mass was for Cher.

There's a joke for the Catholics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lifeandtimes

Im just so surprised so many people still go to mass. Anyone under 30 still going?

The collection plate is a shake down and I fail to see how a multibillion euro cult don't have money to pay for all theirs need when they have thousand and thousands of hecters of land and their leader is drinking out of gold chalice' s everyday.

The leader is good,the leader is great, we surrender our will as of this date

Nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah batman....i mean leaderrrrrrrrrr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,374 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I find most people just put in coins.
    Some people have the envelopes. I think think they've something to do with claiming back through tax!

Im just so surprised so many people still go to mass. Anyone under 30 still going?

I was about to answer this and then I remembered that I turned 30 over five years ago. But yeah, I still go the very odd time. Anniversaries and sometimes Christmas or Easter. I find it weirdly comforting and nostalgic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

The amount of times I held up the procession because I didn't know which way it was coming. Absolutely morto so I stopped going. That and the hand shaking, making a holy eejit of myself trying to shake Tom's hand only for him to go for Sam's and then the person on the other side with their hand already engaged so I'm just left there like a wet floppy fish. That all in a 10 minute time frame, couldn't be handling that... plus all those dirty hands after touching the germ riddled change anyway... No thank you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lifeandtimes

RayM wrote: »
    I was about to answer this and then I remembered that I turned 30 over five years ago. But yeah, I still go the very odd time. Anniversaries and sometimes Christmas or Easter. I find it weirdly comforting and nostalgic.

Swisssshhhh, nothing but net!

The amount of times I held up the procession because I didn't know which way it was coming. Absolutely morto so I stopped going. That and the hand shaking, like you just touched your filthy change and then other people's dirty hands, get up our of tyat

Not to mention touching the holy water in the font that every bastard and his mother has been dipping their scabby hands into.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

RayM wrote: »
    Not to mention touching the holy water in the font that every bastard and his mother has been dipping their scabby hands into.

Like what the peanut dish was to a bar. Communal and disease ridden!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Are they back selling indulgences yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

As much as I knock the church, back in the 80/90s collected money was used e.g. for housing for poor sods who spent 5+ years building houses and had them destroyed in storms, etc. The book on collections and expenditure was publicly available for anyone to view.
    Its one of the only things I can think that's good from the church here.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,343 ✭✭✭✭Victor

myshirt wrote: »
    Our church back home published a list of houses that had not returned their offerings as a reminder, but really a roundabout way of creating a bold boys list and peer pressure.
    Potentially defamatory, but definite data protection issues.
    GarIT wrote: »
    Of course there is peer pressure. Everyone worries about looking bad by not putting anything in. And if you don't put money in the plate there will be the oul wans who tell the whole parish about how tight you are.
    Doesn't make sense when some churches do direct debits, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

Can I donate by singing a hymn?
    Amos the leper is a personal fave.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,215 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Ah would yiz ever get some hobbies for yourself.

The Op decides that the Catholic Church is facilitating the use of modern technology as a new additional method of making voluntary payment to already existing and established collections.

Turns out it's not even the Catholic Church but sure there's the usual eejits on here giving out.

If Hindus start accepting donations in gold or Scientologists start accepting bitcoin, to be honest, less of a fuck could I, or any sane person, not give.

Some people giving out that some fella had to contribute to use the church for his wedding. Why do some people feel so entitled to having everything given to them for free? Is it a hangover from dole and welfare state mentality? You'll probably find that the loudest complainers are also the loudest "sneerers" who probably don't have anything to do with the church anyway.

I have nothing to do with the local soccer club. I'm not going to expect them to give me the use of their hall for free. Even though I'm sure that FIFA are a wealthy organisation with a lot of money and property. And I'm sure there are cases of soccer coaches who molested kids somewhere on the globe over the last 100 years. And still the bastards won't give me the hall for free........ I mean should I not be entitled to it because Pedro and the rest of his under 12's mexico city soccer team got bummed by Jose the local paedo coach back in the '70s?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

My local church posts out a booklet with the names of EVERYONE from the parish who has donated during the year and the exact amount they donated through the little envelopes or cheques.

It's pretty disgusting. Some people are struggling with money but then you see people donating 4 or 5k a year but thanks to the church everyone knows who doesn't donate enough and names and shames them in the yearly booklet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

I've heard tell that the Rev. Ian Paisley was famous for his " silent collections".

Who needs coins dropping onto plates and disturbing the peace of the congregation?

Politics/religion/philosophy...people contribute to what they think/believe is in their own interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,215 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Lucy8080 wrote: »
    I've heard tell that the Rev. Ian Paisley was famous for his " silent collections".

Who needs coins dropping onto plates and disturbing the peace of the congregation?

Politics/religion/philosophy...people contribute to what they think/believe is in their own interests.

If the Catholic Church did not publish their figures sure people would be complaining too. - "Wait they're taking money off all the people and nobody knows how much".

That's nice that Mr Paisley decided not to publish how much money he was raking in to his own church....kind of like those US TV evangelicals with their "private churches".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

Revelation 13:

And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads:
    And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.

Welcome to RFID 'Tap n' burn' payment system ;)

This should be posted in the thread about being left handed.

Give 'em lift!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,343 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I'll never forget when my parish published everyone's envelope contributions around 20 years ago. We always went to mass in my mother's parish, except for once or twice, and it was obviously a low number where we lived.

Parents were raging.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Ah would yiz ever get some hobbies for yourself.

The Op decides that the Catholic Church is facilitating the use of modern technology as a new additional method of making voluntary payment to already existing and established collections.

Turns out it's not even the Catholic Church but sure there's the usual eejits on here giving out.

If Hindus start accepting donations in gold or Scientologists start accepting bitcoin, to be honest, less of a fuck could I, or any sane person, not give.

Some people giving out that some fella had to contribute to use the church for his wedding. Why do some people feel so entitled to having everything given to them for free? Is it a hangover from dole and welfare state mentality? You'll probably find that the loudest complainers are also the loudest "sneerers" who probably don't have anything to do with the church anyway.

I have nothing to do with the local soccer club. I'm not going to expect them to give me the use of their hall for free. Even though I'm sure that FIFA are a wealthy organisation with a lot of money and property. And I'm sure there are cases of soccer coaches who molested kids somewhere on the globe over the last 100 years. And still the bastards won't give me the hall for free........ I mean should I not be entitled to it because Pedro and the rest of his under 12's mexico city soccer team got bummed by Jose the local paedo coach back in the '70s?

BUT WE NEED TO MOAN ABOUT SOMETHING

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Every December/January I get a little box of envelopes delivered from the local church. Think the idea is you use one of these each week for your contribution at the church collection.

Mind you they are addressed to the previous occupant who moved out almost 3 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

Which collection tray is for the rape cases down the years?

Or for the all the young women they systematically tortured but physically & mentally. Or for the babies they sold to Americans......to people that didn't even meet the criteria in their own country.

They should paying people to go to mass, not the other way around. Most disgusting organisation on the planet. Thankfully the numbers going are dropping every year & their baskets are getting lighter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

My local church posts out a booklet with the names of EVERYONE from the parish who has donated during the year and the exact amount they donated through the little envelopes or cheques.

It's pretty disgusting. Some people are struggling with money but then you see people donating 4 or 5k a year but thanks to the church everyone knows who doesn't donate enough and names and shames them in the yearly booklet

Wow that's amazing in this day and age. Sick really.

They used to proclaim donations and non-donations from the pulpit in 50s/60s/70s in some churches to embarrass and shame people.

It's a warped organisation really.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Bma9D5JCYAAVLC_.jpg

We can spare it Marge! We've been blesssed!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I find that rather hard to believe, might work in a church with a big congregation but a small country church, forget it.

I used fire in foreign coins into the basket years ago when I actually used to bother; the Thai baht coin didn't look far off a €2. Hey, it's all currency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Wouldn't mind so much if the local one didn't drive round in a fancy Merc, a new-ish fancy one with the swept back boot, guessing around 50k+ worth of motor. What's wrong with an old 10k Mondeo/Toyota?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Wow that's amazing in this day and age. Sick really.

They used to proclaim donations and non-donations from the pulpit in 50s/60s/70s in some churches to embarrass and shame people.

It's a warped organisation really.

Isn't that for tax purposes though. If you donate more than a certain amount you can claim it as a charitable donation in your tax return. Whereas if you throw coins in a basket you don't get a "receipt"

Advertisement