Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most overrated band ever - The Stone Roses

Options

Comments

The concepts of overrated or underrated are overrated

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

no band has ever had an album as perfect as the Stone Roses.

[...]

the album Stone Roses is a masterpiece, the pinnacle of contemporary music, will never be surpassed in perfection and brilliance imo.

“The pinnacle of contemporary music”?

Let’s all take a deep breath before we get carried away and say things we can’t take back.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭gigantic09

Talking heads. I know many music critics praise the musical genius of David Byrne but I never thought much of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭dasdog

gigantic09 wrote: »
    Talking heads. I know many music critics praise the musical genius of David Byrne but I never thought much of them.

QlicIhN.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Tina Weymouth? Yes please…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

I liked the Stone Roses but I also quite liked Mark E Smith's attack on Madchester.
    Freddie and the Dreamers, come on up
    Hey you imitators, come on up
    Hey little singer, come on up
    Show us your house and show us your cock
    The working class has been shafted
    So what the **** you sneering at?
    Your prerogative in life it seems
    Is living out an ad man's dream

- Idiot Joy Showland

I would have to admit at this point, I do think of the Roses as somewhat overrated, and I speak as someone that was obsessed with them in 1995-97 .

That Barclays ad was painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭trashcan

I can only think of 3 songs by them, the American Pie one, that up sit down nonsense, and one called "She's a star" which had a black and white video and seemed to always be on MTV in the mid 90s when MTV played music videos, the woman in that video was a stunner.

That’s two more than me :D.

I wasn’t aware James were rated highly enough to be over rated.

As for the people who nominated The Beatles, shut up !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭trashcan

I was a big fan of them for a while, but even so... can't escape the feeling that R.E.M. were waaaay bigger than they should have been given their limited musical range.

Ah no. For their first 5 albums they were just about the best band on the planet. Ok, they went on a steady decline after that ( still punctuated by some good moments though).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Oink wrote: »
    “The pinnacle of contemporary music”?

Let’s all take a deep breath before we get carried away and say things we can’t take back.

I'd like to think I listened to most of the generally considered best albums by the best bands and many more, but the one I always come back to is the Stone Roses.

Don't know any band that has b-sides to an album that would be regarded as the best songs on any other album. The album is outstanding from start to finish, then the special edition with b-sides strengthen it if anything, not weaken it

• Advertisement

I liked them when they were goths, bring back Pete garner

Biffy Clyro yay or nay?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Joy Division.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭veryangryman

I'd like to think I listened to most of the generally considered best albums by the best bands and many more, but the one I always come back to is the Stone Roses.

Don't know any band that has b-sides to an album that would be regarded as the best songs on any other album. The album is outstanding from start to finish, then the special edition with b-sides strengthen it if anything, not weaken it

Problem with most k warriors who say a band is over rated here is that they don't know what a b side is

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭dasdog

• Registered Users Posts: 47 WhymeWhynot

I've heard people gushing over Laura Marling and she has been heavily lauded by the music press but to me it's dull, boring I'm a sensitive woman in a wolly jumper with an acoustic guitar music. I find Lisa Hannigan overrated for much the same reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,248 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I can only think of 3 songs by them, the American Pie one, that up sit down nonsense, and one called "She's a star" which had a black and white video and seemed to always be on MTV in the mid 90s when MTV played music videos, the woman in that video was a stunner.

I'm no fan of James, but Laid is an absolutely brilliant song

• Registered Users Posts: 10,693 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Has to be The Smiths. A decent guitarist, but the "singer" (like in the Roses) couldn't carry a note in a bucket.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

Nirvana. There were at least five or six grunge bands that were better from that era that don't get half the recognition.

blueser wrote: »
    Has to be The Smiths. A decent guitarist, but the "singer" (like in the Roses) couldn't carry a note in a bucket.

And now we’re on to mozzer couldn’t sing :rolleyes:

I take great pride in the smirths, undisputed kings of that whole snooty indie scene with good Irish stock in Maher O’rorke and Morrissey; himself whose ould lad is from around the corner. One of thee purported finest warblers, at that so tell us how could he not sing?

Nirvana. There were at least five or six grunge bands that were better from that era that don't get half the recognition.

No there wasn't.
    Nirvana
    Then...
    Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains.
    Mudhoney, Screaming Trees, L7, Hole

None were better, most got more than half the recognition

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,832 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

blueser wrote: »

You may not like The Smiths but that's just being stupid, now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

I've heard people gushing over Laura Marling and she has been heavily lauded by the music press but to me it's dull, boring I'm a sensitive woman in a wolly jumper with an acoustic guitar music. I find Lisa Hannigan overrated for much the same reason.

Again, hardly over hyped.

Most people have no clue who Laura Marling is.

It sounds like you're just identifying types of music that doesn't interest you.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,832 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

limnam wrote: »
    Again, hardly over hyped.

Most people have no clue who Laura Marling is.

It sounds like you're just identifying types of music that doesn't interest you.

Yup, never heard of her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Cienciano wrote: »

Laid is a classic album. Gold Mother and Wah Wah not far behind. Top band, still knocking out great tunes.

Eh, the pixies original stuff easily. Hands down

Agree; they make a fantastic album in its own right (Turns Into Stone) or as the second disc on the 20th anniversary 2009 edition which also has Guernica & Full Fathom Five 12" mix (the CD single version is different). I love the artwork on all the singles. The outro on Standing Here is out of this world.

Although in terms of great B-sides, there's Suede, Oasis, The Smiths, The Cure.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,646 ✭✭✭storker

gigantic09 wrote: »

I didn't either until I saw Stop Making Sense.

I still listen to the tracks from that movie in preference to the original studio version. Dumping the minimalism made the music much more funky.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

tdf7187 wrote: »
    I liked the Stone Roses but I also quite liked Mark E Smith's attack on Madchester.

Don’t listen to The Fall but I’m inclined to agree. The whole Britpop scene (bar maybe Supergrass) is so sneering and condescending I can’t understand how it garners such affection. There are some okay tunes in there but by and large a lot of the hits from those days are quite bland.
    trashcan wrote: »
    Ah no. For their first 5 albums they were just about the best band on the planet. Ok, they went on a steady decline after that ( still punctuated by some good moments though).

This has become increasingly popular to say but I honestly think they’re one of those rare bands where their creativity and commercial popularity peeked in sync. The strength and consistency of the songwriting and instrumentation on Out of Time and Automatic are really something else. From Monster on it became more of a grab bag of good and bad. That said those first five albums are not so overplayed which makes them easier to savour and songs like Sitting Still and Kohoutek have this ethereal and nostalgic quality to them that’s hard to beat.

If you like her have a listen to Kate Bush's Hounds of Love including the b-sides. Non album tracks like Under The Ivy and Burning Bridge are as good as, if not better, than the a-sides.

After the triple whammy of Murmur, Reckoning & Fables, I think REM dropped the ball a little on Life's Rich Pageant and Document. They did get back on course with Green and kept the quality going until Up which I'd rank as their fourth best album (after Fables, Automatic, Murmur).

Dead Letter Office is a still a fun listen. Disappointing, the recent reissue campaign of the Warners era has favoured demos and live sets over B-sides.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,936 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Cienciano wrote: »

I’ve struggled to get into their albums as bodies of work but they have some excellent songs..spread out across their catalogue.

Advertisement