Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most overrated band ever - The Stone Roses

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭dasdog

Icaras wrote: »
    If you're unimpressed with sticky fingers and exile on main st then the stones just aren't for you.

Agree with the Coldplay comment.

To have been around just outside Nice in the basement of a chateaux doing all sorts of everything when they recorded that.

Thanks for reminding me The Thrills happened urgh

Cause the thrills are not that faaaaarrrr.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Cause the thrills are not that faaaaarrrr.

What even was their deal? A bunch of blokes from Dublin via California in the early 70s.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,395 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

dasdog wrote: »
    To have been around just outside Nice in the basement of a chateaux doing all sorts of everything when they recorded that.

Wasn’t it previously the regional SS HQ during the war

What stories that chateaux could tell

• Registered Users Posts: 15,395 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

What even was their deal? A bunch of blokes from Dublin via California in the early 70s.

Yeah that seemed to be the general idea

D4, California

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭dasdog

Wasn’t it previously the regional SS HQ during the war

What stories that chateaux could tell

Perfect surroundings and conditions for writing and human expression. The ironic history I'm sure added but not as much as the heroin they were doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Thanks for reminding me The Thrills happened urgh

Funnily enough they were the first band that popped into my head when I was thinking about over-rated and over-hyped bands.

Championed by the likes of Bono and Tom Dunne, their debut album, which was a pile of sh;te, was actually nominated for the Mercury Music prize.

I had the misfortune to see them in a tent at some festival in the early-noughties and they were fcuking awful, a worse lot of tuneless and talentless wasters would be impossible to find. And the tent was packed with a crowd of clappy-seals baying their approval at the drivel they were listening too. It was infuriating to watch.

Eventually everyone else agreed with me that they were ****e and they thankfully faded into obscurity. I was glad to be on the right side of history.

In summary, The Thrills - bag of sh;te.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I fcuking hate the Thrills, purely cos that summer of 2003 everyone went on a J1 except me, as I was too poor.

Stone Roses made some fine music but Brown couldn't sing worth a lick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭PGE1970

To certain extent, your age will influence your musical taste.

My mum loved The Beatles so that's what I grew up with. In my teens, ny bands were The Smiths, Stone Roses, Lloyd Cole, Prefab Sprout, Jesus & Mary Chain, Pogues, Echo and The Bunnymen etc.

Into my 20s, Oasis, Pulp, Radiohead etc.

My best gigs? Pogues in 1989 and the Roses in Phoenix Park a few years ago (I can now die a happy man!).

For the weakness in Ian Brown's voice, he is a terrific front man. Squire and Reni are fantastic guitarists and Reni, imo, is as good a drummer as you will find anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Yep. That run of albums from beggars banquet to goats head soup is pretty darn good

Some Girls (1978) is my favourite. Then Exile....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,871 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Overrated band?

Oasis by a country mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

cj maxx wrote: »
    BS. Britpop was brilliant at the time , and some songs have aged really well. Others not so much.

This is a brilliant look at Britpop from another angle - just came out earlier this month. https://www.discogs.com/Various-Caught-Beneath-The-Landslide-The-Other-Side-Of-Britpop-And-The-90s/release/19013086

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Erik Shin wrote: »
    James were arguably the most hyped and overrated band of the last 30 years

James were hyped?

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

Dirty Work is top 10 Rolling Stones song

limnam wrote: »
    James were hyped?

I can only think of 3 songs by them, the American Pie one, that up sit down nonsense, and one called "She's a star" which had a black and white video and seemed to always be on MTV in the mid 90s when MTV played music videos, the woman in that video was a stunner.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,934 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

dasdog wrote: »

It was recorded in the gorgeous Villfranche Sur Mer just outside Nice....Villa Nellcote... I’ve been there but you can see SFA of it from the road, too many tourists. There is a black barrier even on the gates now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

I can only think of 3 songs by them, the American Pie one, that up sit down nonsense, and one called "She's a star" which had a black and white video and seemed to always be on MTV in the mid 90s when MTV played music videos, the woman in that video was a stunner.

I'd say that's two songs more than most people :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Does anyone's music interest ever evolve? There is a peculiar trend in my group where my mates, all in their 20's, love dad rock and deem this to be 'real music'. Let the 70's go.

Does anyone's music interest ever evolve? There is a peculiar trend in my group where my mates, all in their 20's, love dad rock and deem this to be 'real music'. Let the 70's go.

The music I mostly listen to now would be indie electronic kind of stuff that algorithms suggest to me on my streaming music service. I still love old music though. Do guitar bands even exist any more?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭rolling boh

As i got older i actually broadened my listening so now i listen to lots of different music from the sixties to the eighties mainly .I suppose when i was younger i kind of went with the flow so kept quite when some music was on that was not cool .Though i think this thread is really just people giving their own favs hard to say for sure a band is overrated or not .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

This thread prompted me to throw on the Stone Roses self-titled on a stroll with the madra today.

Whoever thinks they're overrated is chatting sh*te hey. Seminal album and not a duff track on the album. Came out in '89 while British rock and pop was still suffering from a big hair and shoulder pads hangover - still sounds fresh. 11/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Stone Roses made some fine music but Brown couldn't sing worth a lick.

Reni could though and the combination of both worked really well

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Who cares for singing, that’s for girls long as you can mosh to it

One of the things I enjoy doing when I'm in the States is playing music to people that is popular in Ireland (but isn't/hasn't been popular over there) to see what the locals make of it. Without fail, and more than any other band, The Stone Roses hits them right away... songs like Fool's Gold and I Wanna Be Adored stand the test of time and geography. By those measures, no not overrated. It is a mystery why they never made it big in the US though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

One of the things I enjoy doing when I'm in the States is playing music to people that is popular in Ireland (but isn't/hasn't been popular over there) to see what the locals make of it. Without fail, and more than any other band, The Stone Roses hits them right away... songs like Fool's Gold and I Wanna Be Adored stand the test of time and geography. By those measures, no not overrated. It is a mystery why they never made it big in the US though.

Fools Gold is just an awesome vibey song. I love being in places where songs like this aren't known and playing them because it makes them sound so much better for some reason. Oasis sound so much better when you listen to them outside of Ireland(the British isles) Everyone in Europe knows Wonderwall but when you put on Champagne Supernova or something the songs just vibe so well. I hardly listen to Oasis when in Ireland but whenEVER I've lived in mainland Europe, they remind me of home.

Fools Gold is just an awesome vibey song. I love being in places where songs like this aren't known

It's a great feeling sharing good music with people. knowing they are hearing for the first time.. plus you get the verdict of fresh ears with no prejudice.

Has to be Led Zeppelin. Boring dad rock, ripped off older blues artists, Plant has a terrible voice, they made disparaging about Black Sabbath, a band who were far better musicians and more inventive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Whatever about being over-rated, I think that some of Ian Brown's solo material is very under-rated.

Stellify, FEAR, Golden Gaze, For the Glory, Keep what you got etc are very decent tracks.

• Advertisement

Has to be Led Zeppelin. Boring dad rock, ripped off older blues artists, Plant has a terrible voice, they made disparaging about Black Sabbath, a band who were far better musicians and more inventive.

Jesus Christ.
    I had to put the phone down and go outside after reading that

Advertisement