Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(Aug 17) NEW Interdepartmental HEO comp (Serving civil servants only)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Ok, so the ratio is about filling vacancies, not promoting/recruiting staff.
    I get you now.
    Thanks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Addle wrote: »
    Ok, so the ratio is about filling vacancies, not promoting/recruiting staff.
    I get you now.
    Thanks.

:(:(

Things like this were never explained at the outset- and had people more of the facts- they might have made different decisions..........

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Marls17

So I turned down a Dublin offer back in February in favour of my regional location thinking it would happen soon enough. As of yet not one person has been taken off the regional panel...in a year. Coincidentally there also has been no promotions off of my current departments internal panel and all of this leads me to believe that the departments are biding their time until the HEO mobility comes in to play and they will fill all their slots with Dublin based HEO's that have "done their time". I'm very discouraged at the moment and find PAS are reeling off the same old BS about not knowing what's coming down the road and each department controls their own promotions. Oh and as for the 1:1:1 ratio being monitored...forget about that. The departments will do as they please and take the rap on the knuckles after the whole thing is done and dusted. Apologies if this is a disheartening post, saying it as I see it🀷

Why would a department want inexperienced staff via mobility rather than experienced via interdepartmental?

When is HEO mobility starting anyways?
    So no. 5,000 on batch 100 can get a heo job in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Marls17

Why would a department want inexperienced staff via mobility rather than experienced via interdepartmental?

They would be experienced HEOs on the mobility???

• Advertisement

The HEOs trying to get mobility movements- are experienced staff too......

Also- there is nothing whatsoever to say that you'd be kept by your home Department- keep in mind- posts are offered as they arise- if there are multiple Departments and local offices in a given county (keep in mind all the DSEAP and other local offices)- you could just as easily be offered a post in a different Department in a different part of the county.

I have no idea when the mobility movements are starting- someone else can chase that one- however, the implication is the interdepartmental itself, at least in the case of several counties- are defacto 'on-hold' pending internal competitions and the mobility panel.........

Alongside mobility movements- you have some Departments totally ignoring the rules that other Departments are religiously following- without any apparent reprecussions- its almost like some Departments have 'most-favoured-child' status- whereas the others are unloved.

One way or the other- all we can do- is keep our heads down and keep going. There is still a year to run in the competition- it will start up again- not at the early pace of the competition- but it will restart nonetheless- albeit with competition for regional posts from a few other sources..........

Has anyone heard anything further over the last fortnight- or are we still at a standstill?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 stillstandin

Has anyone heard anything further over the last fortnight- or are we still at a standstill?

I was appointed during the week. Was placed at No. 2 of batch 1 on a Midlands regional panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Connected99

Would anyone know if, Interviews are also at a stand still?

I was advised back in July that i had been shortlisted but havent heard anything since Re: Interview.

Thanks!!!!

Would anyone know if, Interviews are also at a stand still?

I was advised back in July that i had been shortlisted but havent heard anything since Re: Interview.

Thanks!!!!

You'd have to contact PAS to ascertain what is happening- however, annecdotally, things have slowed down to a crawl over the last 6 months- with very small numbers getting offers. It would appear the early stages of the competition mopped up a lot of the pent-up demand- and perhaps gave the rest of us unrealistic expectations. Ask though- and if you could report back to us here- it would be helpful for us all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 yassin3

Just completed the tests

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭BlondeBomb

Has the Dublin Panel now exhausted?

You'd have to contact PAS to ascertain what is happening- however, annecdotally, things have slowed down to a crawl over the last 6 months- with very small numbers getting offers. It would appear the early stages of the competition mopped up a lot of the pent-up demand- and perhaps gave the rest of us unrealistic expectations. Ask though- and if you could report back to us here- it would be helpful for us all.

Will do!!

I sent off an email to them this morning.

Got the standard email reply from PAS................

There is no change/update in the situation since was notified of shortlisting & should any requests to fill vacancies come in from the regions that I have selected and if I am high enough on order of merit then they will be in touch.

I don't expect to hear anything from them anytime soon!!

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭BlondeBomb

Can I ask a question please on the process?

The competencies that are assessed, do they expect one particular example of a time when you demonstrated or can you be general and give an overall picture of you having capability of that competency.

I’m looking at Team Leadership and the points within it and I think it would be difficult to pin point it all into one example but could talk about it on what I’d do on a day to day basis.

Thanks for any input.

Has anyone any updates?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 mickey49172

Has anyone any updates?

Hi, I got promoted to my own dept to HEO on 12th November so delighted. I’m based in mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Tayto2017

Anyone heard anything about this panel in 2019? Seems to have gone very quiet?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Butlerscoffee

Tayto2017 wrote: »
    Anyone heard anything about this panel in 2019? Seems to have gone very quiet?!?

PAS rang me the other day and said said i can go for interview for a job in Kerry or Monaghan. When i mentioned that Cork was my 1st choice, they said there are no jobs in Cork and i will not be called for Cork so this is the end of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Tayto2017

PAS rang me the other day and said said i can go for interview for a job in Kerry or Monaghan. When i mentioned that Cork was my 1st choice, they said there are no jobs in Cork and i will not be called for Cork so this is the end of the road.

Sorry to hear that! I often wonder why they ask about preference of location when I read messages like this. So much work goes into form filing and preparing, it can be so disheartening. I hope they got it wrong and you get called for Cork before the panel closes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭got2meearlier

I did interview for Cork region batch 3.4 in September 2018. I was told by PAS just last month there are still 11 people on panel from batch 1 and/or 2 for Cork region awaiting placement. I think the expiry is in the next few months so not sure its going to amount to anything bar experience.

So PAS offered you an interview for a location other than those applied for?
    That hardly seems fair.

So PAS offered you an interview for a location other than those applied for?
    That hardly seems fair.

Yes, its nuts! I got offered Monaghan even though i only had Cork and Kerry on the form. The girl from PAS seemed a little bit nervous telling me that the panel was exhausted for me if i didnt go for interview for Kerry or Monaghan. She probably got an earful from other people. The whole of this competition has been a joke.

Kildare has stalled, completely and utterly. Don't know why its slowed down as much as it has- perhaps Departments are anticipating owing to the transfer panel? I don't know. One way or the other- we've another 8 months to go. Bah humbug.

How do they decide who they'll offer Monaghan to?
    It's so random.
    What departments are in Monaghan?

It's so random.

Definitely a number of local offices- some of which aren't public offices- over several Departments, incl. DSP and Ag (probably others).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

It's so random.

Basically a list of those due for interview next in their respective choices and hope someone shows interest in the Monaghan post.

Ninthlife wrote: »
    Basically a list of those due for interview next in their respective choices and hope someone shows interest in the Monaghan post.

But someone already on a panel might like the option.
    Better scores and not as much choice?!

But someone already on a panel might like the option.
    Better scores and not as much choice?!

How do you know you got a better score? From what i can tell from this thread, people got over 800 points less than me on the second exam and got called for an interview while i didnt as a result of the location i picked. This was never a nationwide competition and thats a fact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Cyclonius

No movement in Cavan in the last six months. Originally number four, and now next on the panel. The girl I was talking to last week said that there was no set end date for this panel (at least at present), but that it'd be current until at least Q3 of this year.

Advertisement