Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(Aug 17) NEW Interdepartmental HEO comp (Serving civil servants only)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 mickey49172

Yeah I’m batch 4 also. I’m working on the assumption that I wouldn’t have been called for interview unless at least one of my locations were coming close to exhausting their current panel.
    Here’s hoping anyway!

Yeah I was thinking the same, I’m sure we will get offered something at some stage, this competition is open until October 2019.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Slightly confused as to why some people have got their panel placing and others (me included) haven’t :confused:

Some of the regional locations are a lot more straightforward to panel than others- some of them though have people from the Dublin panel who turned down a Dublin post but are still eligible for a regional offer- and their scores from their previous interviews etc have to be matched into the recent cohort of regional interviews- before panel places are sent out for certain counties. Note- its probably only a couple of hours work- but given how they were trying to get stuff out the door on Friday evening- I imagine it means those who haven't gotten a panel place- will get a message in their inboxes on Mon/Tue.........

Well done to everyone who got through- its funny how some of us got through- and others not- I know my interview was like something from hell (it involved a retired Garda Superintendent)- and I hid in an empty office in tears after it. Ironically- I actually did quite well at that interview. Whereas- the presentation which I thought I'd aced (and I do presentations on a regular basis in work)- I barely scraped.......... Its hard to tell- and it really depends on how you match the requirements that the panel are seeking- I hit enough of the targets to get through- but my better marks were not where I thought I'd earned them..........

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Tayto2017

Congratulations!
    Which counties- if you don't mind my asking?

Tipperary and Clare!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 name123

Tayto2017 wrote: »
    Tipperary and Clare!!

Do mind me asking in around what number were u? As i was late 800, in batch 4 and had limerick and clare selected. I havent been called for interview yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 dubtravel

Just got word that I'm placed No. 3 in my region after doing the batch 4 interview.

Now does anyone know how this works? Is this 3 for the region panel as it stands overall or is it I got 3 from the batch 4 interviews and there could be more from batch 1,2 or 3 a head of me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 hellothere77

dubtravel wrote: »
    Just got word that I'm placed No. 3 in my region after doing the batch 4 interview.

Now does anyone know how this works? Is this 3 for the region panel as it stands overall or is it I got 3 from the batch 4 interviews and there could be more from batch 1,2 or 3 a head of me.

As far as I know u would be no 3 in Batch 4 and depending on your location there could be still be people on panel from batch 1, 2 or 3 ahead of you but also on the other side of that all the panels ahead of you could be exhausted so your panel is the only one to pull from. Really depends on whatever county you selected has a lot of vacancies or none

name123 wrote: »
    Do mind me asking in around what number were u? As i was late 800, in batch 4 and had limerick and clare selected. I havent been called for interview yet.

I was early 700, batch 3.4! Fingers crossed you will get called shortly for interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 name123

I was early 700, batch 3.4! Fingers crossed you will get called shortly for interview.

Thanks for the infor. Must be movement on limerick panel so. Hope it keeps moving. Hopefully u will get position soon after all ur hard work.

As far as I know u would be no 3 in Batch 4 and depending on your location there could be still be people on panel from batch 1, 2 or 3 ahead of you but also on the other side of that all the panels ahead of you could be exhausted so your panel is the only one to pull from. Really depends on whatever county you selected has a lot of vacancies or none
    Hey do you mind me asking what region you got number 3 in? I got number 4 for mayo.

Hi do you mind me asking what region you got number 3? I got number 4 for mayo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Penny22

Any movement on Longford & Leitrim panels?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 dubtravel

If anyone gets called from the panel from the stage 4 interview results can you reply and let me know.

If anyone gets called from the panel from the stage 4 interview results can you reply and let me know.

No word yet.

No word yet.

Has anyone heard any word yet about HEO or been made any offers?

Has anyone heard any word yet about HEO or been made any offers?

Nothing.. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Marls17

Nothing.. :(

It's all gone a bit quiet🀔

Ok- whose turn is it to ring PAS for an update?

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭AprilMayJune

I’m top five in a regional location south east area starting as HEO Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Congratulations and best of luck.
    Top 5 of what batch???

Addle wrote: »
    Congratulations and best of luck.
    Top 5 of what batch???

Batch 1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Marls17

I’m top five in a regional location south east area starting as HEO Monday.

Congratulations!

Batch 1

Wow. The opportunities in Dublin versus the rest of the country are incomparable.

Well done on your achievement.

Wow. The opportunities in Dublin versus the rest of the country are incomparable.

Well done on your achievement.

I know it’s crazy! I was top 30 going from supervised test to interview so it’s felt like it was never going to come!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭RWC15champions

I know it’s crazy! I was top 30 going from supervised test to interview so it’s felt like it was never going to come!

Huge congrats!
    And wow on the top 5 batch 1 taking this long to be placed 😮
    I was happy out with my top 5 batch 4 but not so confident of a job offer now!

Huge congrats!
    And wow on the top 5 batch 1 taking this long to be placed 😮
    I was happy out with my top 5 batch 4 but not so confident of a job offer now!
    Where abouts in the country reached batch 4?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭RWC15champions

Cork, Limerick, Louth, Laois, Kildare and a few others too........
    Plenty of counties have bankrupted their panels thus far (and thats the second batch of panels- never mind the first). Then there are also plenty of counties who haven't taken a single person from their respective panels..........
    Because certain counties have had their portion of the regional panel exhausted. You could choose two counties at the outset- and you'd effectively be on a separate panel for each county. Some counties (think Kildare, Cork, Limerick and a few others for example)- have drawn down a number of candidates- whereas other counties- haven't taken a single candidate from the panel. And then you have two Departments who have gone completely and utterly rogue with internal panels and haven't taken anyone off the panel, full stop- regardless of what the county is- and DPER haven't stopped them..........

Once a couple of counties have exhausted their candidates- PAS call the next batch to interview- regardless of there being a large cohort for other counties- who in all probability will never get called.

Its a numbers game- you have to be careful with the counties you put on the application form at the outset- it is more strategic to put down certain counties- than others................

Conductor mentioned these counties previously and he always seems to be on the ball with info.
    Pages 92 to 94 on the thread make for interesting reading on this.

Where abouts in the country reached batch 4?

I know Kildare is in Batch 4- however, and despite Batch 3 being exhausted since last March- Batch 4 is just sitting there, absolutely nothing whatsoever happening. The 3 biggies for Kildare- are Defence in Newbridge, Revenue in Athy, and Agriculture in Celbridge. Akin to people who took Dublin posts- there are a shedload of folk in Kildare- desperate to move between locations.

A lovely lady in PAS mentioned that the mobility element of the deployment ratios is only being done for HEO now (its the last grade they're working on). She said some Departments owe considerable numbers of posts to the mobility panel- and some personnel sections have deliberately been holding off on filling regional posts- as they have considerable numbers of officers who took posts in Dublin- and want to move back to regional locations- and obviously they're coming up on the 2 years obligatory stay in Dublin. This is deeply unhelpful for regional candidates who held out for a regional post- however, if the ratios are applied strictly- it'll be 1:1:1 for Internal:Mobility:Interdepartmental - once they get moving again. Some people did apparently make a case to Forsa to try and increase the interdepartmental element for regional panels- however, I'm not aware that Forsa undertook to explore this possibility with Management (and keep in mind- they have considerable numbers of officers in Dublin desperately trying to get back to regional posts- so they're conflicted one way or the other).

Its an unsatisfactory situation- made even worse by the fact that some Departments are following the letter of law- for example Defence in Newbridge or even Agriculture- whereas others are running roughshod over the entire process (Revenue anyone?).........

The only advice I can really offer- is keep your powder dry. The panel has another year to run. Even if there is a slow down once mobility posts open up for regional positions- there will still be promotions off the interdepartmental panels, albeit at a slower pace. Chin up- it'll get there- and until it does- there are a rake of other competitions happening the whole time- apply for everything- worse case scenario, it'll keep your mind nimble doing those bloody computerised exams- and your CV up-to-date...........

Regardless of the slowdown- we have new staff coming in- which is great to see after the lost decade that we all suffered under.

I didn't realise mobility was considered part of the 1:1:1 ratio.

How is a transfer = a promotion?

• Advertisement

I didn't realise mobility was considered part of the 1:1:1 ratio.

It wasn't- aside from any other reason- there wasn't a mobility panel for HEOs.
    The HEO posts-as they arise- are to be filled by the 1:1:1 ratio- which may mean a regional post gets filled by a Dublin HEO which opens up a Dublin HEO post for the Dublin panel. This is what I meant be inferring it was deeply unfair.

As to how is a transfer = a promotion- obviously- it isn't. Its not viewed as a promotion though- its viewed as filling a vacant position. Where the promotion occurs- is considered to be moot- some locations are always going to be massively oversubscribed- and if only local civil servants are allowed mop up HEO posts in particular locations- there is no roadmap for other civil servants at HEO grade- to get back to their preferred locations......... That is the point.

Forsa have been made fully aware of the situation- and are doing nothing- because they have all their Dublin members vociferously demanding they be assisted in their endeavours to return to regional locations........

Its a bit of a damned no matter what you do situation. Lots of people gave up Dublin offers- in favour of trying for a regional post- and they now have to compete with pre-existing HEOs who took Dublin posts earlier in the competition- for regional posts as they arise.......... Get what I'm saying?

This is what was conveyed to me by one of the staff from PAS- when I queried why some locations which had been filling fairly large numbers of posts from earlier in the competition- all of a sudden seem to have ground to a halt............

From personnel officers perspectives- they are filling a vacancy in a location. Its not that its a promotion- its a vacancy. A vacancy does not equal a promotion.

Advertisement