Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is an electric an option

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

KCross wrote: »
    It was tongue in cheek.... the gear required makes no financial sense at the moment.

You're looking at about €6k for a 14kWh Tesla Powerwall
    https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/powerwall

And then add on the Solar PV panels and associated equipment. All in, probably around the €10k mark.

I've recently got a 3kw PV system installed. Next job is the battery, but I fear it could be a while before they become affordable.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭RootX

KCross wrote: »
    For an 30kWh SV(Acenta) in the UK that might be around 182/191 for that price point. They are making £13k right now.

Its just a guess but hard to tell with Brexit, sterling and Leaf II about to be announced.

Not sure I understand your 3-4yrs comment. If you are saving €2k+ on fuel each year are you not saving on year 1?

Or are you just referring to initial capital outlay and not working it out as an average per year?

Of course, the most value is in buying 2nd hand anyway as you can remove the majority of the depreciation.

You're right, I should have phrased it better. We own 2 cars at the moment, a 05 and a 08 RAV4, both petrol. From September onward, my wife is back to the office from maternity leave and since we both work in the same area, we'll be using one car to commute MON-FRI, ~100km* daily.

So if we wanted to keep one of the ICE cars for weekend use(mountain biking, etc) and switch to EV for our commute, one option would be to sell the 05 and buy one of the cheapest leafs possible. We'll probably have to spend 4-5K on top of what we'll get for the 05 and any savings from switching to EV will be obvious after a year or so (taking road tax and maintenance into account as well).
    If we wanted to go for a newer one we'll probably looking at spending a good 10K on top of what we'll get for the 05 which doesn't make much sense I suppose.

Another option would be to sell the 08 but it's a car we don't really want to part with plus they don't go for much money anyway. We'd probably do it for a 30KWh SVE but like you said their price isn't going to drop that low anytime soon.

I'll probably need to stop contemplating and lower my expectations re. year/spec and prices :)

*@ unkel: with creche/school drop offs/pickups closer to 100.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

kceire wrote: »
    I've recently got a 3kw PV system installed. Next job is the battery, but I fear it could be a while before they become affordable.

IKEA are doing PV and battery storage units.

Only in the UK though! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

@OP : Do you have the ability to charge at work?

Advertisement