Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco – the Cuddly Capitalists

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭noaddedsugar

GLaDOS wrote: »
    My sister uses the Tesco delivery service and seems to be endlessly complaining about how they brought the wrong item/forgot an item/showed up late :pac:. Could just be the store she goes to.

Yeah, could be the store. It works out perfect 99% of the time for me. They turned up an hour late once and I complained and got a 10e voucher for my inconvenience. That's another plus, their customer service is always fantastic. Oh and my clubcard vouchers get me and my husband free credit so we never have to pay anything for our phones.

*I don't work for Tesco I swear*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭Allinall

jetsonx wrote: »
    Yes...The must take their audience for a right crowd of gombeens...

You appear to have given it a fair amount of attention .

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Essentially an ad that could be for just about anything - that could be an ad for health insurance, an ad for a mortgage provider, an ad for an electricity provide, an ad for a furniture chain, an ad for a clothing chain, an ad for... well, just about anything.
    Which seems to be the case with most ads these days. Cheesy and without any connection to what's being advertised.

But as their ads aren't the reason I don't shop with them, but rather their ridiculous prices and poor quality fruit and vegetables, I really don't care much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Its no different to those smarmy xmas ads where happy families all seem to live in big gaffs with steps up to the front door like in Rathgar or Ranelagh. Barf!

Exactly.

Why is Tesco suddenly evil for doing schmaltzy adverts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Has anybody noticed that neither Tesco nor Dunnes, with their billions in assets, sponsor things -clubs, societies, festivals, concerts, etc - in Irish society? The most they do is allow clubs, etc to collect money via packing shopping. They don't actually part with any of their own money, though.

How are they getting away with giving so little back?

Super Valu do sponsor a wide array of things - most conspicuously local GAA clubs - but as I've yet to encounter better value in a Super Valu store I find the prices and target market to be aimed firmly at older people/people who don't search online for better prices. That Super Valu are intentionally located disproportionately in the smaller towns of rural Ireland, where they usually are the monopoly supermarket with monopoly prices, just makes me repulsed at the Musgraves and their dominance (they also own Centra, Mace, Daybreak, etc). Price gougers on a shocking scale.

Compared to M&S, Tesco also does support the Irish food industry. M&S is really awful at not supporting the hundreds of thousands of people in our largest indigenous industry, agriculture. Unlike Tesco in Ireland, M&S in Ireland has a "Buy British" policy. More people should be made aware of this cost to our economy.

In short, give me Tesco over Super Valu - but I await a supermarket which can give us good value and give valuable support to local groups and societies.

To be fair, a friend of mine just got his local community service (for the elderly) added to their token thingy (you put tokens from your shopping in to donate money).

Supermarkets provide employment and allow you to buy groceries.

When a business like Super Valu sponsors community clubs, it's for the same reason as schmaltzy adverts by Tesco: advertising.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

All large retailers are ruthless.

But that's because the average shopper thinks they should be able to buy a fresh chicken, litre of milk and loaf of bread for the price of a pint in their local.

Does not compute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Aldi introduced me to 85% dark chocolate. Thank you Aldi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

Tesco who took their dominance in the Irish market for granted for year and are now being outsmarted by the Germans who offer the Irish consumer significantly better quality for much lower prices.

As Tesco have no real quality or price advantage, they have now decided to play the cuddly capitalism card with a new advertising campaign themed on the “Family”. Most people have probably seen the ad on TV or their billboards around Ireland. It’s a feel-good sort of ad with a quasi-poetic narrative, pictures of happy families and some token minorities thrown in for good measure.

Given that Tesco is one the most ruthless retailers operating in this country with extremely dubious ethical credentials, does anyone else find this advertising campaign hypocritical and cringeworthy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zjUeCaWR3I
    What's your point OP? Are you saying that the German discounters don't use families in their ads?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Half the time I don't know what I'm being advertised anymore. I think the companies behind these campaigns are running out of road and are getting increasingly desperate. I guess the mantra is, when in doubt pump 'em full of sap and hope for the best?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

wtf is a 'big shop'?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭jetsonx

What's your point OP? Are you saying that the German discounters don't use families in their ads?

nope.

What I'm saying is there is a huge chasm between the way Tesco portrays itself in this advertisement campaign and the way Tesco really behaves in the marketplace.

Watch this video from Channel 4 News and learn how Tesco really operates:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2S4AOCnX_GI

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

snowflaker wrote: »
    wtf is a 'big shop'?

Getting enough messages to last a week or two. Stock up on minerals and crips

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Half the time I don't know what I'm being advertised anymore. I think the companies behind these campaigns are running out of road and are getting increasingly desperate. I guess the mantra is, when in doubt pump 'em full of sap and hope for the best?
    Why mess with a winning formula?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Exactly. Not only is this ad hypocritical and cynical, it also ad smacks of total desperation. It's like there're just grasping at straws.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,745 ✭✭✭degsie

Tesco, every Lidl helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

nope.

What I'm saying is there is a huge chasm between the way Tesco portrays itself in this advertisement campaign and the way Tesco really behaves in the marketplace.

Watch this video from Channel 4 News and learn how Tesco really operates:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2S4AOCnX_GI
    That's really shocking. And all this time I thought they were my friend. I liked their Facebook page and everything. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Neither do I. I just look at the obligatory attractive model in the ad and don't bother with the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Dunnes are a horrible company from the top down, some of their practices would put Tesco to shame, for some reason ("they're Irish") they seem to get a free pass from the complaining classes.

In what sense? I've always shopped at Dunnes because its the nearest supermarket to me. I used to it at Superquinn which went downhill after Feargal Quinn sold it. I have always disliked Tesco I espeically hate the LED lighting they use in their stores. The Dunnes in Cornelscourt has always been a great shop over the years it has become a better than Superquinn was IMO.

I do half my shopping in Dunnes and the other half in Lidl as they dont have all the stuff I have and works out great.

• Advertisement

That's really shocking. And all this time I thought they were my friend. I liked their Facebook page and everything. :eek:

Yes, and that's the tip of iceberg. There appears to be an awful lot of evidence out there from reputable sources what a dirty player Tesco is.

The same can't be said for Aldi and Lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

snowflaker wrote: »
    wtf is a 'big shop'?

It's a large building where you buy things. But that's not important right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Lidl and Aldi are **** though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,516 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I don't want my capitalists to be cuddly. I want them to be red in tooth and claw. I don't want their advertising budget to go on a bunch of hippie huggina
    koala bear crap. I want negative attack ads telling me what's a rip off in their competitors, and throw in some more loss leaders in the booze aisle while they are at it.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Deub

Tesco who took their dominance in the Irish market for granted for year and are now being outsmarted by the Germans who offer the Irish consumer significantly better quality for much lower prices.

Given that Tesco is one the most ruthless retailers operating in this country with extremely dubious ethical credentials...

And how do you think the Germans can have products for much lower price?

I don't think it is by being nice or reducing their profits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Exactly. Not only is this ad hypocritical and cynical, it also ad smacks of total desperation. It's like there're just grasping at straws.

Still waiting for you to tell us about all their unethical practices.
    Yes, and that's the tip of iceberg. There appears to be an awful lot of evidence out there from reputable sources what a dirty player Tesco is.

The same can't be said for Aldi and Lidl.

Oh, there's the claim again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Funny thing is that Tesco profits are shared by millions of people as they are a publically traded company with the majority of shares owned by pension funds.

Super valu = Musgrave family + individual store owners

Dunnes = dunnes family only

Aldi / lidl - like dunnes, private family ownership.

So for returning profits back to people, tesco wins hands down.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,516 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Still waiting for you to tell us about all their unethical practices.

This seems pretty unethical to me... no idea if the same thing happens here or is conducted by other supermarkets operating here though.
    Not even sure if it'd be illegal here, but I think it certainly falls into the realm of sharp practice.

http://www.farmersjournal.ie/tesco-intentionally-delayed-payments-to-suppliers-to-support-profits-198992

UK retail giant Tesco has been found to have “seriously breached” a legally-binding code to protect suppliers to the grocery sector in the UK, according to the grocery market watchdog in the UK. Christine Tacon, the groceries code adjudicator, identified three key issues during her investigation into Tesco that arose after the retailer admitted to overstating profits in 2014. Tacon had serious concerns around unilateral deductions that Tesco had made against suppliers to maintain margins, the length of time the retailer had taken to pay some suppliers and in some cases, an intentional delay in paying suppliers in order to support profits.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Deub wrote: »
    And how do you think the Germans can have products for much lower price?

I don't think it is by being nice or reducing their profits.

Much bigger economies of scale than Tesco.

Economies of scale built through their worldwide distribution of stores.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

odyssey06 wrote: »
    This seems pretty unethical to me... no idea if the same thing happens here or is conducted by other supermarkets operating here though.

You don't know if it happens here but still use it to answer the question?

Advertisement