Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco – the Cuddly Capitalists

Options
  • 14-08-2017 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭

Tesco who took their dominance in the Irish market for granted for year and are now being outsmarted by the Germans who offer the Irish consumer significantly better quality for much lower prices.

As Tesco have no real quality or price advantage, they have now decided to play the cuddly capitalism card with a new advertising campaign themed on the “Family”. Most people have probably seen the ad on TV or their billboards around Ireland. It’s a feel-good sort of ad with a quasi-poetic narrative, pictures of happy families and some token minorities thrown in for good measure.

Given that Tesco is one the most ruthless retailers operating in this country with extremely dubious ethical credentials, does anyone else find this advertising campaign hypocritical and cringeworthy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zjUeCaWR3I

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Did we not have a thread on this already?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Love their BBQ pulled beef and sweet onion mash meal. ****ing best bbq sauce I've had!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

jetsonx wrote: »

Given that Tesco is one the most ruthless retailers operating in this country with extremely dubious ethical credentials, does anyone else find this advertising campaign hypocritical and cringeworthy?
    [/url]

What factualities are you basing that on, what independent research highlights what dubious ethical credentials?

And unless you just bought a TV for the first time you'll have noticed that families have long featured in their ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

425186.jpg

Jesus, that's fairly awful. I've seen Alan Parker films that were less blatantly manipulative. Someone so obviously sat down and said "must get in a gay couple, some elderly folk, a child with Down Syndrome, a mixed race couple"...it's as if they had a checklist. Mawkish and cynical.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Reminds me. Must stop by Tesco on the way home. Thanks OP!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I cant say I gave it a 2nd thought. Its an ad, the whole point is to be manipulative.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Well at least they have food on the shelves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Multinational corporation in out-for-themselves shocker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

tesco is far superior in terms of range and quality than the germans.
    one also can do a full shop in tesco..

german chains arent without their charm but tesco is a better experience imo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Great delivery service.

Anyone still paying attention to advertising in 2017 is in no position to bemoan another individual/business as being a problem tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 30,373 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

If I need to do a big shop and could only go to one supermarket I'd go to Tesco. The staff are very friendly, store is clean, good special offers, everything I need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Guy Sajer

Not to mention their great tuberware selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Tesco is for rich people

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭jetsonx

Jesus, that's fairly awful. I've seen Alan Parker films that were less blatantly manipulative. Someone so obviously sat down and said "must get in a gay couple, some elderly folk, a child with Down Syndrome, a mixed race couple"...it's as if they had a checklist. Mawkish and cynical.

Yes...The must take their audience for a right crowd of gombeens...

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The problem is if you don't include one of everything you have some bloody group or other on social media bleating on about discrimination and victimising kids with "slightlydifferentitis" or some other ****e.

Has anybody noticed that neither Tesco nor Dunnes, with their billions in assets, sponsor things -clubs, societies, festivals, concerts, etc - in Irish society? The most they do is allow clubs, etc to collect money via packing shopping. They don't actually part with any of their own money, though.

How are they getting away with giving so little back?

Super Valu do sponsor a wide array of things - most conspicuously local GAA clubs - but as I've yet to encounter better value in a Super Valu store I find the prices and target market to be aimed firmly at older people/people who don't search online for better prices. That Super Valu are intentionally located disproportionately in the smaller towns of rural Ireland, where they usually are the monopoly supermarket with monopoly prices, just makes me repulsed at the Musgraves and their dominance (they also own Centra, Mace, Daybreak, etc). Price gougers on a shocking scale.

Compared to M&S, Tesco also does support the Irish food industry. M&S is really awful at not supporting the hundreds of thousands of people in our largest indigenous industry, agriculture. Unlike Tesco in Ireland, M&S in Ireland has a "Buy British" policy. More people should be made aware of this cost to our economy.

In short, give me Tesco over Super Valu - but I await a supermarket which can give us good value and give valuable support to local groups and societies.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Has anybody noticed that neither Tesco nor Dunnes, with their billions in assets, sponsor things -clubs, societies, festivals, concerts, etc - in Irish society? The most they do is allow clubs, etc to collect money via packing shopping. They don't actually part with any of their own money, though.

Tesco have a massive thing where they sponsor local community groups and you vote every time you shop? Is that not their money?
    As for giving back, what are they taking that they should be "giving back"??

• Registered Users Posts: 30,373 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Tesco has given a good bit to local clubs/groups/schools etc in the past year or more from The Community fund.
    http://food-and-community.tesco.ie/home/supporting-local-communities/community-fund-stories/what-is-community-fund/

Even when I was at school the school got computers/equipment from computer/sports for schools vouchers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭diograis

The problem is if you don't include one of everything you have some bloody group or other on social media bleating on about discrimination and victimising kids with "slightlydifferentitis" or some other ****e.

You sound angry. PC culture gone mad I tell ya. Cheer up hun x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭noaddedsugar

Love Tesco delivery, I get a 10e voucher off my shop every week and I don't need to drag the kids to the supermarket. I did an Aldi shop for a change a while back and swore never again. Put all the food in the trolley, unload food onto conveyor belt, put food back in trolley, put food in boot of car, carry food inside compared to having a cheery bloke bring the food directly into my kitchen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Don't know about Dunnes but Tesco certainly do. They also pick a charity every year to which any funds raised go to, it was the Make a Wish Foundation for a while, maybe Temple Street now.

They also have helped set up some sort of food bank to which they give food to a place which then distributes around various groups.

Basically this thread is people getting outraged about sleights that don't exist.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Love Tesco delivery, I get a 10e voucher off my shop every week and I don't need to drag the kids to the supermarket. I did an Aldi shop for a change a while back and swore never again. Put all the food in the trolley, unload food onto conveyor belt, put food back in trolley, put food in boot of car, carry food inside compared to having a cheery bloke bring the food directly into my kitchen, I swore never again.

My sister uses the Tesco delivery service and seems to be endlessly complaining about how they brought the wrong item/forgot an item/showed up late :pac:. Could just be the store she goes to.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 11,528 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

jetsonx wrote: »
    Tesco who took their dominance in the Irish market for granted for year and are now being outsmarted by the Germans who offer the Irish consumer significantly better quality for much lower prices.

https://www.kantarworldpanel.com/ie/grocery-market-share/ireland/snapshot
    ThisRegard wrote: »
    Don't know about Dunnes but Tesco certainly do. They also pick a charity every year to which any funds raised go to, it was the Make a Wish Foundation for a while, maybe Temple Street now.

They also have helped set up some sort of food bank to which they give food to a place which then distributes around various groups.

Basically this thread is people getting outraged about sleights that don't exist.

Dunnes are a horrible company from the top down, some of their practices would put Tesco to shame, for some reason ("they're Irish") they seem to get a free pass from the complaining classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

The advert is corny but I'm not sure why it's worthy of being singled out.

Are all the other capitalist adverts Oscar standard works of integrity and veracity?

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tracey turnblad

I worked for Tesco for 20 years... started in quinnsworth. Tesco does so much for the community that they don't talk about. The one I worked in had a clothing section and anything that doesnt sell was given to charity. Sometimes they would just clear a **** load of stuff to zero without putting it into a sale and we would give it to temple st, merchants quay, Regina ceoili etc. They also run a charity of the year and while they don't donate directly they give the charity so much free publicity and chance to have fund raising events etc... they donate stuff to the fund raising sales etc. They also do the blue token for local smaller charities. I know they have their bad points but they do deserve some credit for what they do... Dunnes don't do the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I'm ok with them.....prices, range and quality are grand and you can use the points to offset your gas and electricity bills.....

.....the customer service in our local one is pretty sh1te

Unless their prices were to increase I'd be minded to stick with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,072 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

The advert is corny but I'm not sure why it's worthy of being singled out.
    Its no different to those smarmy xmas ads where happy families all seem to live in big gaffs with steps up to the front door like in Rathgar or Ranelagh. Barf!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,107 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Tesco chicken like stakes best around plus seagull population gone way down.

Advertisement