Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How are poor performers dealt with in your job?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Decimation.

One in ten chosen by lot to be bludgeoned to death by the other nine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

steddyeddy wrote: »

The lab in America is a different story. Don't get results and you're gone.

Not getting the result of lab tests would be fairly serious alright :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭sjb25

They are promoted to management.

Ah civil servant like myself :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

In the last place I worked, poor performers were simply ignored.
    Nobody wanted to be the one to take them to task.

As a result, the company lost all its good employees who left out of resentment.
    They didn't want to be carrying the dead weight.

It was a shame as the company had a lot of potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

What's pip?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Jesus Wept wrote: »
    What's pip?

Performance improvement plan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Jesus Wept wrote: »
    What's pip?

Performance Improvement Plan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

bee06 wrote: »
    Performance Improvement Plan

Snap ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Decimation.

One in ten chosen by lot to be bludgeoned to death by the other nine.

So weeding out the weak and a team-building exercise in one....very efficient!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

They just seem to disappear of the face of the earth,there one day and gone the next day. Where they go to nobody knows.
    Only joking,they just get fired

at in pubs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Emperor Qianlong

Performance improvement plan

sounds like a good laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 28,799 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

In my experience (as a manager who's had to do it), it can be done but the process is extremely slow and it's very rare it gets to termination. Usually the employee in question will quit first.

The bigger problem can be a lack of supports at higher level for good employees unless you're in sales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

There's a company ethos in our place that everybody is aware of and accepts. Work hard and you will be well rewarded, become a slacker and you'll be gone, somehow. If it is a matter of someone needing training or support, it will be readily given without question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Usually just given the worst projects and the most tedious work in the hope the person quits eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,356 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Nothing happens at all.

There's this myth that it's easy to fire people in the private sector, and difficult to fire those in the public sector.

That's complete fabrication. You're on very dodgy ground when attempting to fire anybody in permanent employment, purely for poor performance.

There is no legal distinction between the public and private sectors.

This.

Very hard to sack poor performers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

Instant PIP, followed by HR/management putting pressure on you. HR go to the next step and tell you there job is to protect the company and thats it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Are poor performers ever dealt with appropriately in your job? Ireland is funny in that we always seem to give the benefit of the doubt to all people in a workplace. My boss avoids dealing with conflict and puts poor peformance down to people having a bad day. Other bosses threaten to discipline anyone who falls out of line then they lose their nerve.

Punished with more flexible working conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

My boss has a deal with a recruitment agency. Good workers get taken on full time by the company after a month or 2 and bad workers are told they are no longer needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    This.

Very hard to sack poor performers.

It really depends on the contract they're on. I don't think permenant contracts are always a good thing. Too many places hand them out willy nilly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

2 strikes and youre out in my place. Thats 2 poor performance ratings in a row.
    When I worked in a city council nothing happened for poor performers, unions made sure of that. I did see one useless fecker promoted in order to get him moved to a different section.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭Tsipras

Are poor performers ever dealt with appropriately in your job? Ireland is funny in that we always seem to give the benefit of the doubt to all people in a workplace. My boss avoids dealing with conflict and puts poor peformance down to people having a bad day. Other bosses threaten to discipline anyone who falls out of line then they lose their nerve.

who gives a ****, worry about your own life, if you haven't been rewarded properly it's probably because you're a weirdo with no social skills

Banned.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    In my experience (as a manager who's had to do it), it can be done but the process is extremely slow and it's very rare it gets to termination. Usually the employee in question will quit first.

The bigger problem can be a lack of supports at higher level for good employees unless you're in sales.

I think part of the supports for higher level employees are competent lower level employees. Right now we have someone meant to be helping our team who hasn't got a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,725 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Unions are good to have in case a bullying boss takes a dislike to you and wants to push you out, at least you have a bit of back up with a union. Any non unionised companies, the managers don't genuinely want a poor performer to improve, they want them out the door and probably enjoy the process. I have never once encountered a compassionate boss, male or female, in a non unionised company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Glad you brought this up. This is probably the attitude I hate the most.

If you're not getting paid enough go to someplace that will pay you what you think your talents are worth. OR, and this may be controversial, use the talents you think you have to make the company work better, become more profitable and THEN put in a pay claim. But, you know, weird thinking I know.

I don't want a wage rise. Where did i say i did?

I'm perfectly happy taking my wages and iv'e zero interest in ladder climbing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    So weeding out the weak and a team-building exercise in one....very efficient!
    And adds a whole new meaning to employee of the month.

Quandary wrote: »
    I'm a primary school teacher so in my line of work people who don't pull their weight get cushy positions in learning support where they can cause as little damage as possible while they fester and rot their way into retirement.

Unfortunately, the few unlucky kids that need learning support will suffer :(

It's an amazing job but the lack of accountability is what I hate most about teaching. Principals have no real power to deal with bad/lazy teachers. I work hard to do my best but it's difficult to keep going the extra mile when you see such laziness around you :(

Trust me when I say the good teachers will be remembered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Glad you brought this up. This is probably the attitude I hate the most.

If you're not getting paid enough go to someplace that will pay you what you think your talents are worth. OR, and this may be controversial, use the talents you think you have to make the company work better, become more profitable and THEN put in a pay claim. But, you know, weird thinking I know.

I hate this attitude .......... why is it "work your ar5e off for us first and then we might (maybe!) pay you more ........." ? ............ why not "here's a fantastic salary, now show us that you're worth it please!" ?

In my opinion if you pay peanuts then don't expect your employees to go above and beyond for you .......... you get what you pay for so if you want more then pay more.

MadDog76 wrote: »
    I hate this attitude .......... why is it "work your ar5e off for us first and then we might (maybe!) pay you more ........." ? ............ why not "here's a fantastic salary, now show us that you're worth it please!" ?

Probably because successful business owners aren't morons.

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    I don't want a wage rise. Where did i say i did?

I'm perfectly happy taking my wages and iv'e zero interest in ladder climbing.

Don't worry, there's not a ladder anywhere near you. You're going through the motions because you're on a poor salary. Companies do need people like this, but they are obviously not key. Good for you if you're happy in this role.

• Advertisement

MadDog76 wrote: »

In my opinion if you pay peanuts then don't expect your employees to go above and beyond for you .......... you get what you pay for so if you want more then pay more.

It depends. I it pays peanuts but there's oppertunity to rise then I'll put my heart and soul into it. I won't work harder than I need to for a very low wage with no real prospects.

Advertisement