Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Saorview ever going to add more channels?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

DOB Radio should be on saorview no question but given his line of thinking he'd probably refuse to allow it!

Who are you talking about? The Minister! Radio channels must be encouraged to join the platform, especially when they are not available on FM.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

I was talking to someone in TV3 recently and asked why it wasn't HD on Saorview and why there wasn't also wasn't a +1. Simple he said, RTE wanted a couple of million per annum for that so they walked away

• Registered Users Posts: 34,226 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I forgot to mention Saorview have added a new radio channel "Radio Maria Ireland" epg 210. Isn't this exciting! Hope its a start, I'd like to see many other stations joining as well ie. Newstalk, Spirit Radio, 4fm and even Today FM.

Will BAI apply the usual balance and standards requirements to this religious channel.....?

Don't hold your breath.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,000 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

jay0109 wrote: »
    I was talking to someone in TV3 recently and asked why it wasn't HD on Saorview and why ihere wasn't also wasn't a +1. Simple he said, RTE wanted a coupe of million per annum for that so they walked away

In essence TV3 did not want to pay the cost of going HD on Saorview.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,944 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

In essence TV3 did not want to pay the cost of going HD on Saorview.

Ah there's probably a lot more to it, you d be surprised of the politics that's involved in such projects

• Advertisement

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Ah there's probably a lot more to it, you d be surprised of the politics that's involved in such projects

It does help Virgin Media to distinguish itself from Saorview by being on Saorview only in SD.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,944 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

It does help Virgin Media to distinguish itself from Saorview by being on Saorview only in SD.

Makes sense, competitive advantage I guess, shur they're all at it to some degree

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Will BAI apply the usual balance and standards requirements to this religious channel.....?

Don't hold your breath.

I was think that was just for the popes visit.

The old TV3 never joined Saorsat even, so VMtv are not going to make any advances or improvements to Saorview and we can see why. I won't like to see full HD for RTE 1&2 (1920by1080i) and 720by576i for SD.

RTE2+1 is launching on Saorview on the 13/02/19 RTE1+1 will also run 24 hours a day. Its not much of an addition but its something, first addition since Utv Ireland 01/01/15. Virgin Media have complained about it, don't know why.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭JDxtra

If RTE do anything, Virgin will complain!

RTE2+1 is launching on Saorview on the 13/02/19 RTE1+1 will also run 24 hours a day. Its not much of an addition but its something, first addition since Utv Ireland Virgin Media Three 01/01/1517. Virgin Media have complained about it, don't know why.

FYP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Virgin should be kicked off saorview. Actually no, they might well welcome that - they should be legally mandated to provide HD on all channels.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Virgin should be kicked off saorview. Actually no, they might well welcome that - they should be legally mandated to provide HD on all channels.

I've said this before. They should be required to broadcast in 720i (720 * 576i) which would give a very good picture - not quite HD but a lot better than smudgy vision. They should also be required to broadcast a minimum average bandwidth.

I think their content is much more grounds for complaint - repeats of repeats - with little to no original programmes. Who cares if the PQ is rubbish if the content is rubbish?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Elmo wrote: »
    FYP.

Inaccurately.

I think it might be difficult to force any broadcaster to use a specific resolution, but ......

if the charges for all TV channels were adjusted to cover 720 and 1080, including those for RTÉ, then broadcasters might be more willing to use the bandwidth they already pay for.

A scheme could be arranged so that +1 channels would be allocated the lesser bandwidth, or even maybe a reducing cost depending on the number of channels broadcast by any one entity.

I believe there 'must' be ways to encourage broadcasters to use reasonable resolutions without specifying those resolutions and bit rates..

L1011 wrote: »
    Inaccurately.

Sarcastically :)

Suppose be3 does count either for Virgin Media Television!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Don't forget TG4 in all this too. Why should their HD service only be available on a foreign network.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,728 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Don't forget TG4 in all this too. Why should their HD service only be available on a foreign network.

Tax funded so their HD should be forced onto Saorview.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

What sort of cash would tg4 be getting for hd on pay tv? It is a damn shame it is not in hd in saorview, especially with the amount of sport they carry.

Saying that you see very few complaints from saorview viewers about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

What sort of cash would tg4 be getting for hd on pay tv? It is a damn shame it is not in hd in saorview, especially with the amount of sport they carry.

Saying that you see very few complaints from saorview viewers about it.

That's because no one really cares. Apart from sport, it's ignored by 95% of the population.

So there's no real need for it to be in HD. We have RTE in HD, that's all we really need on Saorview.

That's because no one really cares. Apart from sport, it's ignored by 95% of the population.

So there's no real need for it to be in HD. We have RTE in HD, that's all we really need on Saorview.

Not really the point. TG4 have been give a separate grant for HD from the government on several occasions, not once did the department think of Saorview when handing them the grant. Indeed AFAIK TG4 have push for HD productions across their service.

Surely if you are giving TG4 funidng for TG4 HD, you'd mention or go so far as to stipulate that TG4 put it up on Saorview in HD.

Spoke to the dept about this they don't give a ****.

Elmo wrote: »
    Not really the point. TG4 have been give a separate grant for HD from the government on several occasions, not once did the department think of Saorview when handing them the grant. Indeed AFAIK TG4 have push for HD productions across their service.

Surely if you are giving TG4 funidng for TG4 HD, you'd mention or go so far as to stipulate that TG4 put it up on Saorview in HD.

Spoke to the dept about this they don't give a ****.

A one-off grant would cover cameras and studio. Moving to HD transmission is an ongoing cost.

Presumably whatever deal tg4 have with Sky and Virgin makes it viable for them, great, they're private businesses and best of luck to them.

Throwing more government money away on something that no one really wants is not a good idea.

A one-off grant would cover cameras and studio. Moving to HD transmission is an ongoing cost.

Presumably whatever deal tg4 have with Sky and Virgin makes it viable for them, great, they're private businesses and best of luck to them.

Throwing more government money away on something that no one really wants is not a good idea.

I think they applied over a few years TBH, vast majority of programmes are independently produced, TG4 only asks that shows are produced in HD, they don't fund their producers to upgrade. News Studio yes would have been upgraded, much along the lines of any upgrade require.

No one is asking that the government throw more money at TG4 we just expect that as a public service broadcaster that they provide that service to all not just Pay TV viewers, who end up footing the bill twice.

Much like Virgin Media Television the cost of SD Broadcast is much less than that of Analogue, TG4 HD wouldn't cost much more or less than analogue.

Can you imagine if RTÉ just kept their HD channels on Saorview.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

I find it sad that a channel like TG4 supported by the tax payer, will only show it's TG4 HD channel on foreign owned platforms.

For the many tax payers with only Saorview who are denied the luxury of TG4 HD.

FRIENDO wrote: »
    I find it sad that a channel like TG4 supported by the tax payer, will only show it's TG4 HD channel on foreign owned platforms.

For the many tax payers with only Saorview who are denied the luxury of TG4 HD.

Luxury is exactly the word.

There are better things to spend our taxes on.

Again; this is not a service that anyone wants. The general principle that it "should" be available in HD is not a good reason to waste public money.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,226 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

There is no actual cost to this, the space on the mux is just currently wasted, and any increase in fee goes to RTE. It's a (small) circular transaction from one public body to another.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

Luxury is exactly the word.

Again; this is not a service that anyone wants. The general principle that it "should" be available in HD is not a good reason to waste public money.

I think you are underestimating the value of TV.
    In many homes its turned on, its company, an escape, entertainment, sport, enjoyment and even sadness along with the news and education, I don't mind my taxes funding TV, however it is annoying a State supported TV channel TG4 does not broadcast its TG4 HD Channel for all tax payers to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,728 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Our taxes have already been spent on it. To say that nobody wants it in HD is plain wrong.

• Advertisement

lertsnim wrote: »
    Our taxes have already been spent on it. To say that nobody wants it in HD is plain wrong.

My point is that people here only want it because they think we should have it. It's a point of principle.

No one actually wants the content (again, apart from sport).

I don't think that's a great use of additional taxpayer funding.

Advertisement