Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Discrimination by Ryanair"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,639 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Sure didnt Ryanair chuck a group of blind people off a plane a few years ago. Told them that if there was a fire onboard and the cabin filled with smoke they wouldnt know how to get out. In fairness to the blind people they would know better than anyone how to get out of a cabin with no vision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod- Thread reopened with correct link.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Some Irish companies are basket cases losing millions year after year some well run Irish companies are making millions year on year

Deflect deflect deflect

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/wheelchair-passenger-had-to-disembark-from-ryanair-flight-1.3180633

Has anyone else read this absolute nonsense. Pilot wasn't sure the spec of the chair was ok to take on board, so asked them to leave the flight.

Once they got the specifications and saw it was ok, they were sent on the next flight, a WHOPPING two hours later, after getting refreshment vouchers so they didn't starve during their "ordeal".

Why are people so pathetic these days??

I did read it and thought it a weird one. At the end of the day, if the battery in the wheelchair explodes at high altitude and kills someone, the pilot can be up in front of a judge facing a few years in the slammer for negligence. If he said "What kind of battery is in the wheelchair" and the response was "dunno", if he said, "Ah, sure it'll probably be grand" and something wrong it's Do not pass go, do not collect $200, go directly to jail. Alternatively, a woman was inconvenienced by 2 hours.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Off you get.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

I think the issue here is the uncertainty.

Wanting certainty is not pathetic.

Living with disability throws up all manner of obstacles for people so I don't think it's pathetic at all for to require service providers to be consistent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

gizmo81 wrote: »

Living with disability throws up all manner of obstacles for people so I don't think it's pathetic at all for to require service providers to be consistent.

I hope she never tries to get on a bus when there's already 2 buggies on it. Dublin Bus will be in the news for "discrimination".

I hope she never tries to get on a bus when there's already 2 buggies on it. Dublin Bus will be in the news for "discrimination".

The space on Dublin bus is for people with disabilities not for buggies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,782 ✭✭✭KungPao

The passengers were said to be "wheely upset".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

The new busses have one of each space.

Also, if the disabled space is free, a buggy is allowed use it until needed by a wheelchair user.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,188 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Getting sick of reading stories with the word "Discrimination" in them :pac:
    It and compensation seem to be the latest trends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

First come , first served unfortunately seems to be the current policy ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/wheelchair-passenger-had-to-disembark-from-ryanair-flight-1.3180633

Has anyone else read this absolute nonsense. Pilot wasn't sure the spec of the chair was ok to take on board, so asked them to leave the flight.

Once they got the specifications and saw it was ok, they were sent on the next flight, a WHOPPING two hours later, after getting refreshment vouchers so they didn't starve during their "ordeal".

Why are people so pathetic these days??

Nothing to see here. Safety and following procedure is paramount in aviation.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Nothing to see here. Safety and following procedure is paramount in aviation.

100% my point, but the newspapers and online are running with the "discrimination" angle. I'd hate to see how she would react if she was actually discriminated against.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,354 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I must be reading the wrong article. I dont see any mention of discrimination in the irish time article

I must be reading the wrong article. I dont see any mention of discrimination in the irish time article

A few more quotes from her below. I'd read the story in a newspaper and threw up the first link to it I could find. I thought they'd all carry all of her quotes.

“It was awful,” Ms McGovern said. "I’ve never had an experience like it. It was discrimination and I’ll never fly with Ryanair again."

A DISABLED mother says she felt a “criminal would be treated better” after she was forced to leave her crying toddler behind on a Ryanair flight after the airline removed her electric wheelchair from a plane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

She has a case to sue, if the wheelchair was dangerous why was she allowed to fly 2hrs later with the same airline?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

RasTa wrote: »
    She has a case to sue, if the wheelchair was dangerous why was she allowed to fly 2hrs later with the same airline?
    Because within the 2 hours, they established that the chair and battery were safe to fly with.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭marialouise

because it wasn't known what danger was presented, the specifications weren't clear to the pilot in time for departure, and this was rectified in the time it took to get her on the next flight.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Because within the 2 hours, they established that the chair and battery were safe to fly with.

She had already flown over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Maybe because they'd got the required info about the chair by then? Just guessin'

It's the skipper's arse if he/she allows something on that shouldn't be there so I'm not sure why people would be anything but thankful for a pilot who prioritises safety over PR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Heard her on the WhineLine the other day too. If an able bodied person had that battery with them would they have been left on the plane? I’m guessing not, so where’s the "discrimination"?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

She had already flown over.
    The pilot is responsible for the aircraft, he flagged it.

Maybe the pilot on the way over wasn't responsible enough?

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    The pilot is responsible for the aircraft, he flagged it.

Maybe the pilot on the way over wasn't responsible enough?

And that's not her issue, that's an issue for the company.

Where does it say they confirmed the chair was safe?

People that require to bring medical equipment on-board have to fill out a form in advance

https://www.ryanair.com/ie/en/useful-info/help-centre/faq-overview/Special-assistance/What-is-a-medical-equipment-baggage-waiver-letter

The lady in question filled out the form.

Ms McGovern said that she’d filled out all the appropriate paperwork to get the wheelchair on the flight but she was given an ultimatum: stay on the plane without the chair or leave the aircraft.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/ill-never-fly-with-ryanair-again-mother-taken-off-flight-over-wheelchair-battery-concerns-36011966.html

“No one explained the situation and it might have helped a little bit to hear some kind of explanation and apology.”

Where does it say they confirmed the chair was safe?

It's a newspaper article - not a verbatim account of what happened.

You really think pilots-in-command of aircraft should be even a tiny bit relaxed about aviation safety?

Anyway, if people are no happy with them, they don't have to fly with them.

Jawgap wrote: »
    It's a newspaper article - not a verbatim account of what happened.

You really think pilots-in-command of aircraft should be even a tiny bit relaxed about aviation safety?

Anyway, if people are no happy with them, they don't have to fly with them.

Forgot about all the cases of mobile phones and wheelchairs blowing up airplanes.

Nothing to do with Ryanair bashing either. If they messed up then they have to pay.

Forgot about all the cases of mobile phones and wheelchairs blowing up airplanes.

Nothing to do with Ryanair bashing either. If they messed up then they have to pay.

No one is suggesting a battery, even if it shorts, can bring down a plane......but fire in the cabin or hold is, in aviation parlance, not good......and it's not like there haven't been recent problems with batteries ;)

Samsung Finally Reveals Why the Note 7 Kept Exploding

• Registered Users Posts: 10,097 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

You obviously don't read enough aviation accident reports, onboard batteries are one of my biggest concerns. In a case like this i would have to know the battery type and was it considered dangerous goods or not, as we are not permitted to carry dangerous goods, then if it fell into that category it would be offloaded. 
    Do you even know if Ryanair are certified to carry dangerous goods? Do you know if their Dublin staff are trained to handle dangerous goods or if their handling agent staff at outside stations are trained?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Weird that this hasn't come up before though. Was it a particularly unusual type of chair/battery or something? If it was something that they'd not come across before and didn't have safety regulations for, the pilot did the right thing. Mind you, given how various airlines (admittedly American ones recently, but Ryanair is not known for its public relations either) have treated passengers in the past, I can well imagine they may have been rude about it.

Sorry for maligning what sounds to be your profession, smurfjed, but honestly, any time an airline has been in the news recently, it seems to be due to being dickish to someone.

Advertisement