Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone bought their favourite food and have it suddenly taste like crap?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

They also changed the filling, completely different texture and the six packs now only contain five.

Seriously we are talking about the sort of people who don't understand that you can't replace Dairy Milk chocolate and hope no one gets upset.

One of my favourite childhood treats. Ruined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Vela

TREK PEANUT POWER BARS! They changed the recipe or something a year ago because every other bar I got tasted MANKY. So I stopped getting them. But I got one on the off-chance a few weeks ago and they'd reverted back to that old yummy goodness. Had a few since with just one let-down, so here's hoping it stays that way!

Nom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Kinder Bueno arent as nice.

Toffee Crisp gone to the dogs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭GritBiscuit

Noveight wrote: »
    I assume they've gone and fúcked Lucozade Orange too? Love that drink, has been a while since I've purchased though.

Yep. I got some for going into hospital a couple of months ago full of childhood nostalgia over my favourite get well soon drink - I took one swig and binned it. Tasted like over-diluted cheap OJ added to a splash of soda water with an aftertaste of old trainers....and to add insult to injury it almost instantaneously left my teeth feeling like they were coated in a thick film of plaque and my tongue furry. Yeck. Dewey eyed walk down memory lane, it wasn't. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Club milks used to be divine when they were in the silver foil, and now they taste like fcuking sh!t.
    Lucozade now tastes like 7up.
    Those powdery teeth sweets used to be gorgeous but now it's like chewing on rubber.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

anna080 wrote: »
    Club milks used to be divine when they were in the silver foil, and now they taste like fcuking sh!t.
    Many years ago I found a shop where you could buy factory seconds, broken club milks by the pound for half nothing , no wrappers, just a bag full of deliciousness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Those powdery teeth sweets used to be gorgeous but now it's like chewing on rubber.

You can still get the old chalky ones in decent sweet shops :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭jackboy

Everything from Cadburys is now rotten. Chocolate has different consistency and is soft and too sweet. I have heard that they are replacing cocoa with alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

I think we might be confusing maturing tastes with cibusnostalgique.
    No, We're not but some people might be confusing speaking in plain english with being pretentious.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Hopefully the Brits drop all the EU Food additive regulations after Brexit so we can go up north and stock up on the old proper tasting toxic stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,602 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

The new thing is to discontinue every food product I like, even the new ones that have only been on the market for five minutes. What doesn't get discontinued gets watered down or is padded out with..I don't know what...cornish pasties are more cubes of potatoes than anything else (not that I've tried any since turning vegetarian) and Barry's tea now seems to be composed mainly of floor sweepings.

I used to like Dolmio stir-in pasta sauce when I was a child but I noticed when they took Anna, Luigi and Guiseppe off the label it really went downhill.

Good call on the old stir in sauces.

They even LOOK more gloopy now. They're dead cheap now too, I'd be much happier to pay more for the tasty ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Yorkies are expensive but you got a full bar every time.

They're definitely shorter than they used to be but the most noticeable difference is the thickness. They used to be so thick that you could potentially break your teeth if you tried to bite off a square. Now they're about as thick as a Dairy Milk. Their whole selling point was how thick they were but now they're absolutely tiny.

yorkie1.png

http://metro.co.uk/2015/10/15/are-they-shrinking-our-favourite-chocolate-bars-an-investigation-5441762/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Great phrase - starts off like an elegant Lady in a chocolate ad and ends sounding like a grumpy aul fart :D

Also seconding that crispy pancakes are foul these days - I used to love getting them when I was a kid because we never ever ever had them at home so getting one in someone else's house was a real treat. Got a pack a few years ago as a bit of a nostalgia trip and... jeeesus they're nasty - the ham & cheese filling looks like phlegm and tastes even worse.

Also: anyone else get frothing mad when they hear manufacturers defend the incredible shrinking product by claiming they are only responding to public desire for healthier treats? DROP THE PRICE THEN YOU CHEAP THIEVING B*LLOCKS!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

I don't drink fizzies very often but I had a 7 Up last week and it tasted nothing like I remembered it. I wasn't the 7 Up 0 or anything, the regular one, but it had a real synthetic flavour. Horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Bacon just doesn't seem as good as it once did, same with John West tinned tuna both bland and boring now.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

John West tinned tuna both bland and boring now.
    It's because they changed the recipe and dropped one an ingredient.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/3e/9d/94/3e9d940c983da9e6b5e4a9a8ad61a807.jpg

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    I don't drink fizzies very often but I had a 7 Up last week and it tasted nothing like I remembered it. I wasn't the 7 Up 0 or anything, the regular one, but it had a real synthetic flavour. Horrible.

I noticed this myself. It's just not satisfying anymore. Even coke is a not as nice as it used to be. I find Pepsi is still nice and satisfying though.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Funnyonion79

Spice burgers! What happened? There was the whole big drama about the company going out of business and nobody would be able to make them anymore because there was a special secret recipe. Then the company was saved and so was the secret recipe but the spice burgers taste like muck now! No spice flavour, just bland and synthetic :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Oops69 wrote: »
    No, We're not but some people might be confusing speaking in plain english with being pretentious.

I made that word up. Is that pretentious? I'm not sure if there's a word for food nostalgia, the Germans probably have one.

Lebensmittelnostalgie?

Advertisement