Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone bought their favourite food and have it suddenly taste like crap?

Options
  • 09-08-2017 10:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭

Yesterday, I bough some salt and vinegar Pringles from Spar for €2.50. I thought I'd be enjoying a good snack but... :(.

Well to be fair, at least I didn't find a rat in my crisps like some English guy did, but these crisps tasted completely stale. I thought it might have had to do with the Red Bull dulling my taste but even after coming back and trying them for two hours, they tasted like ****.

Today I bought some from Supervalu and compared with the ones in Spar. It wasn't just my imagination, they really were stale. I don't think this is the first time it's happened to me (and yes, it was the same flavor)

Anyone experienced this with Pringles or their other favorite foods?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭messy tessy

Moros. I remember them being MUCH nicer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

No. Never happened to me.

You just got a stale pack. You should have brought them back to the shop.

BBD or UBD were ok I assume.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

Snax were the worst. From crisp classic to little miserable cardboard wafers.

Food scientists are the enemy of humanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,602 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Pringles ain't what they used to be. They really ain't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Snax were the worst. From crisp classic to little miserable cardboard wafers.

Food scientists are the enemy of humanity.

There's a weird chemical element to them now too.

• Advertisement

Moros. I remember them being MUCH nicer.

Do they still make Moros? Those Boost bars are the single edible thing Cadbury's produce these days.

Except Double Deckers, which have changed but are still tremendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Academic

jeanjolie wrote: »
    Yesterday, I bough some salt and vinegar Pringles from Spar for €2.50. I thought I'd be enjoying a good snack but... :(.

Well to be fair, at least I didn't find a rat in my crisps like some English guy did, but these crisps tasted completely stale. I thought it might have had to do with the Red Bull dulling my taste but even after coming back and trying them for two hours, they tasted like ****.

Today I bought some from Supervalu and compared with the ones in Spar. It wasn't just my imagination, they really were stale. I don't think this is the first time it's happened to me (and yes, it was the same flavor)

Anyone experienced this with Pringles or their other favorite foods?

So you're asking if anyone has ever purchased something that turned out to be stale? Yes, many people have, but with proper counseling they've gone on to live outwardly normal lives, though secretly they will bear the scars for the rest of their lives.

Stay strong, my friend. We are here for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Estrellita

Nothing tastes like it used to imo. Everything has been cheapened down, watered down, made smaller you name it. Glass bottles of milk years ago with the lovely creamy top, are now litres of watery píss. 50% extra anything they are just giving you back what they took out and are charging you more for.

I used to be gumming for a lovely cup of Barry's tea, well it's nothing but piddle now. Not bad enough to turn me into a Lyons woman or anything, let's not get crazy here. But I'm not one but impressed. A'tall a'tall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jooksavage

As I child I was noshing into a bag of Snax and almost broke my teeth on a piece of plastic, completely coated in dust and masquerading as a crisp. Ever since I can't go near then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

What are those crispy pancakes called, they were savoury, forget the name. I loved them as a kid, had one recently and they were just awful, made me retch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

What happened to the crunchy bits on the outside of a Brunch.wouldn't bother buying them now and they used to be my favourite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

Colser wrote: »
    What happened to the crunchy bits on the outside of a Brunch.wouldn't bother buying them now and they used to be my favourite.

Yip, another classic ruined. No real milk at all in HB ice cream these days.

Monster Munch is another one. Used to be a spicy bag of pure happiness, especially licking the dust from the inside of the bag. Now these pale puffy things that taste of nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I used to have breakfast in McDonalds years ago and happened upon a McD the other morning.
    Went in and ordered what I remember ordering back then..

It was disgusting :(

biko wrote: »
    I used to have breakfast in McDonalds years ago and happened upon a McD the other morning.
    Went in and ordered what I remember ordering back then..

It was disgusting :(

That's it!

I was racking my brain thinking I had a big one of these experiences lately.

That was it. It's just...different. Just simply not as nice.

And it pisses me off, because I used to love them.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Academic

I’m old enough that I first tried Pringles when they first came out. All that was available was the single potato-like flavour at that point.

I didn’t understand the attraction, to be honest. I very much preferred the taste of ordinary crisps. Those of you who did prefer Pringles, can you say why? Was it the reduced level of unhealthy things like fat and salt?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,298 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Jersey cream biscuits :(

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭LushiousLips

What are those crispy pancakes called, they were savoury, forget the name. I loved them as a kid, had one recently and they were just awful, made me retch.

I think they're actually called crispy pancakes lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Monster Munch used to be unreal. Boring now, not nearly as spicy.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,400 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Whenever I see "New And Improved Recipe" I tend to roll my eyes because although it may be a new recipe, it sure as hell ain't improved.

I loathe seeing those words on the packaging of anything that I use to like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Pringles can be hit and miss. Original (ready salted) are the only ones i've never noticed any change in flavour...mostly cos i rarely eat them. All others can be a lottery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

"Big Al's" products have changed for the worse in recent years.
    They used to be really nice, especially the Chicken Tenders.
    Now it's like chewing on a mouthful of rubbery buttock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

Noveight wrote: »
    Monster Munch used to be unreal. Boring now, not nearly as spicy.

Used to love them years ago when there would be really orangey spicy ones in them! :)

Lucozade :(

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭cumulonimbus

Supernoodles. I loved these in my student days.
    Ever since they "improved" them, they are not so super.
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Hellman's used to be the bollox. Now it's rank.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Alanhooly

Lucozade tastes completely different now, much less sugar in it apparently.

I remember when I was younger being devastated that 'hot lips' no longer tasted the same

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I think we might be confusing maturing tastes with cibusnostalgique.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Yellow Man is crap these days.

Anyone else like the old yellow man?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 DeiseDoll

A bit off topic but crisp related - my favourite crisp as a child was Sam Spudz Smokey Bacon. I haven't seen them for years but I'd love to try them again for pure nostalgia purposes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭KingJamsie

Lucozade :(

The new recipe, after taste of ass

Advertisement