Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone bought their favourite food and have it suddenly taste like crap?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Faith+1 wrote: »
    TK Red Lemonade for me. They took the sunset yellow sweetener out and since then it tastes like sh*te.
    Phenylalanine strikes again!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Colser wrote: »
    Now maybe it's my aging taste buds but fruit doesn't taste as good either nowadays in my elderly opinion.ðŸ˜In particular pears..I remember you could buy them individually wrapped and they were big,soft and juicy but I find them tasteless now and usually like rocks .

Actually, on reflection, you are correct.

They've ****ed up real food too. Which is the point where I enter the war.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭mimimcmc

I've only read the first page of this thread and now I have to stop myself cuz all I want is a Moro :(

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭alberto67

I go through phases where I really love a particular cheese and then all of a sudden, I can't stand the taste anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Skips have definitely had their taste reduced.

I remember that each one used to have loads of flavour and it would take you a while to get through a bag. Nowadays you need 4/5 to get the same 'punch'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

Maybe it's just me, but has anyone on here noticed that Bellini caviar these days tastes like any other mediocre fish eggs?, and the same applies to Moet et Chandon Vintage, may as well just drink the cheap €35 blended stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

^^ ...Aongus?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

What happened to the crunchy bits on the outside of a Brunch.wouldn't bother buying them now and they used to be my favourite.

This is brilliant. Might have been posted, didn't read the whole thread

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Well, Brunches are well and truly ruined now

Nail in the coffin there

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

PandaPoo wrote: »
    This is brilliant. Might have been posted, didn't read the whole thread

Skitting hereðŸ˜That's me finished with them now anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

All cadburys chocolate except Boosts and Starbars (nothing else immediately springs to mind) tastes much worse than 10 years ago, and certainly compared to the chocolate in the 90s.

Cheerios are way less sweet than they used to be = bad.

A small one too, but the cream crackers which tesco used to sell for 26 cent were delicious about a year ago, tasted exactly like Jacobs. Now they taste terrible in comparison - Jacobs must have realised they were losing money!

100% with you on the crackers.
    We bought the Tesco ones all the time and they tasted exactly like Jacobs.
    Then they changed the recipe and now they're like cardboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭mojesius

Another vote for Cadburys chocolate. I loved the humble 28p. 8 square foil-wrapped dairy milk when I was younger. (I was partial to a golden crisp now and again too)..Now it tastes like fake ****e. Those giant 'bubbly / oreo / filled with mank' cadbury bars are ****e and are always on sale for a euro in my shop because nobody buys them. They used to sell larger versions of the foil wrapped nice dairy milk range (18 squares?), but the squares were smaller and sooooo tasty!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

mojesius wrote: »
    Another vote for Cadburys chocolate. I loved the humble 28p. 8 square foil-wrapped dairy milk when I was younger. (I was partial to a golden crisp now and again too)..Now it tastes like fake ****e. Those giant 'bubbly / oreo / filled with mank' cadbury bars are ****e and are always on sale for a euro in my shop because nobody buys them. They used to sell larger versions of the foil wrapped nice dairy milk range (18 squares?), but the squares were smaller and sooooo tasty!!

This just reminded me of the smaller bar that was wrapped in foil (not squared)..that was delicious also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

The only cadburys bar that still tastes like it used to is the cadburys crunchie one. I tried the oreo one again last night cos it was only a euro, its ****ing tasteless, blandly sweet ****ing awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

in the UK when Monster Munch changed from Smiths to Walkers. Sad day.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Or when alien spacers pickled onion changed to stick to your teeth monster munch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I used to like Superquinn sausages but they have gone to ****.

FxB's now are far superior.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

All Pringle flavours are different to what they were years ago when they first came out. The sour cream and onion taste really fake and completely unnatural. I used to like gebthe orawn flavour but they too taste rotten now.

mojesius wrote: »

Do you remember a dairy milk double-chocolate bar in 2007/8, it was one of the best ever I thought.

http://www.chocolatereview.co.uk/choc200/bar_dairymilkdoublechoc_front_0407.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Yorkie bars used to be massive and were made especially for male truck drivers. Now they're tiny and apparently women can eat them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

sugarman wrote: »
    Then theres Cadburys. Absolutely bastardized by those American twats at Kraft or whatever they're calling themselves now. Using less cocoa than ever before and having got rid of their fresh milk and replacing it with powdered concentrate. Ontop of adding corn syrup and a host of other sweeteners to try keep some taste. Muck.
    It's as bad as Nestle replacing Rowntree Mackintosh chocolate with insipid watered down substitute.

The UK Cadburys was always a poor cousin of the stuff made here , because of we have real milk. Once production went offshore it was downhill.
    Yorkie bars used to be massive and were made especially for male truck drivers. Now they're tiny and apparently women can eat them.
    Cadbury bars at the same time shrank to nothingness to stay a low price. Yorkies are expensive but you got a full bar every time.

At this stage Aldi Dairyfine or the better Lidl bars makes an acceptable substitute compared to the premium price charged for no-longer premium chocolate brands.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Steve F wrote: »
    This problem of crap tasting food is also compounded by the fact that as we age we lose taste buds so we cant taste as well as we did when we were say,12
    How depressing
    It's easy to get stuff that doesn't change to recalibrate your taste buds.

Sugar is still sucrose. Salt still tastes like sodium chloride. Malt vinegar is still dilute acetic acid. Brambly cooking apples still taste the same. Mushrooms fried in butter still taste the same.

The big problem is that if your product isn't a lot better than the competition then you won't keep market share if you charge a lot more.

It's just people with no long term connection to the Brand making a short term gain by selling out the brand. Happens everywhere , at this stage you can count the genuine TV brands on one hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Now maybe it's my aging taste buds but fruit doesn't taste as good either nowadays in my elderly opinion.ðŸ˜In particular pears..I remember you could buy them individually wrapped and they were big,soft and juicy but I find them tasteless now and usually like rocks .

There is nothing like a nice pear.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,160 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Last time I had a cream egg it didn't taste as nice as I remembered. Then read that had changed the chocolate and made them smaller :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

All Pringle flavours are different to what they were years ago when they first came out. The sour cream and onion taste really fake and completely unnatural. I used to like gebthe orawn flavour but they too taste rotten now.

I remember back in the 90's when Pringles came out, the Sour Cream and Onion were amazing.
    They had this kind of whitish powder on each crisp and some green flecks.
    They were unreal.

Now they still taste OK to me but nothing like they were back then. Also the texture is a lot thinner.
    On a side note, why did they get rid of the Pizzalicious flavour and Hot & Spicy?!

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Shadow1983

Knorr chicken Cup a Soups, used to love them but they're rank now.

Last time I had a cream egg it didn't taste as nice as I remembered. Then read that had changed the chocolate and made them smaller :(
    They also changed the filling, completely different texture and the six packs now only contain five.

Seriously we are talking about the sort of people who don't understand that you can't replace Dairy Milk chocolate and hope no one gets upset.

The odd thing is that Goodwill is actually classified as an asset on the balance sheet.

Thing is , if you dilute a brand enough then it's worth less than nothing as I'm going to assume I'm getting nothing more than a generic despite being overcharged.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Thing is , if you dilute a brand enough then it's worth less than nothing as I'm going to assume I'm getting nothing more than a generic despite being overcharged.

I've actually recently ditched Cadbury's Whole Nut, which used to be one of my favourite treats, in favour of Aldi's version which is much nicer and a fraction of the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

DeiseDoll wrote: »
    A bit off topic but crisp related - my favourite crisp as a child was Sam Spudz Smokey Bacon. I haven't seen them for years but I'd love to try them again for pure nostalgia purposes.

Also loved these, i dont think they exist anymore, Hunky Dorey did a smokey bacon flavour for a while and they were lovely, havent see them in a few years tho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭tommythecat

McDonnells super noodles are now just strips of rubber that the flavouring doesn't even stick too. Not exactly gourmet food but they were reasonably tasty but now are just rank.

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

Advertisement