Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

non existent ethnic diversity in Irish media

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,258 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Isn't it strange after all these years, that there aren't any TV/Radio presenters, weather presenters, talking heads etc on the Irish media from other ethnic backgrounds Fair city only has one token black woman afaik.

No.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

It was raised before in this thread that the countries biggest tv show Fair City is basically a white wash.

Lots of Americans, two Chilean brothers, one of which is gay, a couple of lesbians and an African nurse. There was even a black family on it a while back. Also homeless characters. Hardly a whitewash - it's quite diverse. When was the last time you watched it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Siobhan Ryan was looking well tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Robsweezie wrote: »
    teachers too...never had a black/foreign teacher or saw one in any school i was at.

Denmark St Tech in the early 1970's had an excellent art teacher in Mr Ayoubi.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Ireland is still overwhelmingly white though!

Just like the Congo is overwhelmingly black.

Whats the problem?

The problem is that with that attitude there is no opportunity for virtue signalling and special interest groups pushing agendas of collective guilt. Sociology majors need work too.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

We had a cross-dressing,homosexual teacher with a hump on his back.

Well he wasn't and didnt really but thats what we shouted at him anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

We'll have to wait until one of Ryan Tubridy's kids has a mixed-race child, and then maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

There were attempts at this - FM104 had Polish shows, there was a Polish language newspaper for a while and so on. Pervasive access to satellite TV from Poland and on the internet (increasingly so as broadband improved) meant they all flopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

There are several weather forecast presenters on RTE radio from Eastern Europe.

Name them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Name them.

Harm Luijkx is Dutch but his accent is quite hard to make out and I have to agree with this: http://www.thejournal.ie/met-eireann-forecasters-2331569-Sep2015/ that having somebody with a foreign accent giving out important information is plain daft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Harm Luijkx is Dutch but his accent is quite hard to make out and I have to agree with this: http://www.thejournal.ie/met-eireann-forecasters-2331569-Sep2015/ that having somebody with a foreign accent giving out important information is plain daft.

Harm is also Joanna Donnelly's husband.Still waiting for Srameen to post the names of all those East European weather presenters on RTE radio:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The question I’d ask is whether or not the ‘ethnic diversity’ or Irish television is representative of the diversity in the country and I’d suggest it is.

According to the census, white people make up 94.3% of the population. Then it’s Asian: 1.9%, Black: 1.4%, Other: 0.9%, Irish Travellers 0.7%, Not Stated: 1.6%

Advertisement