Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

non existent ethnic diversity in Irish media

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Ireland is still overwhelmingly white though!

Just like the Congo is overwhelmingly black.

Whats the problem?

No problem whatsoever. Just an observation on my part.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭seenitall

Probably talking sihte here and mixing it up with the BBC (I don't watch much TV these days, let alone listening to the radio), but... Kaneswaren sisters, Baz what's his name, Amanda Byram..?

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭PistolsAtDawn

JupiterKid wrote: »

I always keep an eye open for racial diversity too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

JupiterKid wrote: »

I always keep an eye open for racial diversity too
    Rachel Diversity isnt she the one who does countdown?
    Get a grip, the OP said it all when the mentioned that Fair city has a "token" black person.  Thats all they would be, the BBC has gone crazy now and its a surprise if a white male gets a gig there now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,782 ✭✭✭KungPao

Father Ted had a black priest from Donegal, and a Cuban. What more do you want?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

No more surprising than the lack of ethnic diversity among bus-drivers outside of Dublin. It's all about supply and demand, and the locals keeping a tight grip on the best jobs.

What a crock of sh!

First and foremost, 99% of the rest of the country has to make do with a token bus service provided by Bus Eireann and you'll find that the vast majority of those drivers (which aren't very many in the grand scheme of things) were in those jobs long before most of the non nationals arrived here.

Secondly, private bus companies have been operating in those areas which aren't serviced by BE and have had their own drivers, again for many years.

And lastly, your remark about locals keeping the best jobs, why wouldn't they??? They're local people living in the area for years, why shouldn't they get local jobs? No one is going to give a job to an unqualified person, so if a local person has the necessary qualifications then they are quite entitled to the job or in your silly little world should jobs be given to non nationals just to balance the books regardless of what local talent is available?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Shame! Shame!

Ireland can never be truly enlightened until a woman looking like Wesley Snipes is presenting the Six one news

• Registered Users Posts: 17,873 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

give it a few years and you might be able to just choose the skin and features for your newsreader and your tv software does the rest?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

No more surprising than the lack of ethnic diversity among bus-drivers outside of Dublin. It's all about supply and demand, and the locals keeping a tight grip on the best jobs.
    Surprisingly enough, this is basically it. Most of the jobs in RTE go to people who are connected to small gene pool based in South County Dublin, whether that's because they're friends of someone or related to someone.

It's well known that RTE is basically a closed shop for Irish talent, hence why the best generally steer clear of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Call us again OP if you can actually cite a case where two equally-qualified people apply for a media role and one of them gets knocked back solely on the basis of their ethnicity.
    Other than that we really don't have a problem here.

I'm so long in the tooth now that I can actually remember when the Left used be about better pay and conditions for workers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Shame! Shame!

Ireland can never be truly enlightened until a woman looking like Wesley Snipes is presenting the Six one news

Grace Jones?

1284680742_5335-1.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

seenitall wrote: »
    Probably talking sihte here and mixing it up with the BBC (I don't watch much TV these days, let alone listening to the radio), but... Kaneswaren sisters, Baz what's his name, Amanda Byram..?

Amanda Byram? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

Omackeral wrote: »
    We had Jonathan Rachel Clynch on RTE radio. He/she is gender fluid. That's more diverse than anything I can think of, unless you want her/him to show up top work in a wheel chair with an eyepatch on. Is that what you want OP, is it?

Whatever happened to this lad/lass? No sign of him/her since that gender fluid reveal more than two years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,195 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.
    There are Polish language TV stations and programmes in Poland, which can be accessed over the internet I believe. 
    If Irish prgrammes were not produced in Ireland, they would not be produced at all I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,911 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Theres an australian bird who does the weekend news reports on Nova...... accent is super annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 18,387 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The absence is certainly noticeable in the news media. The UK have people like Faisal Islam and Krishnan Guru-Murthy in prominent news roles.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Strazdas wrote: »
    The absence is certainly noticeable in the news media. The UK have people like Faisal Islam and Krishnan Guru-Murthy in prominent news roles.

TBF they have had over a half century of inward immigration instead of 15/20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

In the UK I think it's gone too far, nearly every interview is with Mr Khan Khalidi Khan Jihad

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Billy86 wrote: »
    I went to primary school in the 90s and the two black kids in my class were the only two in the school...
    ... except for the other two?
    Billy86 wrote: »
    ...bar both of their younger brothers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Strazdas wrote: »

Ireland is something like 87% Irish and 97% Irish/European.

Having public figures from other nationalities just for the sake of it doesnt make sense.

So while yes we do have a non Irish population, having multiple non irish people in public figures isnt representative of the population.

However in tv shows its different. It was raised before in this thread that the countries biggest tv show Fair City is basically a white wash. Dublin has a very high population of Non White Irish in comparison to the rest of the country so this is a false representation of the Dublin demographic but an accurate representation of the Irish demographic.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

OP - should we have quotas? When ethnicity is taken care of you can move on to quotas for LGBT people..:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,911 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Del.Monte wrote: »
    OP - should we have quotas? When ethnicity is taken care of you can move on to quotas for LGBT people..:rolleyes:

Laugh all you will but there's a very real campaign to introduce ethnicity quotas for elections.......

• Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

VinLieger wrote: »
    Laugh all you will but there's a very real campaign to introduce ethnicity quotas for elections.......

What campaign?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Quotas are absolute poppycock/poppyfanny, be they racial or gender based. Best man or woman for the job.

The end.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I dont really care to be honest, do you really want to force people to hire people of different ethnicities just to have 'diverstiy'. Irish people Irish TV in Ireland :O

Exactly. This is RTE, not the BBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

The clue is in the name really: the Irish government uses public funds to promote the Irish language. There wouldn't be decent Irish speaking broadcasts if it was only relying on private funding.

Polish is the same as in there is not a large enough market to justify private investment for broadcasts in that language specific to Ireland. But the difference is that it is not an "endangered" language a state wants to keep alive so there is no public funding either. I suspect Poland does have public and private funded broadcasts targeted at Polish speakers abroad though. And i am not familiar with the situation but the market is probably large enough to support a small privatly funded Ireland based paper published in Polish (there is a Chinese one for sure).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

VinLieger wrote: »

I'm half tempted to start a campaign for height or weight quotas, just to see if it anyone takes it seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

I'm half tempted to start a campaign for height or weight quotas, just to see if it anyone takes it seriously.

As a person wearing glasses I also think our group is currently under-represented in governement (especially in the top leadership). Quotas would probably help rebalance the situation ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,312 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Bob24 wrote: »
    As a person wearing glasses I also think our group is currently under-represented in governement (especially in the top leadership). Quotas would probably help rebalance the situation ;-)

Where do you stand on contact lens wearers? Brothers in the struggle or the ocular equivalent of the People's Judean Front?

Advertisement