Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

non existent ethnic diversity in Irish media

Options
  • 09-08-2017 6:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

Isn't it strange after all these years, that there aren't any TV/Radio presenters, weather presenters, talking heads etc on the Irish media from other ethnic backgrounds Fair city only has one token black woman afaik.

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

We have dathai o se, isnt that diverse enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

We had Jonathan Rachel Clynch on RTE radio. He/she is gender fluid. That's more diverse than anything I can think of, unless you want her/him to show up top work in a wheel chair with an eyepatch on. Is that what you want OP, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Ray shah?
    Ray D'Arcy is from another planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Martin Collins gets trotted out as a talking head every time attention needs to be deflected away from travellers' actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,570 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

We have dathai o se, isnt that diverse enough?

He's barely human.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,570 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

You have that perpetually-offended Dil person on Newstalk, along with a cast of equally offended nodding dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,873 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

certainly a shortage of hot South American weather girls

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 25,842 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

No more surprising than the lack of ethnic diversity among bus-drivers outside of Dublin. It's all about supply and demand, and the locals keeping a tight grip on the best jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

No more surprising than the lack of ethnic diversity among bus-drivers outside of Dublin

Do culchies not count as an ethnic group? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

It's really terrible sitting watching the walking dead and they have no good looking Zombies cast , like there all bleeding ugly ,
    Totally discrimination against beautiful people

• Advertisement

I dont really care to be honest, do you really want to force people to hire people of different ethnicities just to have 'diverstiy'. Irish people Irish TV in Ireland :O

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Isn't it strange after all these years, that there aren't any TV/Radio presenters, weather presenters, talking heads etc on the Irish media from other ethnic backgrounds Fair city only has one token black woman afaik.

Considering 96% of this country is white, what the hell do you expect ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Gatling wrote: »
    It's really terrible sitting watching the walking dead and they have no good looking Zombies cast , like there all bleeding ugly ,
    Totally discrimination against beautiful people

Maybe they should go for a casting cruise around Abbey Street on Tuesday afternoons :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,312 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

There was Kevin Sharkey for a while. Where is he now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

There are several weather forecast presenters on RTE radio from Eastern Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I dont really care to be honest, do you really want to force people to hire people of different ethnicities just to have 'diverstiy'. Irish people Irish TV in Ireland :O

I didnt know only Irish people watch RTE.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

There are several weather forecast presenters on RTE radio from Eastern Europe.

Are they hot though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Are they hot though?

Only in good weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭LadyMacBeth_

Are they hot though?

Nah, that's why they are on the radio :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

We're a few years off still I reckon. I went to primary school in the 90s and the two black kids in my class were the only two in the school, bar both of their younger brothers. It's still catches me off guard on occasion even though it's common now, to see black, brown, Asian etc looking kids walking out of school with full Dublin accents. Give it a decade or so, for all the criticisms some may have of Ireland we're definitely not a nation who would have issue to someone who looked different on our TVs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Painting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭GerryDerpy

Omackeral wrote: »
    We had Jonathan Rachel Clynch on RTE radio. He/she is gender fluid. That's more diverse than anything I can think of, unless you want her/him to show up top work in a wheel chair with an eyepatch on. Is that what you want OP, is it?

Just when you thought the world was crazy enough...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

If you look at the beloved institution that is The Angelus, that has loads of ethnic diversity. I know that's not like being a presenter, but it's faces on the screen....
    He's been an artist for years now. He used to present Megamix in the 80's. (What? A black presenter on Irish television is the backward 1980s?)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

teachers too...never had a black/foreign teacher or saw one in any school i was at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Nepotism runs RTE and RTE run Irish media.*
    When it's just one big circle-jerk it's hardly a surprise that the whole situation lacks diversity.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,511 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Seen an Oriental Gardai at the Beatyard festival in Dublin last weekend.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

There was also a mixed race Garda on Garda Patrol back in the day. A Vietnamese lady on Anything goes (or the show that replaced it, not sure). RTE in the 80's was more ethnicly diverse than it is now.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Ireland has only begun to become ethnically/racially diverse in the past 20 years and this will take time to filter through to the media, politics and other professions. It will happen, given time.

In the UK the first immigrants from the former colonies arrived in significant numbers in the 1950s. It took until the late 1970s/early 1980s for the first non-white TV presenters to appear.

And despite what some on boards would have us imagine, Ireland is still overwhelmingly white.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

There's a really annoying and female version of Ray D'Arcy on Newstalk. Think she is Indian or something. Does that count?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭PistolsAtDawn

JupiterKid wrote: »
    And despite what some on boards would have us imagine, Ireland is still overwhelmingly white.

Ireland is still overwhelmingly white though!

Just like the Congo is overwhelmingly black.

Whats the problem?

Advertisement