Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broodmother wants more children

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

They are in a poverty trap whether they chose it or now. They don't have the means (or access to) or inclination to escape. We all have to pay tax, not one likes giving the revenue commissioners a slice of their wages.

I'm not surprised they chose it over working a minimum wage job, with few additional perks. The system is flawed. To fix it, you have to provide an alternative that doesn't dehumanise people.

FYP

I'm not averse to paying my way, but this woman is taking the proverbial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Spider Web

Been dipping in and out of this thread - it strikes me the way the "dole basher" allegation has been made. Surely dole bashing is having a go at people who need social welfare and have been plunged into unfortunate circumstances or just need a hand. This is something I wholeheartedly support - it's what any decent society should have. It is odious to attack those who have fallen on hard times and need a hand, and I know some do it. But it's a different matter to what is being discussed here.

Some people just take advantage and really screw the system - resulting in taking funds off those who really need it. That applies to white collar criminals but also to people who believe they are entitled to nearly everything for free. Same personality.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Syphonax

Spider Web wrote: »
    Been dipping in and out of this thread - it strikes me the way the "dole basher" allegation has been made. Surely dole bashing is having a go at people who need social welfare and have been plunged into unfortunate circumstances or just need a hand. This is something I wholeheartedly support - it's what any decent society should have. It is odious to attack those who have fallen on hard times and need a hand, and I know some do it. But it's a different matter to what is being discussed here.

Some people just take advantage and really screw the system - resulting in taking funds off those who really need it. That applies to white collar criminals but also to people who believe they are entitled to nearly everything for free. Same personality.

Why on earth would dole bashing be aimed at legitimate people who need a handout? Dole bashing surely is where someone sees themselves as entitled to the dole and pretty much ensures that their circumstances ensures that they are entitled, which is what this woman is doing. Im taking a leap of fait but id say she never worked a da in her life and has achieved a comfortable lifestlye for herself (and not e children) because of the system we have in place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Spider Web

Syphonax wrote: »
    Why on earth would dole bashing be aimed at legitimate people who need a handout? Dole bashing surely is where someone sees themselves as entitled to the dole and pretty much ensures that their circumstances ensures that they are entitled, which is what this woman is doing. Im taking a leap of fait but id say she never worked a da in her life and has achieved a comfortable lifestlye for herself (and not e children) because of the system we have in place.
    Yeah i can see how I come across unclear. Usually "dole basher" is a derogatory term in relation to people who have a go at everyone on the dole, not thinking it through that many have lost their job and are trying to find another. Or they assume for example that all single mothers just got pregnant to sponge off the state.

However on this thread, people who have a perfectly valid reason to object to this couple's absolute pee-taking are being called dole bashers, as if they're having a go at vulnerable people who deserve support.

Advertisement