Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broodmother wants more children

Options
  • 09-08-2017 4:44am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 328 ✭✭

''A couple whose sole income from welfare payments totals €48,000 have taken a court case over getting pushed off the waiting list for a council house after having their eighth child.

Mother Winnifred Ward told Extra.ie the local council is trying to ‘stop the couple’ having children, and branded the treatment ‘shocking’.

The mother of eight said. ‘I’d like a few more (children) – yeah. Of course I would, I’d like a good few more running around.’

In total, the couple have a weekly income of €923.50, or just over €48,000 a year. Mr Fogarty said it would be argued that the Social Housing Assessment Regulations, which set the threshold, amounted to an unfair and unconstitutional attack on the family unit.''

So this is where 40% of my wage go to, to support breeders on social welfare. I am working my ass off 60 hours per week and this is where all my finances are going. I basically have nothing left at the end of the week due to massive taxation.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

No, it doesn't, you're not paying 40% of your wages in tax for starters, only a portion of that goes to the DSP, and the pension is the largest expenditure by the DSP, not the dole.

Go tell the HSE to stop keeping people alive so long, the health service and OAP's are the ones feasting on your tax.

Honestly, I wish dole bashing threads were just banned on here. They're ridiculously overdone, if you've read one you've read them all, nothing new will ever come out of them.

You don't get any say in where your taxes go. Never have, never will. Get over it. It's not your money once they take it. In fact it is never your money, you just get to rent it for a while after it's printed. If you think people who don't work have it so much better, go and do that then.

The government wastes huge amounts of money in a myriad of ways and will continue to do so as long as we have FF/FG establishment gravy train incompetents in office. We should be doing something to get rid of them if we are unhappy with the status quo.

This woman's fanny can only stretch so far, she's hardly going to sink the country with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 328 ✭✭Synthol

No, it doesn't, you're not paying 40% of your wages in tax for starters, only a portion of that goes to the DSP, and the pension is the largest expenditure by the DSP, not the dole.

Go tell the HSE to stop keeping people alive so long, the health service and OAP's are the ones feasting on your tax.

Honestly, I wish dole bashing threads were just banned on here. They're ridiculously overdone, if you've read one you've read them all, nothing new will ever come out of them.

You don't get any say in where your taxes go. Never have, never will. Get over it. It's not your money once they take it. In fact it is never your money, you just get to rent it for a while after it's printed. If you think people who don't work have it so much better, go and do that then.

The government wastes huge amounts of money in a myriad of ways and will continue to do so as long as we have FF/FG establishment gravy train incompetents in office. We should be doing something to get rid of them if we are unhappy with the status quo.

This woman's fanny can only stretch so far, she's hardly going to sink the country with it.

I agree with you completely.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Travellers im guessing?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Much of this is true but it is interesting that in many cases those who rely on the state are more likely to reproduce than those that work. It's Darwinism in reverse. It's a weird and unspoken social contract involving the transfer of genetic success from the worker drones (sterile) to the Queens. We should probably be grateful for people like this if only because they buck the trend of falling birth rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,394 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Cracker of a post.

Sick of seeing these kind of threads. Same old bullsh*t over and over again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,489 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Synthol wrote: »
    The mother of eight said. ‘I’d like a few more (children) – yeah. Of course I would, I’d like a good few more running around.’

And I'd like a Ferarri, but unlike them I know I cannot afford it and don't expect someone else to pick up the tab.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

''A couple whose sole income from welfare payments totals €48,000 have taken a court case over getting pushed off the waiting list for a council house after having their eighth child.
    Don't see why she should be treated any differently than those who work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

€48,0000 per year 'take home' plus help with rent and - presumably - a medical card......to get that by working you'd have to be grossing well over a €100,000 - what a great country :rolleyes:

I should've put more effort into having kids than studying......more fun and more rewarding by the sounds of it :D

I'm all for a decent social welfare system that protects you if/when you hit hard times, but I also think there's an argument for limiting the amount any person can claim from the pot.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭nkav86

I usually hate when people quote full bodies of text, but this is stellar. I agree completely. I'm so sick of the 'why do I bother working when these lot get everything' posts. I agree that this type of situation can seem like a kick in the teeth. But we all bother working because we have pride in ourselves and don't want to be chained to the system for a measly amount per week, we want better for ourselves and families. There are a lot of flaws in the current system, I'm well aware, but this 'my taxes' crap irritates me no end.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭screamer

I'm sure those of you who don't mind paying taxes so others can sit on their arse and make more mouths to feed won't mind ponying up to pay even more tax as the wasters increase and the drain strengthens.
    Seriously there's something messed up with the mentality that it's fine for people to be given a grand a week for doing SFA but sure I work, I have my pride..... And they have your money. Ha ha.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,625 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

screamer wrote: »
    I'm sure those of you who don't mind paying taxes so others can sit on their arse and make more mouths to feed won't mind ponying up to pay even more tax as the wasters increase and the drain strengthens.
    Seriously there's something messed up with the mentality that it's fine for people to be given a grand a week for doing SFA but sure I work, I have my pride..... And they have your money. Ha ha.

But as soon as one asylum seeker gets in, the same people "BAAAAAAA! RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Much of this is true but it is interesting that in many cases those who rely on the state are more likely to reproduce than those that work. It's Darwinism in reverse. It's a weird and unspoken social contract involving the transfer of genetic success from the worker drones (sterile) to the Queens. We should probably be grateful for people like this if only because they buck the trend of falling birth rates.

But is falling birth rates down to people like this? We live in a country that encourages people not to work. This family are receiving so much in social welfare that they're over the treshold for social housing. They're receiving so much of the taxpayers money they're actually better off financially than families who work. People are free to have as many children as they like but should have no reasonable expectation that it's societies responsibility to fund her clown car vagina.

Children's allowance benefit should be capped at 2 children. Have more children by all means but pay for them yourself. Let's call a spade a spade, this woman and her husband will never work, and her litter of kids will be the exact same.

People are getting up and working paying taxes to fund the likes off her and are putting off having their own families because they can't afford to. Women are going back to work after having children and are paying childminders and crèches to care for their kids while they make money and pay into the pot that keeps these people at home breeding.

The likes of them contribute nothing positive to society and it's wrong that they can reap the benefits of a pot they contribute nothing to. They're over the income threshold so they're not eligible for social housing, if they bend the rules for this family and not for a young working family who are over the threshold too then that's very very wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭nkav86

screamer wrote:
    I'm sure those of you who don't mind paying taxes so others can sit on their arse and make more mouths to feed won't mind ponying up to pay even more tax as the wasters increase and the drain strengthens. Seriously there's something messed up with the mentality that it's fine for people to be given a grand a week for doing SFA but sure I work, I have my pride..... And they have your money. Ha ha.

When did anyone say this??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭munster87

Winnifred? Is she named after both of her parents?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,438 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

http://extra.ie/news/irish-news/family-of-ten-were-on-too-much-welfare-to-get-a-home

Full article here. They're making more than the €28750 p/a limit. There are large chunks of the article missing from the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,607 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Mother Winnifred Ward told Extra.ie the local council is trying to ‘stop the couple’ having children, and branded the treatment ‘shocking’.

In total, the couple have a weekly income of €923.50, or just over €48,000 a year. Mr Fogarty said it would be argued that the Social Housing Assessment Regulations, which set the threshold, amounted to an unfair and unconstitutional attack on the family unit.''

So this is where 40% of my wage go to, to support breeders on social welfare. I am working my ass off 60 hours per week and this is where all my finances are going. I basically have nothing left at the end of the week due to massive taxation.

The mother of eight said she is on Jobseeker’s Allowance, and has been ‘for years’, and that her husband Joseph is also in receipt of the payment.

Mrs Ward said: ‘The council are not giving us our own house – they’re not helping us now. We’ve been renting here for four years.

This is the country we live in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Leaving aside the ideological baggage that so often frames the debate, social welfare dependency as a lifestyle choice should be an absolute anathema to anyone who sees value in striving for a high-quality universal health care system, meaningful support for the tireless work of carers in the community or much needed investment in the provision of acute mental health services in the State.

I don't doubt there are myriad areas of Government policy where profligacy and pure stupidity have had a very real impact on the lives of folks who deserve better, but taking the piss at an individual level is both inherently wrong & utterly disrespectful to those for whom the protection afforded by a welfare payment is borne of genuine necessity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

The rest of your post is very good, but this...this is genius. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

€48,000 a year for a person who may never have contributed to the welfare system.

So, instead of bursting my bollox in work for the last 18 years, I could have stayed at home and had sex.

My guidance councellor at school was an idiot! Why didnt he tell me about this?

In fact, €48,000 is not enough. She should get an extra allowance per child for keeping the ethnic minority alive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,625 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

In a proper country both of these wasters would be sent job opportunities from the SW office. Refuse them, allowance cut.
    Why doesn't this happen in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

But is falling birth rates down to people like this? We live in a country that encourages people not to work. This family are receiving so much in social welfare that they're over the treshold for social housing. They're receiving so much of the taxpayers money they're actually better off financially than families who work. People are free to have as many children as they like but should have no reasonable expectation that it's societies responsibility to fund her clown car vagina.

Children's allowance benefit should be capped at 2 children. Have more children by all means but pay for them yourself. Let's call a spade a spade, this woman and her husband will never work, and her litter of kids will be the exact same.

People are getting up and working paying taxes to fund the likes off her and are putting off having their own families because they can't afford to. Women are going back to work after having children and are paying childminders and cres to care for their kids while they make money and pay into the pot that keeps these people at home breeding.

The likes of them contribute nothing positive to society and it's wrong that they can reap the benefits of a pot they contribute nothing to. They're over the income threshold so they're not eligible for social housing, if they bend the rules for this family and not for a young working family who are over the threshold too then that's very very wrong

So how do you suggest this should work Lexie?

Should people who have children above your limit be 'encouraged' to give them up for adoption if they can't afford to feed and clothe them?

What happens if you have two children already but your contraception fails?
    (No abortion in Ireland, remember?)

What happens if you have one child already but stupidly, carelessly, you become pregnant with twins, or god help us, TRIPLETS, you greedy hussy!?

What happens if you are well able to pay for your 3+ children but fail to plan for unexpectedly losing your job or suffering a catastrophic accident, or being suddenly widowed or widowered?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,438 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

In a proper country both of these wasters would be sent job opportunities from the SW office. Refuse them, allowance cut.
    Why doesn't this happen in Ireland?

That's what supposed to happen. I was on the scratcher for a while a few years ago and they wanted details of interviews gone to and jobs I applied for.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

And I'd like a Ferarri, but unlike them I know I cannot afford it and don't expect someone else to pick up the tab.

As Robert De Niro once said sh1t in one hand and want with the other and see which one gets full first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

It's all well and good saying sure leave them to it it's none of our business etc etc.

But when money is been spunked away on people like this other vital services suffer like health etc.

People who worked all their lives left waiting on trollies while this one complains about her 50 grand a year income.

It's not right.

Furthermore it just encourages more people to do the same.

We will come to a point where the welfare system will effectively bankrupt the country.

As it stands it's 20 billion a year. 1 out of every 2 people are on some sort of welfare payment. Yes I am aware pensions and child support are part of this . I'm including them too.

It's not sustainiable in the long run and everyone needs to contribute something to the pot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

I presume Winnie isn't paying for the legal costs herself? Couple of state funded quangos involved as well no doubt. We allow this entitlement culture to exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

B0jangles wrote: »

Should people who have children above your limit be 'encouraged' to give them up for adoption if they can't afford to feed and clothe them?

What happens if you have two children already but your contraception fails?
    (No abortion in Ireland, remember?)

What happens if you have one child already but stupidly, carelessly, you become pregnant with twins, or god help us, TRIPLETS, you greedy hussy!?

What happens if you are well able to pay for your 3+ children but fail to plan for unexpectedly losing your job or suffering a catastrophic accident, or being suddenly widowed or widowered?

1. Yes.

2. Then they have another baby but we dont pay for it

3. Then they have triplets. Why is this so hard to comprehend?

4. Their problem, not ours.

1. Yes.

2. Then they have another baby but we dont pay for it

3. Then they have triplets. Why is this so hard to comprehend?

4. Their problem, not ours.

So we write into law that in the eyes of the government, due to an accident of birth some children are inherently of less value, less worth supporting and less deserving of protection, than others? Moreover, we should effectively force people to give up their children into the care system rather than help them raise them in their own families?

Apart from the grossly inequitable situation that would create, from a purely utilitarian perspective, what do you think children who grow up in such very deprived circumstances are going to do when they themselves become adults?

I see.

Clearly you are a graduate of the "Punch them when they're down" school of political thought.

Personally, I think it's slightly more productive to help people get out of difficult situations than shove them face down back into them, then berate them for being there in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,545 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

People are getting up and working paying taxes to fund the likes off her and are putting off having their own families because they can't afford to. Women are going back to work after having children and are paying childminders and crèches to care for their kids while they make money and pay into the pot that keeps these people at home breeding.

whatever about the thread, these comments are excellent. keep up the good work guys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

B0jangles wrote: »
    So we write into law that in the eyes of the government, due to an accident of birth some children are inherently of less value, less worth supporting and less deserving of protection, than others? Moreover, we should effectively force people to give up their children into the care system rather than help them raise them in their own families?

You could write that but it might be easier to put in that childrens allowance going forward is capped at €3-400 a month regardless of the number of children.

Advertisement