Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

health and safety nonsence

Options
  • 08-08-2017 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking about situations where health and safety is go to extremes.

be it overly tight rules or blatant flouting of the rules

I was talking to an electrician today. he told me that he is on a job in an office today where he had to hire in an aluminium scaffold (little 2foot wide one) , the reason was that the site wouldn't allow him to use a ladder. that seems ok except that he was only 16" off the ground. the scaffold was in its lowest position. completely crazy

other end of the spectrum I once saw a guy with a cherry picker extended out as far a possible , he was standing on top of the basket with a chainsaw cutting a tree. if he slipped he was killed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Speaking of which, how did The Croke Park Boycott go?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

It's easy to scoff but how many men have died on sites recently compared to 20 years ago?

It's completely OTT in parts but it's working

Know a couple of fellows caught in trench collapses in the boom of the mid 00s. One died, one was very lucky to get out as it only reached his waist, but was left with serious injuries. Think some of it is OTT and used to justify the whole health and safety sector, but much of it stopped developers cutting corners.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

It's easy to scoff but how many men have died on sites recently compared to 20 years ago?

of course h and s is needed . 99% is perfectly fine.
    I'm not making light of it but some is way over the top. that 1 % is total nonsense.
    the amount of pictures you see online of ott health and safely is crazy

also on the other end of the scale are people that ignore every thing and do anything . iv seen some stupid things on site

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

I was talking to an electrician today. he told me that he is on a job in an office today where he had to hire in an aluminium scaffold (little 2foot wide one) , the reason was that the site wouldn't allow him to use a ladder. that seems ok except that he was only 16" off the ground. the scaffold was in its lowest position. completely crazy

tis indeed when non-conductive stuff is available

CgpMwzu.jpg

• Advertisement

gctest50 wrote: »
    tis indeed when non-conductive stuff is available

CgpMwzu.jpg

tis a wonder they didn't ask for non conductive.

he was just like that picture but on the bottom rung

It's nearly as quick and keeps everyone happy - don't see the problem tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Am reminded of them boys in limerick who went into the river. Lifejacket pulled them up, safety harness tied them down. Not funny but definitely stupid.

I'm all for safety and using scaffolding. but not when your only 400mm off the ground.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I'm all for safety and using scaffolding. but not when your only 400mm off the ground.

Yes, in that case you'd want to put up a barrier as well and have 2 people direct foot and vehicular traffic. I'd say a 50 meter exclusion zone should be sufficient for that. Of course the person on the scaffold must be trained in using a safety harness, so if he isn't, that has to be done first.
    Best have a first aider standing by as well, you can never be too careful, or can you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

My 2 year old has a mickey mouse push car thingey- there is a sticker on the front saying "Not for use in traffic". Just as well, I was going to take him on the m50 for a spin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭Odelay

Yes, in that case you'd want to put up a barrier as well and have 2 people direct foot and vehicular traffic. I'd say a 50 meter exclusion zone should be sufficient for that. Of course the person on the scaffold must be trained in using a safety harness, so if he isn't, that has to be done first.
    Best have a first aider standing by as well, you can never be too careful, or can you?

No, that would be over the top.

ah the oul reductio ad absurd yoke

anyway

http://bfy.tw/DHLM

now, if they had appropriate equipment, we'd all be driving Volkswagens and

instead we have to listen to the Alboche going on about how it'd be great if we all listened to them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

gctest50 wrote: »
    It's nearly as quick and keeps everyone happy - don't see the problem tbh

Pretty handy piece of kit but still OTT.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,731 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

My 2 year old has a mickey mouse push car thingey- there is a sticker on the front saying "Not for use in traffic". Just as well, I was going to take him on the m50 for a spin

Sure that's sound. He can use it on a nice quiet country road early on a Sunday morning when he's picking ya up from the lock in down the pub!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,740 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

That sticker is likely there because some some dumb-as-fcuk did let a kid take one out in traffic and then sued because they got injured.

I used to work in a sector where registered professionals love to bitch and moan about ever-increasing compliance paperwork. It was sometimes entertaining when someone got to explain that a particular process is annoying but was introduced after the case N years ago when one of your colleagues did XYZ.

Heights are no problem, nothing to be afraid of - you'll only fall off a very high place once

You may fall-from-400mm-up-a-ladder simply because you don't know the colours

( quoted cos this sorta stuff kills people )

I would be worried about that particular setup. I have had some small experience with 220 and 380 volt 1 and 3 phase wiring, namely wiring up electrical motors, switches and relais in order to have them run left and right with a stop in the middle so you couldn't go straight from left running to right running. I was told at the time that the base 220 volt wiring is brown (live), blue (neutral) and green (earth). This is still the case for 3 phase wiring, with 2 extra cables, marked L2 and L3.

Never in my life have I heard of anyone using blue as live in a professional setting.

So, my question is, is this some special exception that only applies to Irish immersions, or is that wiring just wrong and dangerous? I am genuinely asking, not being smart or anything.

Bruthal wrote: »

Like I said, blue was at one time a phase colour, red, yellow, blue were the phases. Black was neutral. That was the official L1 L2 L3 colours.

Guy told me a joke this morning.
    He came in and said did you here about John. He fell off a 30 foot ladder. Everyone started asking if he was alright. Yet man then said lucky John was only on the bottom rung when he fell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I can't understand how schools are allowed have those bright red fire extinguishers. A child could mistake one for a Smartie and swallow one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭Riddle101

In this day and age where people are likely to sue for anything, I suppose it's just a precaution really. If someone gets injured in the workplace because they didn't have the right equipment then they could be liable to sue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭denismc

There is a video on Youtube of Eddie Vedder doing a stage dive back in the 90's. In the video he climbs onto a t.v camera boom and the boom operator swings the boom out over the crowd, then Eddie dives into the crowd.
    https://youtu.be/Wvm9UUCNeCE

Then I was at a Soundgarden gig a few years ago at The Three and all the stage crew were wearing hard hats and high-vis vests.
    Even Rock n Roll has become safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Where I work you are only allowed 20,000 clicks a week on the mouse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

It's pure stupid at times though

I worked in a place where they made big song and dance of boots,safety Goggle etc

But would put lads under machines not supported correctly,cabs/trailers tipped and lads laughed at for refusing to go under them unsupported

But the sky would fall in,if the lines painted on the ground weren't kept right for the hse...no common sense atal

The secondary school I went to had all the dangerous stuff all down one side, like science labs, carpentry , metal works, kitchens, etc. Behind that was a tow of buildings were the gas tanks , oil tanks , timber stores , dust extraction system was. Where do you think all the fire doors opened into that gap between the two buildings . If there was going to be a fire the odds would be on it happening on that side .

Football pitch on other side but they put the fire assembly point right beside where the fire would be

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭kingchess

was working on a site and one of the blocklayers was building a wall,and he stood on two blocks laid flat on the floor to give him an extra 8 inch reach in height to lay the last course of block, which was just above head height,. the safety officer saw him and gave out to him about the danger of falling off and getting hurt(he could have fallen 8 inches).the blocklayer had to get band stands with safety rails etc to stand on which took time ,he had only 10 blocks to lay as last course,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Nabber wrote: »
    Where I work you are only allowed 20,000 clicks a week on the mouse.

How do they count? In-house app?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Biggest lickspittle on boardz

A man drowned in England in 2012 as firefighters watched on helplessly. They weren't allowed to wade into a 3 feet deep lake to save the man in distress due to health and safety reasons. I think the OP has a point that health and safety can go overboard sometimes, although in general the rules are there to improve safety. But sometimes they like to be seen working, which means inventing excessive regulations. It can be a easy money spinner too, which people tend to overlook.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2012/feb/22/man-drowned-lake-firefighters

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

The secondary school I went to had all the dangerous stuff all down one side, like science labs, carpentry , metal works, kitchens, etc. Behind that was a tow of buildings were the gas tanks , oil tanks , timber stores , dust extraction system was. Where do you think all the fire doors opened into that gap between the two buildings . If there was going to be a fire the odds would be on it happening on that side .

Football pitch on other side but they put the fire assembly point right beside where the fire would be

That sounds a bit like fire blankets. I can never understand why people put them over the cooker - right where the fire is going to be :confused:

Back on topic, we had our Sky Box and dish upgraded during the week. The old dish is located on the gable wall about 3 feet higher than my lean to shed. Shed is 9ft x 18 ft , essentially my whole side entrance and is basically a flat roof garage without a garage door. 3 sides are block walls and the fourth is the gable wall. Only about 4 years old and as solid as the house itself.
    The installer had to use a ladder and install the dish on a corner near the end of the shed as he's not allowed by H&S to get onto the (flat) shed roof. He couldn't even take down the old dish as there's no direct ladder access to it. Even he said it was ridiculous as he can install a dish, 15ft up the wall,(and sometimes more) from a ladder, but wasn't allowed to work on a perfectly good surface where he could do the job kneeling down in complete safety.

That sounds a bit like fire blankets. I can never understand why people put them over the cooker - right where the fire is going to be :confused:

Back on topic, we had our Sky Box and dish upgraded during the week. The old dish is located on the gable wall about 3 feet higher than my lean to shed. Shed is 9ft x 18 ft , essentially my whole side entrance and is basically a flat roof garage without a garage door. 3 sides are block walls and the fourth is the gable wall. Only about 4 years old and as solid as the house itself.
    The installer had to use a ladder and install the dish on a corner near the end of the shed as he's not allowed by H&S to get onto the (flat) shed roof. He couldn't even take down the old dish as there's no direct ladder access to it. Even he said it was ridiculous as he can install a dish, 15ft up the wall,(and sometimes more) from a ladder, but wasn't allowed to work on a perfectly good surface where he could do the job kneeling down in complete safety.

they are supposed to drill hole in the wall or concrete yard to tie the bottom of the ladder to if they go up it. that a great idea when your 15 plus feet up but not 3 feet up.

• Advertisement

seen his online some where.
    this is the other end of the scale

Advertisement