Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

health and safety nonsence

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coffee Fulled Runner

Like I said, blue was at one time a phase colour, red, yellow, blue were the phases. Black was neutral. That was the official L1 L2 L3 colours.
    L1Red, L2Yellow, L3Blue, N Black then it changed to L1 Brown, L2 Red, L3 yellow, N Blue, then L1 Brown, L2 Black, L3 Grey, N Blue. If you are in a old place and with the amount of cowboys out there everything must be treated as live :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

'cept old stuff in Austria n places where red = earth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Am reminded of them boys in limerick who went into the river. Lifejacket pulled them up, safety harness tied them down. Not funny but definitely stupid.

this was really stupid, it was a cost cutting measure because of the expense of using a floating barge to do the job... instead the guys in charge of the job decided that dangling them in a cage held up by a crane at the level of the bridge would be a better alternative.

I read an interview with the guy who survived, he said that he had a premonition of things going badly wrong so he had a plan made of what he would do if the chain broke and the cage fell into the water. When it did happen, he was prepared and was able to unhook his safety harness from the cage while submerged and it worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭thecornflake

I was in the world famous ice hotel in Sweeden. The entire structure is made from ice. They had to have alcoves every few feet for fire extinguishers as it was deemed a habital structure. I got curious and asked the tour guide if there was ever a fire, she said they tried one year to start a fire in one of the rooms but gave up. People still don't believe me when I show tell them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

How do they count? In-house app?

Nah not in house. They use 3rd party software.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Some health and safety stuff can help stop accidents. That said health and safety measures are for employers to cover their own asses. I have so many examples of workers meant to be using xyz but getting a hold of xyz is impossible. But if you have an accident then why werent you using said item and it's on you :rolleyes:

An example of the above is I know someone who used to maintain certain flats in Dublin. Now you were meant to be given the right gloves, steel-toe cap boots, the proper cleaning equipment and you name it. All health and safety bollocks. Problem is getting said equipment from your boss was next to impossible. It's on paper vs reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

I was in the world famous ice hotel in Sweeden. The entire structure is made from ice. They had to have alcoves every few feet for fire extinguishers as it was deemed a habital structure. I got curious and asked the tour guide if there was ever a fire, she said they tried one year to start a fire in one of the rooms but gave up. People still don't believe me when I show tell them.

You can just burn to death at any time

Maybe yer gf could save you if she was quick enough

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/man-died-from-spontaneous-human-combustion-inquest-finds-26774631.html

A man who burnt to death in his own home died from spontaneous human combustion in what is believed to be the first case of its kind in the country.

The body had been totally burnt.

His body had been completely cremated, and because of the extensive damage to the organs, it had not been possible to determine the cause of death.

The coroner said he was satisfied nobody had entered or left the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

no need for scafolding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

Who needs H&S training when you can do this..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

more crazy ladder use

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

We had a plumber in at work to rough in some pipework.

There he was there with his kango drill heaving into walls with no gloves, no goggles, no ear protection or mask.

Clowns like him is why we have a H&S officer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

A man drowned in England in 2012 as firefighters watched on helplessly. They weren't allowed to wade into a 3 feet deep lake to save the man in distress due to health and safety reasons. I think the OP has a point that health and safety can go overboard sometimes, although in general the rules are there to improve safety. But sometimes they like to be seen working, which means inventing excessive regulations. It can be a easy money spinner too, which people tend to overlook.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2012/feb/22/man-drowned-lake-firefighters

That can't be true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Your Face wrote: »
    We had a plumber in at work to rough in some pipework.

There he was there with his kango drill heaving into walls with no gloves, no goggles, no ear protection or mask.

Clowns like him is why we have a H&S officer.

Ear / eye protection and mask I agree with but I believe that gloves are a hazard with hand held power tools

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

kingchess wrote: »
    was working on a site and one of the blocklayers was building a wall,and he stood on two blocks laid flat on the floor to give him an extra 8 inch reach in height to lay the last course of block, which was just above head height,. the safety officer saw him and gave out to him about the danger of falling off and getting hurt(he could have fallen 8 inches).the blocklayer had to get band stands with safety rails etc to stand on which took time ,he had only 10 blocks to lay as last course,

I seen the aftermath of a guy falling 9 inches off a block in the train station in Kildare Town. He stood the block up to do something just out of reach. Block slipped and his face slid the whole way down the pebble dashed wall. He looked like someone had taken a cheese grater to his face. Took the builder the best part of a day to power hose the blood and skin off the wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Tigger wrote: »
    Ear / eye protection and mask I agree with but I believe that gloves are a hazard with hand held power tools

Maybe on the trigger finger but the hand nearest the wall needed something to protect it from the flying bits of block.

Advertisement