Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE`s autumn schedule 2017

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Elmo wrote: »
    They have changed their cutting of news on Radio in August, Morning Ireland used to start at 8am in August, with news at 1 cut to 30mins and Drive time cut by 30mins also.

You are going back a long time for that since a they haven't done it in years and b after that it was a 730am start
    BBC don't repeat as much as RTE, or anywhere close neither does Channel 4.

They managed to kept the amount very low on BBC1 and basically confined to daytime but just look at BBC2 in daytime a transmission of the News Channel for 4 hours and all repeats then till 6pm .

As for BBC4 you are lucky to get one new programme most nights and there have been occasions when there have been no new programmes on the Channel at all some times ( and more annoyingly they apparently can only show programmes from the last 5 years easily as I have come across some interesting programmes from their early years 2002,2003 that aren't out of date )
    RTE could put sports analysis shows on the channel at 7pm, they could split reports from news programmes to air a type of EuroNews-esq channel.They could air Current Affairs programmes at 8pm. .

Again you are going to come up with the question where is the money for these coming from and can you justify spending it on a channel even if it got 3 times it's current audience rather than on RTE1 where a lot more people will see it .
    iseegirls wrote: »
    The constant repeating of Mrs Brown Boys, Reeling In The Years and Room To Improve needs to stop

BBC are basically just as guilty of repeats of Mrs Brown Boys as RTE , Reeling in the Years has been confined to saturday this august they have been showing Scannal . their Irish language documentary at 630pm

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

SPDUB wrote: »
    They managed to kept the amount very low on BBC1 and basically confined to daytime but just look at BBC2 in daytime a transmission of the News Channel for 4 hours and all repeats then till 6pm .

To me the most important part of TV is peak time, RTE can repeat as much as it wants during the day, with the exception of children's programming. BBC1 only carries 7% repeats in peak, channel 4 12%, RTE ONE 20%, BBC2 25% and RTE2 45%.
    As for BBC4 you are lucky to get one new programme most nights and there have been occasions when there have been no new programmes on the Channel at all some times ( and more annoyingly they apparently can only show programmes from the last 5 years easily as I have come across some interesting programmes from their early years 2002,2003 that aren't out of date )

BBC4 is really just an extra channel, I'd expect that it and BBC3 when it was on, should air some of their programmes on the 2 main channels. I also expect that E4, MORE4, FILM4 would have more repeats and repeats from Channel 4, unfortunately often RTE2 acts as a extra channel.
    Again you are going to come up with the question where is the money for these coming from and can you justify spending it on a channel even if it got 3 times it's current audience rather than on RTE1 where a lot more people will see it .

Really repeating Soccer Republic on a Tuesday night at 7pm on News Now would cost massive amounts of money?, or airing TWIP at 8pm on Monday Night would be impossible, or simulcasting Newsfeed when they had it. Reports from each news programme interspaced by similar EuroNews titles. Imagination. I am not looking for a Vincent Browne to start a new on News Now.
    BBC are basically just as guilty of repeats of Mrs Brown Boys as RTE , Reeling in the Years has been confined to Saturday this august they have been showing Scannal . their Irish language documentary at 630pm

I think they aired both at 6pm, but its not just August. For example a complaint was made to RTE about What Are You Eat? in the response to the complaint RTE point out that the episode had aired 5 times previously on RTE with no complaint, that means a repeat every 2 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭political analyst

RTE are considering the direction of News on RTE2, in the meantime they have dropped Newsfeed (4 to 6 mins of daily news on the channel), why did they drop newsfeed was it costing that much money?

See, RTE's spin really got you. I don't know why. RTE have commitments to independent producers. I believe to be about 40m a year. now this won't change but it means that at least 7m of that 40m will now be directed towards YPP, no problem with that but RTE haven't committed to spending more in indo production and they are only committed to retaining their 2016 spend in 2017 (or 7.1m or 2% of their budget or a 25% decrease from 2015) on YPP.

RTE's YPP in 2017 IMO will see a drop in funding, and even if it doesn't RTE aren't spending a huge amount on YPP.

Maybe external production will improve the quality of YPP - my comparison to Channel 4 still stands.

As for News Feed, I guess that RTÉ believes that there would be fewer young people watching RTÉ2 during the summer holidays. Furthermore, the main presenter of News Feed is probably a freelancer and so it's easier to save money there.

iseegirls wrote: »
    The constant repeating of Mrs Brown Boys, Reeling In The Years and Room To Improve needs to stop.

RTE1's morning and daytime is horrific. Next week there is 2 and half hours of soaps, a best bits of the Today Show, Blackadder from the 1980's, Masterchef UK which I presume has just been on RTE2 a few weeks back, and 3 American shows in Dr Phil, The Doctors and Ellen.

In fairness to TV3, they have continued with 210 minutes of Ireland AM throughout the whole year, along with live shows Elaine and The Six O'Clock Show throughout the summer. All news bulletins have remained the same length.

Not quite sure why The Today Show needs to take such a hefty break.

Presumably, TV3 programmes (including news bulletins) are low-budget productions.

RTÉ puts more money into its news bulletins, current affairs programmes and chat shows in Spring, Autumn and Winter because, as the national PSB, more is expected from it than from TV3.

For example, more effort is put into the Prime Time current affairs programme than TV3's Tonight programme because the Tonight programme, for the most part, doesn't feature extensive reports.

Maybe external production will improve the quality of YPP - my comparison to Channel 4 still stands.

It doesn't when RTE reduced their budget by 25% bring it to 7.1m and when they are only required to spend 40m on indo producers, most likely 7.1m will eat into 40m, meaning that RTE are doing very little for the indo sector. I am all for the indo sector, but RTE have slashed Kids TV.
    As for News Feed, I guess that RTÉ believes that there would be fewer young people watching RTÉ2 during the summer holidays. Furthermore, the main presenter of News Feed is probably a freelancer and so it's easier to save money there.

The cost of a Newsread for a bulletin, its not just gone for the summer its been complete axed from Jan 2017. Also she is not.
    Presumably, TV3 programmes (including news bulletins) are low-budget productions.

RTÉ puts more money into its news bulletins, current affairs programmes and chat shows in Spring, Autumn and Winter because, as the national PSB, more is expected from it than from TV3.

I have no problem saying this for Six One, but largely Nine News is just a repeat of the news from six.
    For example, more effort is put into the Prime Time current affairs programme than TV3's Tonight programme because the Tonight programme, for the most part, doesn't feature extensive reports.

no reason for Prime Time not to become more of a discussion programme in August as you say its cheap TV.

• Advertisement

The cost of a Newsread for a bulletin, its not just gone for the summer its been complete axed from Jan 2017. Also she is not.

I didn't realise that Newsfeed has been completely axed - I misread your post first time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Really repeating Soccer Republic on a Tuesday night at 7pm on News Now would cost massive amounts of money?, or airing TWIP at 8pm on Monday Night would be impossible, or simulcasting Newsfeed when they had it. Reports from each news programme interspaced by similar EuroNews titles. Imagination. I am not looking for a Vincent Browne to start a new on News Now.

I would presume not but in your previous point you didn't make it clear that you meant repeats of existing programmes ( and I had no idea Soccer Republic existed since I have absolutely no interest in sport ) .

They do occasionally show reports in Euronews style but it appears to be non time dependent stories

I think they aired both at 6pm,.

I'm confused as to what you are referring to here , MBB or Reeling ,Scannel ?

SPDUB wrote: »
    I'm confused as to what you are referring to here , MBB or Reeling ,Scannel ?

Thanks I was confused as with it as well, lol. Scannal and Reeling in the Years aired at 6:30 this August.

no reason for Prime Time not to become more of a discussion programme in August as you say its cheap TV.

Then RTÉ would be guilty of inconsistency with regard to Prime Time's format. There was still a special edition of Prime Time broadcast on the day the death of Albert Reynolds was announced (though it was probably recorded earlier that day) and there would also be a special edition if an exceptionally serious event took place in August, e.g. a massacre on the same scale as the Paris attacks.

I have no problem saying this for Six One, but largely Nine News is just a repeat of the news from six.

The weekday 9 o'clock bulletin does not focus on sports stories as much as Six-One. Furthermore, on Good Friday and in August, it's slightly longer than Six-One.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,344 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

All round to Ms Brown will be back again this season.

Winning Streak will be back on RTÉ on Saturday the 23rd of September.

https://www.lottery.ie/scratch-cards/winning-streak

All round to Ms Brown will be back again this season.

Winning Streak will be back on RTÉ on Saturday the 23rd of September.

https://www.lottery.ie/scratch-cards/winning-streak

Why did Brendan O'Carroll go to the BBC instead of RTÉ for his "Boys" and "All Road to.." shows?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,306 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Why did Brendan O'Carroll go to the BBC instead of RTÉ for his "Boys" and "All Road to.." shows?

Basically the BBC really invested a lot more into it than RTE would have. It also widened his audience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

The Autumn schedule starts from Monday I presume?

The Autumn schedule starts from Monday I presume?

Tonight with the return of TLLS.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭measurement

So, is it RTE or Virgin that writes the blurb for programmes in the Virgin programme guide? Whoever it is thinks we all have terrible memories, when they call the buildings and architecture series 'new' .
    It was interesting the first time...... I hoped for a new series, but it's the same old one. 😯

TBH putting OpTrans on Wednesday Night really shows that RTE have very little to offer, this is a pre-watershed programme. Four eps before the return of Brendan O'Connor.

Largely speaking it seems RTÉ just announced a huge amount of one of programmes. I though the Health Divide would continue this week and why give Joe Duffy the Wealth divide?

I've been enjoying "It's a Park's Life" on Wednesday nights.

I assume that Room To Improve on Monday is a Repeat?

They really haven't launched a schedule.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,306 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I assume that Room To Improve on Monday is a Repeat?

They really haven't launched a schedule.

It is!
    It's the one in Sutton and the girls parents died ad she was moving back to the family home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭iseegirls

The episodes must be repeated about 4 times throughout the year during prime time. It's ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

When is can't cope won't be back

Advertisement