Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE`s autumn schedule 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭brick man

Elmo wrote:
    What is this? uH teleshopping if they announce that I'll be surprised.

Elmo wrote:
    What is this? uH teleshopping if they announce that I'll be surprised.

Yes Life n Style starts Monday Sept 4th according to digiguide

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

brick man wrote: »
    Yes Life n Style starts Monday Sept 4th according to digiguide

Can you see if there are any news shows on RTE2 for September. Thanks.

Elmo wrote:
    Can you see if there are any news shows on RTE2 for September. Thanks.

No news on Two up to mid September though it looks as if they hav'nt started new season yet One little thing TRTE now starts at 1.10 it was 1.30 last season meaning full hour of ads from 1 til 2 . I thought given Dee Forbes wants one RTE as she put it ,one start would be to bring morning Ireland to RTE One and have it across all platforms . RTE is seriously lacking in the morning's after all we pay for it .

No news on Two up to mid September though it looks as if they hav'nt started new season yet One little thing TRTE now starts at 1.10 it was 1.30 last season meaning full hour of ads from 1 til 2 . I thought given Dee Forbes wants one RTE as she put it ,one start would be to bring morning Ireland to RTE One and have it across all platforms . RTE is seriously lacking in the morning's after all we pay for it .

What News on 2 do they have in Mid-Sept?

Do you know if they TRTE continues to end at 5pm in Sept?

Elmo wrote:
    What News on 2 do they have in Mid-Sept?

Elmo wrote:
    Do you know if they TRTE continues to end at 5pm in Sept?

What I mean is there is no news at all scheduled as far as digiguide has listing to which is mid September. I think News Now should do the news but a lively different current affairs programme aimed at RTE 2 audience is needed badly .
    Yes it continues to end at 5 but back to what they were showing at that time before ; deadly 60

• Advertisement

What I mean is there is no news at all scheduled as far as digiguide has listing to which is mid September. I think News Now should do the news but a lively different current affairs programme aimed at RTE 2 audience is needed badly .
    Yes it continues to end at 5 but back to what they were showing at that time before ; deadly 60

It used to end at 5:30.

I assume that all RTE ONE news is back from the 4th. No News 2day?

Elmo wrote:
    I assume that all RTE ONE news is back from the 4th. No News 2day?

Yes and news 2 day is back as well

• Registered Users Posts: 30,306 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

RTE are streaming a video on Facebook.
    Dancing with the stars is back.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

The press release.

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/television/2017/0823/899484-rte-announces-over-60-new-shows-for-this-autumn/

Sixty new shows they say, but im having trouble seeing what they are. Seems to be essentially mass renewals of last years slate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭iseegirls

RTÉ2 dedicates Friday nights to foreign language shows with the likes of Norwegian detective series Mammon, Danish thriller Below the Surface, and the latest from Borgen creator Adam Price, Ride Upon the Storm.

Nice to see this occurring, and themed nights dedicated to certain shows. Unsure how it should rate though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,921 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

so no Love/Hate then :(:(:( :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,306 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

MOD: No, we don't copy and paste entire articles. Even satirical ones. Link and short description only please.

http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2017/08/24/rte-has-just-revealed-its-autumn-schedule-here-are-the-highlights/

icdg wrote: »
    Sixty new shows they say, but im having trouble seeing what they are. Seems to be essentially mass renewals of last years slate.

Usual spin, 60 new docs range from 1 to 4 eps. mainly just one. TV3 will do the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

I know people slate RTE, but I enjoy most of their content. Especially there documentries.

I know people slate RTE, but I enjoy most of their content. Especially there documentries.

I have no problem with RTE and many of their shows are excellent. But they have no real reason for letting the news take a break in August, no reason for 25% of repeats on RTE ONE's prime time or 45% on RTE2s, they slashed RTEjr costs in 2016 and attempted the same in 2017 and only retained the tiny budget for RTEjr programming. They have no full time daytime or morning show, and this would be fine if they created a good quality Prime Time service without the said repeats, so they have no excuse not to produce either. RTE2 is a mess and it has no news programme, outside News2day which finishes in June. Their repeats are of everything you could do without seeing again, all these great docs and drama will get one repeat, while Ear To The Ground will have 5, (I like ETTG but its not repeatable). So I can see why people are angry with RTE particularly when you look at their executive expenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭political analyst

Elmo wrote: »
    Could be wrong but I think almost all of this seasons Drama on RTÉ ONE will start in the New Year. RTÉ pretty much went into hibernation for 2017.

You are correct.

I know that the autumn schedule is the subject of this thread; it's just that other programmes that will be broadcast in the New Year were also mentioned, but I acknowledge that's a matter for new thread in the near future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Radio_Fan_738

Is the today show with Maura and Dahi coming back ?

Is the today show with Maura and Dahi coming back ?

yes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Radio_Fan_738

I could never understand why they dropped the more laid back News2 where the presenters wore Jeans, it made perfect sense for a youth channel and was a well produced program. sometime in the mid 00s it was replaced by a standard news, that looked like a repeat of the 9 o clock news.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I have no problem with RTE and many of their shows are excellent. But they have no real reason for letting the news take a break in August, no reason for 25% of repeats on RTE ONE's prime time or 45% on RTE2s, they slashed RTEjr costs in 2016 and attempted the same in 2017 and only retained the tiny budget for RTEjr programming. They have no full time daytime or morning show, and this would be fine if they created a good quality Prime Time service without the said repeats, so they have no excuse not to produce either. RTE2 is a mess and it has no news programme, outside News2day which finishes in June. Their repeats are of everything you could do without seeing again, all these great docs and drama will get one repeat, while Ear To The Ground will have 5, (I like ETTG but its not repeatable). So I can see why people are angry with RTE particularly when you look at their executive expenses.

Dont forget they now broadcast those absolutely awful teleshopping spots in the morning. They have no place on a network paid for by the tax payer. Better off broadcasting Morning Ireland to be honest

• Advertisement

Weepsie wrote: »
    Dont forget they now broadcast those absolutely awful teleshopping spots in the morning. They have no place on a network paid for by the tax payer. Better off broadcasting Morning Ireland to be honest

Morning Ireland is simulcast on News Now. There are barely any viewers at that time of the day anyway.

I could never understand why they dropped the more laid back News2 where the presenters wore Jeans, it made perfect sense for a youth channel and was a well produced program. sometime in the mid 00s it was replaced by a standard news, that looked like a repeat of the 9 o clock news.

News broadcasting is a serious business and so newsreaders must be dressed formally!

News broadcasting is a serious business and so newsreaders must be dressed formally!

News2 was original supposed to be presented in a laid back form, between the news presenter and the sports presenter. Initially it was hosted by Sharon Ní Bheoláin (now Six One) and Antony Murnane with sports by Eamon Horan (now Six One). They initially did different news with both newsreaders having a news report that wasn't featured on Six One or 9 News, as time went on they slowly became more formal resulting in News 2 going back to RTE news proper, and now nothing. Also it is where News2day gets its name.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

It reverted back at the start of September 2003, fwiw. News 2 was closely associated with the "N2 era" which was coming to the end of the road at that stage. It was also a time when RTE decided that this concept of pretending N2 (and 2FM) were nothing to do with them had its day, and everything was going to be RTE branded from then on.

Morning Ireland is simulcast on News Now. There are barely any viewers at that time of the day anyway.

I think its RTEs failure to give the idea that they are providing a full service. I think we can all agree that if RTE are making strong prime time TV and less repeats we can accept that they don't have a morning news programme on RTE.

There are other areas that even a strong prime time does not cause RTE to cut general programming at the weekend. I do not understand, and I don't think RTE can effectively explain, why RTE News on Radio and TV takes a break in August, nor can RTE explain why they dropped Newsfeed from RTE2 while they consider news on RTE2.

I understood from the very moment that RTE suggested becoming a publisher for children's TV (rather than a producer) that they were in effect killing YPP for 2017 and holding off producing anything new until 2018.

There massive amount of repeats also make no sense, not only what they repeat so often and the lack of repeats of quality drama and docs, but also the fact that they buy in so much new programming it could fit across 6 channels prime time hours.

This coupled with excess in RTE. People here talk about how RTE News Now doesn't carry ads but in fairness the lack of funding for the channel is not the only reason for its failure, its purely RTE's lack of imagination.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

I do not understand, and I don't think RTE can effectively explain, why RTE News on Radio and TV takes a break in August, nor can RTE explain why they dropped Newsfeed from RTE2 while they consider news on RTE2.

RTE News on radio doesn't take a break .
    I understood from the very moment that RTE suggested becoming a publisher for children's TV (rather than a producer) that they were in effect killing YPP for 2017 and holding off producing anything new until 2018.

And so they should when they are forced to transmit it on 2 channels .

If the Govt had any intelligence they would have said that RTE had to put a certain percentage of any additional revenue earned , by changes to RTE2 , into various defined activities including children's TV
    There massive amount of repeats also make no sense, not only what they repeat so often and the lack of repeats of quality drama and docs, but also the fact that they buy in so much new programming it could fit across 6 channels prime time hours.

Drama is always difficult to repeat given that it very expensive even the BBC doesn't repeat much of it's output for that very reason
    People here talk about how RTE News Now doesn't carry ads but in fairness the lack of funding for the channel is not the only reason for its failure, its purely RTE's lack of imagination.

Other than making it full screen or at least get rid of the side bar you are going to be restricted with what you can do with a lack of funding

There are other areas that even a strong prime time does not cause RTE to cut general programming at the weekend. I do not understand, and I don't think RTE can effectively explain, why RTE News on Radio and TV takes a break in August, nor can RTE explain why they dropped Newsfeed from RTE2 while they consider news on RTE2.
    The part I've highlighted confuses me.
    Sure, that idea works for Channel 4. Isn't independent production something to be encouraged?!

The part I've highlighted confuses me.

Sure, that idea works for Channel 4. Isn't independent production something to be encouraged?!

RTE are considering the direction of News on RTE2, in the meantime they have dropped Newsfeed (4 to 6 mins of daily news on the channel), why did they drop newsfeed was it costing that much money?

See, RTE's spin really got you. I don't know why. RTE have commitments to independent producers. I believe to be about 40m a year. now this won't change but it means that at least 7m of that 40m will now be directed towards YPP, no problem with that but RTE haven't committed to spending more in indo production and they are only committed to retaining their 2016 spend in 2017 (or 7.1m or 2% of their budget or a 25% decrease from 2015) on YPP.

RTE's YPP in 2017 IMO will see a drop in funding, and even if it doesn't RTE aren't spending a huge amount on YPP.

SPDUB wrote: »
    RTE News on radio doesn't take a break .

And so they should when they are forced to transmit it on 2 channels .

If the Govt had any intelligence they would have said that RTE had to put a certain percentage of any additional revenue earned , by changes to RTE2 , into various defined activities including children's TV

Drama is always difficult to repeat given that it very expensive even the BBC doesn't repeat much of it's output for that very reason

Other than making it full screen or at least get rid of the side bar you are going to be restricted with what you can do with a lack of funding

They have changed their cutting of news on Radio in August, Morning Ireland used to start at 8am in August, with news at 1 cut to 30mins and Drive time cut by 30mins also.

I agree that RTEjr should be moved from RTE, at this point I don't see why they don't do it, they have made changes to RTE2 daytime schedule since they submitted that proposal, if section 103 does require ministerial permission then RTE needed to ask for Two Tube and Longwave Radio transmissions.

BBC don't repeat as much as RTE, or anywhere close neither does Channel 4.

RTE could put sports analysis shows on the channel at 7pm, they could split reports from news programmes to air a type of EuroNews-esq channel. They could air Current Affairs programmes at 8pm. When they had NewsFeed they could have aired it on the channel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭iseegirls

The constant repeating of Mrs Brown Boys, Reeling In The Years and Room To Improve needs to stop.

RTE1's morning and daytime is horrific. Next week there is 2 and half hours of soaps, a best bits of the Today Show, Blackadder from the 1980's, Masterchef UK which I presume has just been on RTE2 a few weeks back, and 3 American shows in Dr Phil, The Doctors and Ellen.

In fairness to TV3, they have continued with 210 minutes of Ireland AM throughout the whole year, along with live shows Elaine and The Six O'Clock Show throughout the summer. All news bulletins have remained the same length.

Not quite sure why The Today Show needs to take such a hefty break.

Advertisement