Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would happen if suddenly there was no USA

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

No season 7 of Game of Thrones from HBO?

We are on season 7?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Irish Praetorian

What about Brazil, Venezuela, Bolivia, Guatemala, Congo, Iran, Iraq, Lybia, Syria, Panama, Cuba, Lebanon, The Dominican Republic, Nicaragua, Haiti, Egypt, and all the other countries where the US either propped up despotic dictators, overthrew democratically elected governments and replaced them with despotic dictators, or attempted to?

It's hilarious that you have Afghanistan listed, the US helped install the Taliban into power and are still there over 2 decades later trying to clean up the mess they made.

What about them? Brazil is a more or less functional democracy, Venezuela has been a bastion of anti-US sentiment since Chavez times can't blame the US for its failures, Bolivia is the same albeit without the oil crash, Guatamala is an evolving democracy, Congo required no-ones help to screw up and is doing about as well as its neighbours, Iran has been a bad case of blaming the US for every failure since 1955 time to get over it, Iraq I'm not inclined to disagree on albeit it appears to be turning a quarter, Libya was more a UK-France affair than a US one, Syria is not the fault of the US much though people would like to think so, Panama is a functioning democracy and doing reasonably well, Cuba has been under Communist rule since the 50's see Venezuela, Lebanon is one of the few sane parts of the ME right now, the Dominican Republic is doing alight, Nicaragua see Venezuela again, Haiti has always been a disaster and Egypt's problems are of it's own making.

TLDR: Most of these places were hellholes before the US went anywhere near them and unsurprisingly many have remained so. As for the Cold War coups, I'm inclined to overlook such actions given the fragility of such regimes when compared with the reprehensible endurance of Soviet personality cults or bureaucratic despotisms a la North Korea or Vietnam respectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,213 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

We would never have to hear about the 'undocumented' again (or illegal as I like to call them).

Advertisement