Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nuclear War: What's your exit strategy?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

hairyslug wrote: »
    Off to the magical land of Leitrim.

A nuclear (or nucular for our American brethren) can't get you there.
    NOPE.We're overcrowded with cows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

Ok I admit I'm panicking at bit now but I took my 1149056.46 krona and changed it to 10910.44 sterling.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Do you mean Ardnacrusha power station? Poulaphouca's a dolmen in the Burren :) Ardnacrusha could keep ticking over, I think.

Sorry, I've just realised where you meant!
    http://oireachtasdebates.oireachtas.ie/debates%20authoring/debateswebpack.nsf/takes/dail1942060200007?opendocument
    the estimated annual output of Poulaphouca will be 30,000,000 units.
    so an average of 3.4 MW

peak demand today was 4,627.0 MW

we are one on the countries most dependent on imported energy

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

http://oireachtasdebates.oireachtas.ie/debates%20authoring/debateswebpack.nsf/takes/dail1942060200007?opendocumentso an average of 3.4 MW

peak demand today was 4,627.0 MW

we are one on the countries most dependent on imported energy

We wouldn't be, after a nuclear war.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

We wouldn't be, after a nuclear war.
    I saw a documentary on that. After the war people will find it harder to fill up their tanks.

Did you know the original plan was to have the Goose as the Ayatollah of rock 'n' rolla ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gar32

Get inside the largest building within running distance and bring water and food for at least 1 day. Basement more like and sleep in a car if possible. After 24 hr find food and water and bring it some where you can set up a base. You may need to protect it from people. If there is advice on the radio ignore it as it will be the government.

Wait a few days and head south as a very long winter would be coming. Some where near the sea as fish would be more like to be a food supply.

Not having any more kids as the may have 2 heads.

Good luck if the bomb drops people. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 118 ✭✭Resist ZOG

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

You wouldn't be killed instantly, you'd burn to death. Your last moments would be total agony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭hank scorpio89

Yes ok then, dark chocolate. The Brazils Nuts are handy for selenium, and thus better iodine uptake from the sea salt.

If there is a nuclear war and it's between cockroaches or dark chocolate surviving I'll be eating roach crispies for breakfast ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Ill have a quick ****

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

Spray Dettol at the big mushroom?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Go to the Winchester and wait for this to all blow over. *wink and raise pint*

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Flashpoint 1: China vs India
    Flashpoint 2: China vs America ( Japan) China East and South seas
    Flashpoint 3: North Korea vs United States, South Korea, Japan.
    If the US nukes China or NK, Putin could use it as an excuse to come russian in and nuke the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

How does this only have 2 thanks??!!
    This was the soundtrack to the cold war in the 80's, this is such a great tune, you didn't even mind being vaporized by a nuclear bomb.

Relax

JupiterKid wrote: »
    If you are of a nervous disposition I would not recommend watching the horrific 1984 UK film Threads.

Its grim for sure but an acyual exchange would be many times worse

• Registered Users Posts: 23,921 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

'Threads' and the American produced equivalant 'The Day After' should be compulsory viewing for anyone under 40 and all world so-called leaders. Nervous disposition or not, wake up calls are needed.

A modern version would be too computer generated, there is something very chilling about how basic Threads is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

gar32 wrote: »
    Get inside the largest building within running distance and bring water and food for at least 1 day. Basement more like and sleep in a car if possible. After 24 hr find food and water and bring it some where you can set up a base. You may need to protect it from people. If there is advice on the radio ignore it as it will be the government.

Wait a few days and head south as a very long winter would be coming. Some where near the sea as fish would be more like to be a food supply.

Not having any more kids as the may have 2 heads.

Good luck if the bomb drops people. ;)

I about to save your life, if you left the shelter after 24 hours you be dead with radiation poison within days. It's takes 10 to 14 days for radiation to die off to acceptable levels to go outside. Even then you can't stay out in it for long! Give it about a month should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

the_syco wrote: »
    If the US nukes China or NK, Putin could use it as an excuse to come russian in and nuke the US.

Which would result in the US nuking Russia. Which is why it won't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Syphonax

Fallout 4 survival strategy for Trump Holocaust:

1. Dig deep hole in backyard
    2. Write the word VAULT 666 on fridge freezer
    3. Stick it and myself down the hole
    4. Wait 200 years then release myself from freezer
    5. Conquer all Super Mutant Travellers
    6. Rename Ireland to Bonerland

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

You're exaggerating. Most fallout from a 500kt fusion bomb (most likely weapon to be used) would settle very close to the blast as very few of the detonations would be ground bursts. Bantry Bay and Shannon would get hit, but they're fairly isolated. Nuclear winter has been proven to be based on faulty evidence from bad computer models back in the 70s and 80s. We'd lose comms and would rapidly lose power as fuel tankers stopped coming in, but we'd have Poulaphouca and wind turbines for emergency power. Assuming Dublin wasn't hit, Ireland would come out of nuclear war fairly well.

We'd hit the jackpot if Cork was hit though.

It is, apparently, not as clear cut as all that. Here's a very readable article from the guy who wrote the code for the Nukemap website

http://blog.nuclearsecrecy.com/2013/08/02/what-the-nukemap-taught-me-about-fallout/
    The real relevance of all of this for understanding nuclear war is fairly important. Weapons that are designed to flatten cities, perhaps surprisingly, don't really pose as much of a long-term fallout hazard. The reason for this is that the ideal burst height for such a weapon is usually set to maximize the 10 psi pressure radius, and that is always fairly high above the ground. (The maximum radius for a pressure wave is somewhat unintuitive because it relies on how the wave will be reflected on the ground. So it doesn't produce a straightforward curve.) Bad for the people in the cities themselves, to be sure, but not such a problem for those downwind.

But weapons that are designed to destroy command bunkers, or missiles in silos, are the worst for the surrounding civilian populations. This is because such weapons are designed to penetrate the ground, and the fireballs necessarily come into contact with the dirt and debris. As a result, they kick up the worst sort of fallout that can stretch many hundreds of miles downwind.

So it's sort of a damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't sort of situation when it comes to nuclear targeting. If you try to do the humane thing by only targeting counterforce targets, you end up producing the worst sort of long-range, long-term radioactive hazard. The only way to avoid that is to target cities — which isn't exactly humane either. (And, of course, the idealized terrorist nuclear weapon manages to combine the worst aspects of both: targeting civilians and kicking up a lot of fallout, for lack of a better delivery vehicle.)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Registered Users Posts: 24,305 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

JupiterKid wrote: »
    If you are of a nervous disposition I would not recommend watching the horrific 1984 UK film Threads.

urm... nsis

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

There was a booklet mentioned by the OP and it was called Bas Beatha.

Simple survival techniques issued to the masses by an informed government included:

if you are wearing a heavy coat - turn your collar up to the flash!

Sit under a table propped up by some books...

Fill your wardrobe with soil from the garden and move it to a position blocking your window....

vacuum up fallout and dump it outside.....

etc.

Anyone got a copy?

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Syphonax

Ensure you have enough Stimpaks and Rad Away

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

There was a booklet mentioned by the OP and it was called Bas Beatha.

Simple survival techniques issued to the masses by an informed government included:

if you are wearing a heavy coat - turn your collar up to the flash!

Sit under a table propped up by some books...

Fill your wardrobe with soil from the garden and move it to a position blocking your window....

vacuum up fallout and dump it outside.....

etc.

Anyone got a copy?

Sounds very "When the Wind Blows"

I wonder how much of it would be effective and how much was fluff to make people feel the authorities had a handle on things.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Rather than trying to survive it, i'd embrace it and accept my inevitable death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

Dont worry.

We'll have iodine up to the wazz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Tabnabs wrote: »
    It is, apparently, not as clear cut as all that.

There are not as many underground installations that would require repeated, high-yield detonations: Cheyenne Mt. and The White House (a direct hit would suffice). Underground missile silos are mostly decommissipned and are no longer targetted, which has reduced the need for ground detonations to less than 10 (i'd say less than 5 realistically)
    The same crowd you linked to, posted a map of every possible target in the US, which was very interesting to see but not realistic. There are looking at it from the worst-case point of view.

• Advertisement
Advertisement