Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nuclear War: What's your exit strategy?

Options
  • 06-08-2017 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭

I have lost my iodine tablets and the goverment issued booklet from years ago. I'm no expert on world politics but what I've been seeing on the news recently is a bit scary. The U.S seems a bit over stretched at the moment while Russia and China appear to be flexing their muscles. North Korea is looking like a potential flashpoint.

I used to think that Ireland was relatively safe in the event of nuclear war and the worst we would have to worry about was which way the wind was blowing when England got nuked. However I was reading recently that during the cold war Russia had 10 nukes pointed at Ireland. Most of them targeting the north but also one's pointed at our major airports, Shannon, Cork and Dublin. (Hopefully they have updated this to include Knock)

I'm living half way between Cork and Shannon so I'm a bit worried. I don't think I'd be within the blast radius but I would be at risk from the fallout.
    Ideally my exit strategy would be to commandeer a ship (loads up shotgun and puts on pirate hat) and sail for Iceland. We won't get any advance warning so It would probably be already too late to make a run for it when it happens.

Just looking aroud the house I'd say I have enough food to keep me going for a month or so. I could easily stock up and maybe I should. I'd be a bit more worried about my water supply being contaminated than my food supply.

So what's your exit strategy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Patio Door.

1964_Dr_Strangelove_09.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

Put my head between my knees and kiss my arse goodbye

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I try not to let it worry me too much. But to cheer you all up, here is a British public service advert from 1981 which would have been aired on TV in the imminent event of Armageddon.

Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'd hope that for some reason hard to discern Waterford was on the list places to nuke so I'd just go outside and get vapourized.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

The living will envy the dead. Get your sunglasses on, stand on a tall building and watch the fireworks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Biggest lickspittle on boardz

If I knew for a fact that there was going to be a nuclear attack, I would move directly into the blast area. They say the horrors that would follow for any survivors of nuclear war would make them envy those killed immediately.

You'd be better off going out in a flash, instead of surviving long enough to see your surviving family members starve to death, or resort to cannibalism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

If I knew for a fact that there was going to be a nuclear attack, I would move directly into the blast area. They say the horrors that would follow for any survivors of nuclear war would make them envy those killed immediately.

You'd be better off going out in a flash, without having to survive long enough to see your surviving family members starve to death, or resort of cannibalism.

Deep fried Mommy's tit anyone?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I was watching the start of The Road yesterday, bleak

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Kick back with a bottle of Teelings whisky put the feet up and watch the world burn ,,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I try not to let it worry me too much. But to cheer you all up, here is a British public service advert from 1981 which would have been aired on TV in the imminent event of Armageddon.

Enjoy!

That was oddly helpful. I need to stock up on batteries and get a radio.

@ most other replies; Stop giving up and fight for your lives!

@ Harry Palmr I know what you mean. Waterford should be great but it's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

The Dubliners had this problem solved years ago.

Protect and Survive yo!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Off to the magical land of Leitrim.

A nuclear (or nucular for our American brethren) can't get you there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Arran Islands would become popular

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Smurfette principle

Ha I remember those iodine tablets and I remember thinking at the time if anyone in a Nuclear power station anywhere that was going into meltdown has ever used the phrase "Don't worry lads I just took an iodine tablet so out of my way there and I'll just run in and sort out that yellow cake uranium"

This is the Cuban Missile crisis all over again, at this rate pretty soon some entrepreneur will have a bright idea and make a killing selling people personal bunkers they can bury in their back gardens (would you need planning permission for that? I mean people say all the time that if there was a Nuclear war only the cockroaches would survive so does that include Dublin County Council? because last thing you want after a Nuclear war is them hunting you down because you didn't fill in your planning application correctly).

OP the truth is if there were a Nuclear war the dead would be envied by the living because all you would have to look forward to would be your teeth, hair and nails falling out, lesions all over your body, your internal organs slowly dissolving (making all that food you stocked up pointless because it is hard to chew and digest with no teeth or stomach) and you probably wouldn't be able to get it up anymore either so that's repopulating the Earth out the window too. If a nuke were dropped on London (the most likely target and about 280 miles from Dublin) Dublin would be a wasteland within a week assuming it's not under 30 miles of water because it wouldn't even matter which way the wind was blowing because if the radiation doesn't get us the tsunamis and subsequent Earthquakes will and then even if you survive that there is still a 15 year Nuclear Winter coming your way that will make Iceland seem like a tropical paradise so there will be no sun because of the dust cloud, all the plants will die meaning any animals that survived the initial bomb will die of starvation thus no food so it will become a race between radiation poisoning, diphtheria and malnutrition to see which kills you first. You are starting to envy the dead now aren't you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

I hope people that write long posts in AH threads are the first to go.
    Live until i die is my strategy...nukes or no nukes.

Would love to see a detonation though - would be awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

There is four hotspots right now for war.

Flashpoint 1: China vs India
    Flashpoint 2: China vs America ( Japan) China East and South seas
    Flashpoint 3: North Korea vs United States, South Korea, Japan.

Nothing here should worry us. China is not going to nuke the UK anytime soon.

Flashpoint 4 should worry us but hasn't happened yet, but probably will. America, Saudi Arabia, Israel and other allies vs Iran ( Iraq) Syria and Lebanon. Potentially a war against Iran could drag in Russia and the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,577 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

main-qimg-0f7d878425661870250d042232a067d4.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I'm stocking large rolls of tinfoil with the intention of wrapping the house in it from top to bottom. I'm so scientist but I think that will keep out the worst of the radiation.

• Advertisement

Ha I remember those iodine tablets and I remember thinking at the time if anyone in a Nuclear power station anywhere that was going into meltdown has ever used the phrase "Don't worry lads I just took an iodine tablet so out of my way there and I'll just run in and sort out that yellow cake uranium"

This is the Cuban Missile crisis all over again, at this rate pretty soon some entrepreneur will have a bright idea and make a killing selling people personal bunkers they can bury in their back gardens (would you need planning permission for that? I mean people say all the time that if there was a Nuclear war only the cockroaches would survive so does that include Dublin County Council? because last thing you want after a Nuclear war is them hunting you down because you didn't fill in your planning application correctly).

OP the truth is if there were a Nuclear war the dead would be envied by the living because all you would have to look forward to would be your teeth, hair and nails falling out, lesions all over your body, your internal organs slowly dissolving (making all that food you stocked up pointless because it is hard to chew and digest with no teeth or stomach) and you probably wouldn't be able to get it up anymore either so that's repopulating the Earth out the window too. If a nuke were dropped on London (the most likely target and about 280 miles from Dublin) Dublin would be a wasteland within a week assuming it's not under 30 miles of water because it wouldn't even matter which way the wind was blowing because if the radiation doesn't get us the tsunamis and subsequent Earthquakes will and then even if you survive that there is still a 15 year Nuclear Winter coming your way that will make Iceland seem like a tropical paradise so there will be no sun because of the dust cloud, all the plants will die meaning any animals that survived the initial bomb will die of starvation thus no food so it will become a race between radiation poisoning, diphtheria and malnutrition to see which kills you first. You are starting to envy the dead now aren't you?

That sound bleak man. Most of our wind comes from the south west so we might have a chance if it was just London getting bombed. However if it comes to a stage where London is getting bombed I reckon we are going to get it too. I have read conflicting sources on how long radiation would be a problem, the most optimistic being 5 weeks. i think i could hole up for that long but as you suggest, what would you be coming out to?
    I'm thinking the best option would be to run. Iceland here I come. and if it's not safe there I'll keep going north. I'll bring my coats.

There is four hotspots right now for war.

Flashpoint 1: China vs India
    Flashpoint 2: China vs America ( Japan) China East and South seas
    Flashpoint 3: North Korea vs United States, South Korea, Japan.

Nothing here should worry us. China is not going to nuke the UK anytime soon.

Flashpoint 4 should worry us but hasn't happened yet, but probably will. America, Saudi Arabia, Israel and other allies vs Iran ( Iraq) Syria and Lebanon. Potentially a war against Iran could drag in Russia and the UK?

Flashpoint 5 someone goes Whoops on India vs Pakistan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Yester wrote: »

Pack the immediate family in the car, drive to the whest coast & commandeer/steal a trawler, then head for a remote island (secret name), and camp out for a few weeks/months living off homemade bread, coconut, rodents, fish, rainwater & pineapple ... until the dust has settled. Then fill up the trawler tank with rape seed oil and make the return journey to Ireland, by which stage the war will be over - sorted.

Agricola wrote: »
    I'm stocking large rolls of tinfoil with the intention of wrapping the house in it from top to bottom. I'm so scientist but I think that will keep out the worst of the radiation.

So that's why I couldn't get tin foil in Tesco today. Feck sake man, leave a bit for other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Kevin Murphy

I heard the guy from this website speak on a podcast last week. Very interesting stuff. Very practical guides on the website that would apply in the case of nukes, or flooding, or conventional war, or disease.. just survival stuff really.

My preference with nukes would be to die in the blast I think, but I do plan to prep a go bag and stash supplies once I can figure out where I'd go. People are the biggest danger if you survive the first week.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Subacio

Bury biscuit tins at various locations between work and home. Each tin has similar contents. Energy bars, hunting knife, waterproof poncho, matches, etc. Just a few things to help me through the initial weeks of the apocalypse, and the herd has been thinned out a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Yester wrote: »

I have lost my iodine tablets and the goverment issued booklet from years ago. I'm no expert on world politics but what I've been seeing on the news recently is a bit scary. The U.S seems a bit over stretched at the moment while Russia and China appear to be flexing their muscles. North Korea is looking like a potential flashpoint.

I used to think that Ireland was relatively safe in the event of nuclear war and the worst we would have to worry about was which way the wind was blowing when England got nuked. However I was reading recently that during the cold war Russia had 10 nukes pointed at Ireland. Most of them targeting the north but also one's pointed at our major airports, Shannon, Cork and Dublin. (Hopefully they have updated this to include Knock)

I'm living half way between Cork and Shannon so I'm a bit worried. I don't think I'd be within the blast radius but I would be at risk from the fallout.
    Ideally my exit strategy would be to commandeer a ship (loads up shotgun and puts on pirate hat) and sail for Iceland. We won't get any advance warning so It would probably be already too late to make a run for it when it happens.

Just looking aroud the house I'd say I have enough food to keep me going for a month or so. I could easily stock up and maybe I should. I'd be a bit more worried about my water supply being contaminated than my food supply.

So what's your exit strategy?

I'm not sure what you were reading but when historians and snslysts were given access to the Soviet era archives in the late 1990s they found that the Soviets had a lot fewer nukes aimed at Western Europe than originally thought.......even the UK had 'only' 12 nukes (mostly large yield airburst devices) aimed at them.

Ireland had none......zero......aimed at it. The Soviets didn't regard anything here as strategically consequential. Shannon, Knonck etc are not strategic. They're just runways, of which there are plenty in Europe.

The biggest threat was from fallout and EMP bursts. So I think my strategy would've been to head west.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

I wouldn't even want to think about it.

A poster mentioned the documentary style film called Threads by the BBC in the 80's in the film forum a while ago and I watched it. Its about the effect of a nuclear attack set in Sheffield. It was the most terrifying and disturbing film I've ever seen. Honestly I did not feel normal for about three days after watching it. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I remember a story doing the rounds , where a group of US soldiers (6) stood directly under a nuclear weapon detonated mid air and all survived into old age apparently ,

But in serious situation running to hills won't do you a lot of good unless you know some kind of bush craft

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement