Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nuclear War: What's your exit strategy?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

Jawgap wrote: »
    I'm not sure what you were reading but when historians and snslysts were given access to the Soviet era archives in the late 1990s they found that the Soviets had a lot fewer nukes aimed at Western Europe than originally thought.......even the UK had 'only' 12 nukes (mostly large yield airburst devices) aimed at them.

Ireland had none......zero......aimed at it. The Soviets didn't regard anything here as strategically consequential. Shannon, Knonck etc are not strategic. They're just runways, of which there are plenty in Europe.

The biggest threat was from fallout and EMP bursts. So I think my strategy would've been to head west.

I think it was an article in The Sun so my sources are beyond question.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I try not to let it worry me too much. But to cheer you all up, here is a British public service advert from 1981 which would have been aired on TV in the imminent event of Armageddon.

Enjoy!

Needs more FGTH!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

I would prefer to die in the first wave.
    I dont fancy my chances with the zombies that will probably roam the earth afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Lorelli! wrote: »
    I wouldn't even want to think about it.

A poster mentioned the documentary style film called Threads by the BBC in the 80's in the film forum a while ago and I watched it. Its about the effect of a nuclear attack set in Sheffield. It was the most terrifying and disturbing film I've ever seen. Honestly I did not feel normal for about three days after watching it. :/

Thought that was a comedy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,343 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Yester wrote: »
    Flashpoint 5 someone goes Whoops on India vs Pakistan

India and Pakistan would be a local dispute and wouldn't affect Ireland. Both countries only have low yield weapons with limited range.

Unless UK or Ireland was hit directly we wouldn't have an issue re fallout to a great extent. Obviously the world economy would crash if any country launched a nuke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Plan, prepare, execute. You'd certainly be wanting to exclude some of the whinny folks here from your team selection.
    Just think of it as a challenging 3wk adventure holiday to endure, with 'slight climate and environmental extremes'.

Extremely low chance of getting a sun-tan in this part of the world, but no harm in stocking up on essentials:
    Day 1-3: Crank radio+torch, water, bars, tins, vitamins, sea salt and Brazil nuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Patww79 wrote: »

Yes ok then, dark chocolate. The Brazils Nuts are handy for selenium, and thus better iodine uptake from the sea salt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Advertisement

That depends on acute localisation and EB updates via radio, if you're already East coast, urban and surrounded by the grey tracksuit types, you'd probably want to be well on the way to somewhere else.

Essentially you'd adopt a temporary lifestyle, not dissimilar to our 'traveling brethren'. The ability to quickly skin rabbits would then become a more highly valued skill, than preventing php malware code injections or cleaning carburetors and replacing valve heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

I still have those iodine tablets the government sent to everyone years ago so I'll be grand..sure the government wouldnt lie to us right??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Today is actually the 72nd anniversary of the Hiroshima bombing ... I know that because the priest at mass today said a Prayer of the Faithful for the victims ... random!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,107 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Marshall Law britches, you live, you die, you live, you die. I'm an Ab Ab type man just be in an odd sequence while passing me by and you're safe till your not.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Smurfette principle

That sound bleak man. Most of our wind comes from the south west so we might have a chance if it was just London getting bombed. However if it comes to a stage where London is getting bombed I reckon we are going to get it too. I have read conflicting sources on how long radiation would be a problem, the most optimistic being 5 weeks. i think i could hole up for that long but as you suggest, what would you be coming out to?
    I'm thinking the best option would be to run. Iceland here I come. and if it's not safe there I'll keep going north. I'll bring my coats.

5 weeks is just the initial fallout, basically how long it will be before you can walk out your door and not get a severe case of radiation sunburn but after that there will be a dust cloud (like the one that killed the dinosaurs only ours will be radiated too) that will get everywhere (kind of like hazy rain that soaks you to the skin but you don't notice until you are saturated) oh yeah speaking of rain that will be acid rain too and not the type that causes minor damage to original brickwork but the type that can melt through steel in 30 seconds.

And then lets imagine you survive all that, manage to create a colony and 15 years later probably 30 or so of you even raise a few animals and become self sustaining by that point all the military and politicians who hid themselves in big massive bunkers on the first day will be running out of food themselves so will think nothing of just taking yours for their greater good and leaving you to starve because they will have bullets whereas you won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭delboythedub

Grab my credit card and go to the pub

• Registered Users Posts: 22,349 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I was watching the start of The Road yesterday, bleak

Thanks, because of you I'm now watching the road.

The horror!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Currently in Western Australia at the moment, I reckon I'd be fine just staying where I am. I would be worried about the lack of food though, the state basically imports everything except fruit and beef.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,349 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Akrasia wrote: »
    Thanks, because of you I'm now watching the road.

The horror!

Its almost over. You bastard. Bleak doesn't cover it

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

That was oddly helpful. I need to stock up on batteries and get a radio.
    EMP will kill the radio
    Extremely low chance of getting a sun-tan in this part of the world,
    On August 29th, 1997, it's gonna feel pretty ****ing real to you too. Anybody not wearing 2 million sunblock is gonna have a real bad day. Get it?
    - Sarah Connor:

Gatling wrote: »
    I remember a story doing the rounds , where a group of US soldiers (6) stood directly under a nuclear weapon detonated mid air and all survived into old age apparently ,
    Fake News.

They were Air Force not soldiers ;)

http://www.npr.org/sections/krulwich/2012/07/16/156851175/five-men-agree-to-stand-directly-under-an-exploding-nuclear-bomb
    18,500 feet above them, the missile is detonated and blows up. Which means, these men intentionally stood directly underneath an exploding 2-kiloton nuclear bomb.
    Low yield, high altitude, no dust to cause fallout.

The Tsar Bomba at full yield would have been 50,000 times more powerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,109 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Jawgap wrote: »
    I'm not sure what you were reading but when historians and snslysts were given access to the Soviet era archives in the late 1990s they found that the Soviets had a lot fewer nukes aimed at Western Europe than originally thought.......even the UK had 'only' 12 nukes (mostly large yield airburst devices) aimed at them.

Ireland had none......zero......aimed at it. The Soviets didn't regard anything here as strategically consequential. Shannon, Knonck etc are not strategic. They're just runways, of which there are plenty in Europe.

The biggest threat was from fallout and EMP bursts. So I think my strategy would've been to head west.

G'wan outta that. Everyone knows Reagan built the runway at Knock for the aul' B-52s.

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

oh yeah speaking of rain that will be acid rain too and not the type that causes minor damage to original brickwork but the type that can melt through steel in 30 seconds.
    Eh wut? Pure sulphuric acid won't do that, never mind acid rain where concentrations would be far lower.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Esel wrote: »
    G'wan outta that. Everyone knows Reagan built the runway at Knock for the aul' B-52s.

Always thought it was the CIA ;)

Anyway, they didn't build it big enough....... a fully laden B-52H has a take-off run of about 8,000 feet and the runway at Knock is only 7700 feet......never mind the lack of ramp space to take a B-52 or really anything bigger than a 767.....and the lack of re-fuelling facilities.

.....plus the various REFORGER (Return of Forces to Germany) exercises don't include any airfields on this island, except for emergency diversions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

troyzer wrote: »
    Currently in Western Australia at the moment, I reckon I'd be fine just staying where I am. I would be worried about the lack of food though, the state basically imports everything except fruit and beef.

Have a read of On The Beach by Nevil Shute...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Gatling wrote: »
    I remember a story doing the rounds , where a group of US soldiers (6) stood directly under a nuclear weapon detonated mid air and all survived into old age apparently ,

But in serious situation running to hills won't do you a lot of good unless you know some kind of bush craft

Ya that happened, but it was detonated at something like 5 kilimoters and was a tiny 1.5kt bomb ( for comparison the largest bomb detonated was 50,000,000 tons and 1.5kt is 1,500 tons).
    The 1.5kt bomb would only have a blast radius of 300 meters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Bag of cans and hit the beach..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Ya that happened, but it was detonated at something like 5 kilimoters and was a tiny 1.5kt bomb ( for comparison the largest bomb detonated was 50,000,000 tons and 1.5kt is 1,500 tons).
    The 1.5kt bomb would only have a blast radius of 300 meters

Advertisement