Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avoca cafe : smaller scones?!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,545 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    I know dogs will eat anything but my cousins' sh*t sue used love scones.

There's a bang of incest off that statement..... I just can't quite pinpoint it.....

Aggressive Mums in 4x4s in the car park.:o:o:mad:

Like a 747 taxiing out. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

It's a niche market, I hear Howitzer are bringing out a 4x4 range specifically aimed (;)) at it....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,068 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Family Gal wrote: »
    Hi All

Visited Aviva Rathcoole today in anticipation of scoffing an oversized scone whilst my other half put a half-chicken dinner in his cross-hairs

Horror

My scone appeared smaller and less overgrown than previous visits and his dinner plate seemed smaller in circumference ( as did other plates belonging to surrounding diners).

Before Avocas' supersize portions overshadowed high prices but now........

#myfirstworldproblem#

Did you not see the farmers giving out about the weather...bad year for growing scones this year apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

http://vernasrecipes.norseaodyssey.com/Breads/Breakfast_Treats/Avoca_Scones/avoca_scones.htm
    There you go. Same scones minus the serving of rip off.
    I've made these a few times, they are sooo good.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Panjandrums

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

In Avoca?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

sure why would you even get out of bed when things like this are currantly going on in the world?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Family Gal wrote: »
    Hi All

Visited Aviva Rathcoole today in anticipation of scoffing an oversized scone whilst my other half put a half-chicken dinner in his cross-hairs

Horror

My scone appeared smaller and less overgrown than previous visits and his dinner plate seemed smaller in circumference ( as did other plates belonging to surrounding diners).

Before Avocas' supersize portions overshadowed high prices but now........

#myfirstworldproblem#

The place with all the travellers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Patww79 wrote: »

Wait ....... they have an Avoca Cafe in Rathkeale?
    No wonder I see all those new 4x4's and new BMW's in the town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Any word from Avoca on this query?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

me_irl wrote: »
    Good God!

*monocle falls out*

Speaking of... how do you pronounce it, "scone" or "scone"?

Ayther will do

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭upandcumming

I went to Avoca once and got a full Irish... loads of leaves on it. Never again.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

me_irl wrote: »
    Good God!

*monocle falls out*

Speaking of... how do you pronounce it, "scone" or "scone"?

Ayther will do

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Jesus Wept wrote: »
    Any word from Avoca on this query?

Pfft, they use the posh boards, they wouldn't lower themselves to AH standards

hairyslug wrote: »
    ....posh boards,

Planks.ie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

The food is definitely not as nice and its way too expensive. That doesnt bother the mummies in the huge jeeps and thats the target market.

No one in Avoca can make a nice cup of tea so I stopped going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

Pfft, they use the posh boards, they wouldn't lower themselves to AH standards
    Planks.ie?

boards.ie (Paul Costelloe Living special edition)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Used to work in the Avoca store in Avoca, 1 free scone a day, was about the only perk of the job.

Anyway, when they were bought over, they changed supplier for most of the food stuffs to a company already owned by the new owners, could explain the change is size of the scone, or maybe your hands got bigger and everything in them looks smaller.

Never know it was bought out, that explains the three new shops they're opening. Pity as they do a decent sandwich in Kilmac even considering its €5 odd, they use decent ham, chicken and fillings. Pain in the hole to get in and out of the place though..

glynf wrote: »
    Never know it was bought out, that explains the three new shops they're opening. Pity as they do a decent sandwich in Kilmac even considering its €5 odd, they use decent ham, chicken and fillings. Pain in the hole to get in and out of the place though..

Aramark bought them over, the family are still running things for now I think, while Avoca is well over priced, the food was good, aramark are not known for their high quality though, I would compare it more with hospital food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Robsweezie wrote: »
    sure why would you even get out of bed when things like this are currantly going on in the world?

To you it might seem trivial, but for some people it's their whole raisin for living.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Aramark bought them over, the family are still running things for now I think, while Avoca is well over priced, the food was good, aramark are not known for their high quality though, I would compare it more with hospital food.

Not a good sign when a glorified facilities managment company is involved-hopefully they don't run it into the ground :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

tretorn wrote: »

No one in Avoca can make a nice cup of tea so I stopped going.

They give you a teabag in a pot.....I think you're probably boycotting the wrong people!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

They give you a teabag in a pot.....I think you're probably boycotting the wrong people!

The pots are probably filled from a coffee machine so the water isn't hot enough, leading to gank tea.

When I take over this will be a hanging offence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

I was in avoca a few weeks ago. Did not notice the size of the scones but I did notice the loons who sat beside me and did not have tea with their scones. They had coffee.
    Nutjobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Panjandrums

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Companies shouldn't be allowed to diversify right? Aramark have been in charge of Croke Park catering for years.
    The vast majority of the food there isn't fine dining but that doesn't mean that they can't fine dining.
    Aramark do the corporate box catering aswell in Croke Park which costs the box holder about 100 euro pp for a match depending on what you want to offer your guests.

3 years; and it went downhill when Fitzers lost the deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

kylith wrote: »
    The pots are probably filled from a coffee machine so the water isn't hot enough, leading to gank tea.

When I take over this will be a hanging offence.

I want in.
    Winterlong wrote: »
    I was in avoca a few weeks ago. Did not notice the size of the scones but I did notice the loons who sat beside me and did not have tea with their scones. They had coffee.
    Nutjobs.

Next up for the gallows. Would refuse them service at minimum and show them the door.

Companies shouldn't be allowed to diversify right? Aramark have been in charge of Croke Park catering for years.
    The vast majority of the food there isn't fine dining but that doesn't mean that they can't fine dining.
    Aramark do the corporate box catering aswell in Croke Park which costs the box holder about 100 euro pp for a match depending on what you want to offer your guests.

There's a difference between laying a decent table and serving a decent meal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Yeah so what. The food quality in Avoca has gone downhill since Aramark took it over.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement