Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avoca cafe : smaller scones?!!!

Options
  • 04-08-2017 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi All

Visited Aviva Rathcoole today in anticipation of scoffing an oversized scone whilst my other half put a half-chicken dinner in his cross-hairs

Horror

My scone appeared smaller and less overgrown than previous visits and his dinner plate seemed smaller in circumference ( as did other plates belonging to surrounding diners).

Before Avocas' supersize portions overshadowed high prices but now........

#myfirstworldproblem#

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Aviva sell scones in rathcoole?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Good God!

*monocle falls out*

Speaking of... how do you pronounce it, "scone" or "scone"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Once it's pronounced scones and not that weird British 'Scanes'

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭alberto67

No way! Going there tomorrow, will let you know if they are smaller or if you just got a bad batch.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Syphonax

Musint be able to weave their hands as good as they use too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

me_irl wrote: »
    Good God!

*monocle falls out*

's-cone' is the normal here, 's-con' fi you're a bit posh, and stick a few h's in of you're from the wesht.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Its pronounced scones not scones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Used to work in the Avoca store in Avoca, 1 free scone a day, was about the only perk of the job.

Anyway, when they were bought over, they changed supplier for most of the food stuffs to a company already owned by the new owners, could explain the change is size of the scone, or maybe your hands got bigger and everything in them looks smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I will not darken their door if this turns out to be true.

I hope you flung yourself from the foodhall, flung yourself past the lavender soaps, flung your handbag in the back of your white-striped Mini Cooper, and got the hell out of there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,156 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Good God!

*monocle falls out*

the second one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Good God!

*monocle falls out*

I know dogs will eat anything but my cousins' sh*t sue used love scones.

Long since dead now. (in a non scone-related incident.)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

The C in scone is silent and the E is pronounced "eh"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭Archeron

hairyslug wrote: »
    or maybe your hands got bigger and everything in them looks smaller.

Maybe the scones are further away than they used to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭AllForIt

When your eating it it's sc.goin and when you've eaten it all, its sc.gone

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Reminds me of the time I frequented an as yet unfamiliar coffee establishment and asked for a cappuccino at the bar. I was feeling like an old school, plain Jane beverage for a change.

Would you like a regular or large she enquired..... Well I stupidly didn't ask what the difference was or see the cup sizes and reluctantly proffered my €3.50 for a regular. A few minutes later I was handed what could only be described as a thimble on a saucer. I had a strongly worded mutter to myself that day, I can tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Family Gal

Archeron wrote: »
    Maybe the scones are further away than they used to be?

No Ted I always keep close guard on my scone

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    I know dogs will eat anything but my cousins' sh*t sue used love scones.

Long since dead now. (in a non scone-related incident.)

Why was Sue shit?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The food quality and standard of service in Avoca outlets is gone downhill since Aramark took over.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

The food quality and standard of service in Avoca outlets is gone downhill since Aramark took over.

Aramark do the food for some prisons in the States, don't they?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

D'ya think they get jam with their scones in prison, or would they have to eat them dry? No butter, no jam, no cream.

Or would that be cruel and unusual?

D'ya think they get jam with their scones in prison, or would they have to eat them dry? No butter, no jam, no cream.

Or would that be cruel and unusual?

Do you think they even get scones?

Terry Pratchet

Family Gal wrote: »
    Hi All

Visited Aviva Rathcoole today in anticipation of scoffing an oversized scone whilst my other half put a half-chicken dinner in his cross-hairs

Horror

My scone appeared smaller and less overgrown than previous visits and his dinner plate seemed smaller in circumference ( as did other plates belonging to surrounding diners).

Before Avocas' supersize portions overshadowed high prices but now........

#myfirstworldproblem#

My last Avoca experience:
    €14.50 for a single slice of quiche!

Do you think they even get scones?

What else would they have with their tea?

:confused:

Nothing

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 18,875 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Since it's the USA it'll be iced tea as that is the default unless you specify hot tea, so a bit of sunbathing and maybe a massage later in the lounge.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Aggressive Mums in 4x4s in the car park.:o:o:mad:

Like a 747 taxiing out. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I HATE avoca. A tenner for a sausage roll? But you can have some lettuce leaves with it. Yeah well you can suck the back of my balls with your tenner. The biggest rip off merchants going. Like the one in town that automatically adds the "service charge" to your coffee. Thanks but if I'm happy with the service I'll leave my own tip.

Advertisement