Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2017-18: Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Meanwhile, in the high Arctic, the sun has finally begun to peak over the horizon again. Ny Alesund, Svalbard/Spitsbergen (79 degrees North latitude)

DWeTyVWX0AAxyQh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 48,148 ✭✭✭✭km79

Gorgeous day

• Registered Users Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

km79 wrote: »
    Gorgeous day

Ditto, beautiful, actually felt spring like. There's a shock to the system to come!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

During the morning, it felt cold at Grange in the sun. The birds were singing beautifully. Then it warmed up and honestly, the temperatures were perfect! I wish there were more days like this if there was no snow. Although to be fair, February 2018 has brought some very nice sunny days here in the east. This has to be the best month since May of last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Brilliant day here, was out on the bike earlier and it was perfect, even felt a little warm in the sun, still a clear sky and feels very cool now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Beautiful day in kildare today blue sky's and fine bit of warmth in the sun, still very little singes of spring starting

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Beautiful day. Seeing the light blue in the sky is a great boost. Bit of warmth in the sun too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Glorious day so badly needed to. The thought of freezing temps travel disruption and general inconvenience being speculated on for next week is truly painful for me as someone who does a 125 mile daily commute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

Just confirmed on Six One Weather that temps will drop to around 5c from Saturday with winds coming from Siberia. So it looks like the east could be the first to see some snow from next week onwards.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

today was a peach of a day here, almost unbroken sunshine and gin blue skies. It's been a long time since we've seen that.

• Advertisement

Gonzo wrote: »
    today was a peach of a day here, almost unbroken sunshine and gin blue skies. It's been a long time since we've seen that.

Really? I've had multiple days of that this month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 755 ✭✭✭NAGDEFI

It's going to be fun when the Spring thread opens on March 1st!!:D Hopefully the coldest start to Spring we'll all have witnessed:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Really? I've had multiple days of that this month.

we had many days which came close but there was always some cloud. Today I didn't see the sun go behind clouds once!.

Buckle up lads, ME mentioned the possibility of next week after the news.

This place is gonna go into meltdown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Next week is more than a possibility.

Please don't use the word melt until Paddy's Day!

I am so excited.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Great day in Kerry , frosty start getting down to 1.7C and rose to 10.7C and nice sunshine all day, cooling down again now to 3.5C under clear skies.

Pic Early morning Ardfert Cathedral today.

sADPN4T.jpg?1

Oh great, just what I need, Boards.ie to break for me all over again. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭sumtings

Great day in Kerry , frosty start getting down to 1.7C and rose to 10.7C and nice sunshine all day, cooling down again now to 3.5C under clear skies.

Pic Early morning Ardfert Cathedral today.

Great pic!
    Would love to see next week in the snow!

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭sunflower3

Just to start the coming cold spell.....warning from Met eireann -

STATUS YELLOW

Low Temperature Warning for Ireland
    Lowest temperatures of minus 3 Celsius expected overnight.

Issued:Tuesday 20 February 2018 17:00
    Valid:Wednesday 21 February 2018 02:00 to Wednesday 21 February 2018 10:00

sunflower3 wrote: »
    Just to start the coming cold spell.....warning from Met eireann -

STATUS YELLOW

Low Temperature Warning for Ireland
    Lowest temperatures of minus 3 Celsius expected overnight.

Issued:Tuesday 20 February 2018 17:00
    Valid:Wednesday 21 February 2018 02:00 to Wednesday 21 February 2018 10:00

Thus is exactly why people will take no heed of any warning next week
    Do we REALLY need a warning tonight ?????

• Advertisement

Oh just one more thing I almost forgot (for the second time in the past week). Stratosphere charts updated to the 19th February.

Big spike up at 30hPa - like I had expected, spike down at 10hPa.

AA0MWMK.gif

lF6Kh9u.gif

Stratosphere charts updated to the 20th February, spikes down at both levels.

a2W02k5.gif

c3bL3Y5.gif

EDIT: This is the link I get the charts from: http://ds.data.jma.go.jp/tcc/tcc/products/clisys/STRAT/

Some people already in meltdown in the other thread and its not even thursday yet, haha

Funny day here, no cloud and sun early this morning, clouded over for a couple of hours only to clear again and now back to cloud, feels cold in the breeze

Some people already in meltdown in the other thread and its not even thursday yet, haha

A bit ironic too. Out where I am, it has felt like Spring today in the sunshine and more blue skies like yesterday. That is unless I'm standing in shelter or the shadows where I feel a cool breeze.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    A bit ironic too. Out where I am, it has felt like Spring today in the sunshine and more blue skies like yesterday. That is unless I'm standing in shelter or the shadows where I feel a cool breeze.

Yeah like i said above, we had 2 spells of spring like weather and 2 spells of winter type weather here today, as me granny used to say, you'd catch a fierce cold on days like this

Just
    Lovely
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Another fabulous day here in West Clare, slightly lower max of 9.7c here (max of 10.6c yesterday) and a low of 0.0c this morning, and an amazing frost considering the not so low temperature.

Another plus, the land should really start drying out over the next few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,677 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Storm 10 View Post
    Not sure about all you guys but this is where I would like to be today, Fuengirola Beach live view

https://www.webcamfuengirola.com/webcam-paseo/

It's not for me. I'm glad to be here awaiting the snow arrivals from Mother Russia

Advertisement