Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Round 0 2017

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 westawake35

JS0692 wrote: »
    Same boat myself with UL, got 54 so right below the cut off. Have you contacted their admissions?
    I checked there for you and last year UCD stayed at 59* from round 0 to final round, but RCSI went from 59 to 58*. Ring them and ask where you are on the waiting list. The people with 59 will be ahead of you but it's not impossible

I haven't contacted them personally but I saw someone else on here did and they were told that were quite a few 59s waiting so it's not looking too hopeful but we'll see. I'd be confident you will get Limerick with 54 in a later round keep the faith! ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 7 rz1990

JS0692 wrote: »
    Same boat myself with UL, got 54 so right below the cut off. Have you contacted their admissions?
    I checked there for you and last year UCD stayed at 59* from round 0 to final round, but RCSI went from 59 to 58*. Ring them and ask where you are on the waiting list. The people with 59 will be ahead of you but it's not impossible

I am also on 54 and actually emailed UL admissions yesterday. They replied saying that I wasn't on the list for offers on Monday and are doubtful of having any further offers in subsequent rounds. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Celestial12

rz1990 wrote: »
    I am also on 54 and actually emailed UL admissions yesterday. They replied saying that I wasn't on the list for offers on Monday and are doubtful of having any further offers in subsequent rounds. :(

Sorry to hear that. Did they mention if the people receiving offers were on a score of 54? Will you sit the GAMSAT again in September?

Sorry to hear that. Did they mention if the people receiving offers were on a score of 54? Will you sit the GAMSAT again in September?

They didn't specify the scores for Monday's offers so I'm not sure. I didn't apply for the Sept exam sitting so I'm considering the March exam instead. Will you be sitting the exam next month?

rz1990 wrote: »
    They didn't specify the scores for Monday's offers so I'm not sure. I didn't apply for the Sept exam sitting so I'm considering the March exam instead. Will you be sitting the exam next month?

Yes, sitting for the first time next month. My preparation hasn't been great but I'll take a week off in the run up to the exam. I'm not going to have time to cover everything for the September exam, but might be able to do enough to scrape through... I'll just have to wait and see!

Best of luck in March if you decide to sit again. You're on 54 now so chances are you'll get an offer next year if you sit the exam again.

• Advertisement

Yes, sitting for the first time next month. My preparation hasn't been great but I'll take a week off in the run up to the exam. I'm not going to have time to cover everything for the September exam, but might be able to do enough to scrape through... I'll just have to wait and see!

Best of luck in March if you decide to sit again. You're on 54 now so chances are you'll get an offer next year if you sit the exam again.

Best of luck with it! Best to even get the experience even if you aren't ready for it. It's such a weird exam, and coming from an Arts degree, it was quite a challenge for me. But getting a chance to sit it really helped understand how to tackle it, even in the slightest of ways.

Hey guys, did anyone get higher choices today? I'm a little gutted surgeons went to 58* and still no offer..unfortunately its too big a move at the moment for me to move to Limerick so someone else has received that place today which gives me a bit of comfort! This system is not fun.

Hey guys, did anyone get higher choices today? I'm a little gutted surgeons went to 58* and still no offer..unfortunately its too big a move at the moment for me to move to Limerick so someone else has received that place today which gives me a bit of comfort! This system is not fun.

Sorry to hear that you didn't get a place. Are you going to try again next year?

Hey Celestial, I'm not sure. If I can organise myself to be able to move to Limerick next year I'd be hopeful that I will be offered a place there again on 58. I will consider sitting the exam again in March but such is the nature of the GAMSAT you can study further for it and end up with a lower mark. We should adopt the approach of other countries whereby your GAMSAT score plus an interview (to make sure you are compatible to medicine as a career) are used in combination to obtain places. There's just something that doesn't feel right about this current situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 cloudmed

We should adopt the approach of other countries whereby your GAMSAT score plus an interview (to make sure you are compatible to medicine as a career) are used in combination to obtain places. There's just something that doesn't feel right about this current situation.

Sorry to hear you didn't get RCSI this round. Do try again next year if you still think it's the best thing for you! Don't give up now. :)

I understand your frustration at having the GAMSAT as the only mode of acceptance - especially as you are on the cusp. In the UK and Aus they use interviews, however because Ireland is so small and the medical/academic sectors are even smaller, having interviews would open up a huge can of worms ripe for nepotism. While it's not always a reflection of who will make the best doctor, I think the GAMSAT by itself remains the fairest assessment method for Ireland as nobody gets in because of ~who they know~ and an fairly equal footing for everyone.

• Advertisement

I agree with you re Possibility of Nepotism at interview stage although the chances could be minimised with neutral interviewers involved. They also need to look at the ratio of Irish to International students taking places at these colleges. Of course the institutions need capital to keep the ship afloat but the Government should at least introduce a law that requires qualified medical students (Irish or International) to remain and practice in Ireland for at least 3 years before leaving the country. Look at the pressure on the health system at the moment it's outrageous and the poor contracts and working conditions for medics is certainly not helping.

Apply again next year. I think you should sit the GAMSAT again, unless you think UL can work for you. You've nothing to lose by sitting the exam again. 58 is a good score, was it your first attempt? Although it's true that you could go down, if you make a marginal improvement then that will be all you'll need. Even if the points go up next year, 60/61 would probably be the maximum. You can always use the 58 to get into UL if you don't improve.

I agree with cloudmed re the interview process. In Australia they need much higher GAMSAT scores to secure an interview. Their system also favours those from a rural background (they can get an interview with a lower score), so I don't think it's fair. Here, it's clear what we need. Get the score and you're in.

Advertisement