Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Round 0 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 JJ56

Cut-offs up now. check - go to on the CAO page: 1) Media and statistics, 2) Points by year (choose this year), 3) and you'll see a link for round 0 offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 stapler123

JJ56 wrote: »
    Cut-offs up now. check - go to on the CAO page: 1) Media and statistics, 2) Points by year (choose this year), 3) and you'll see a link for round 0 offers.
    Round Zero from CAO website
    UCD 59*
    RCSI 59*
    UCC 58*
    UL 55

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭inca2

Here they are!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MK089

Hi congratulations on the results!

I got offered Limerick with 58 but wanted Cork or Dublin (wishful thinking) - any idea if there is another offer before round 1 on the 21st considering the deadline for round 0 is on the 10th?

I'm signed up for the exam in September anyway :( I was hoping 58 would be enough for Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 brokeasfeck

Kirby2k07 wrote: »
    Congratulations guys! Did you have UL as your first choice?

I had UL as my first choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Celestial12

No major change in the points this year then. I guess the altered curve had no effect on the process. Have any of them increased?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 tatatata85

Congratulations!!!! Got to UL! Guys, anybody commuting from Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 JS0692

MK089 wrote: »
    Hi congratulations on the results!

I got offered Limerick with 58 but wanted Cork or Dublin (wishful thinking) - any idea if there is another offer before round 1 on the 21st considering the deadline for round 0 is on the 10th?

I'm signed up for the exam in September anyway :( I was hoping 58 would be enough for Cork.

I just rang CAO. There'll be no offers made between now and the 21st. It's a balls, I'm praying for UL with a score of 54.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 conal11

Hang in there Jso692. You never know. There have been offers for under cut off score in recent years. Hi Tatatata85. I'm deciding between commuting from cork city or else getting accommodation up there. Haven't decided yet. Where you commuting from

JS0692 wrote: »
    I just rang CAO. There'll be no offers made between now and the 21st. It's a balls, I'm praying for UL with a score of 54.

There's no official CAO offers but the individual colleges do make offers constantly. Ring them and ask where you are on their waiting list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 nikita_can_run

Got and accepted the offer for UL with the cut off of 55 points! Anyone planning on commuting from Dublin?? Sounds crazy but I can't really relocate because my husband has to stay here :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3 KR777

I was in the exact position last year,I wasnt offered a place at Round 0. I think the people you need to stay in touch with are UL. There will be no official CAO offers but UL may call you and inform you that you are in line for an offer when they are next due. You you will have been put on a waiting list and I rang the admissions office everyday after I didn't get an offer and about
    after about 10 days they rang me and offered me a place! I also know of about 5 people at least who were offered places well after me in September so keep at them! Best of luck!

KR777 wrote: »
    I was in the exact position last year,I wasnt offered a place at Round 0. I think the people you need to stay in touch with are UL. There will be no official CAO offers but UL may call you and inform you that you are in line for an offer when they are next due. You you will have been put on a waiting list and I rang the admissions office everyday after I didn't get an offer and about
    after about 10 days they rang me and offered me a place! I also know of about 5 people at least who were offered places well after me in September so keep at them! Best of luck!

Thank you! You've literally just made my day. Just got an email back from UL while writing this, they said that after the reply date of the 10th of August they will be reviewing all applicants again. They said to ring after this date to see if its likely or unlikely if I'd be offered a place. My nan's candle budget is after sky rocketing.

Thank you! You've literally just made my day. Just got an email back from UL while writing this, they said that after the reply date of the 10th of August they will be reviewing all applicants again. They said to ring after this date to see if its likely or unlikely if I'd be offered a place. My nan's candle budget is after sky rocketing.

Im telling you, pester them as much as you can (within reason)! I just called and called most days to check and eventually got a phone call about 10 days or so later. Also remember that there will be a huge shift in places as the other colleges start to offer places through second round so don't give up just yet! Fingers and toe crossed for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 cloudmed

inca2 wrote: »
    What scores did people get in on? Intrigued to see if there was much change and I think it takes a few days for CAO to publish the cut-offs.

UCD with 66!

stapler123 wrote: »
    UCD with 60 ! Delighted can't see CAO scores anywhere yet what did everyone else get curious what RCSI was
    Also got into UCD with a score of 61! Looking forward to meeting everyone!
    eruthia wrote: »
    Thanks guys! Found an offer for UCD!!

Hello classmates!!!! :pac::D Can't wait to meet you all!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 coolbeanz93

Got Ul with a score of 59, missed out on the lotto in UCD. Is there any point in hassling UCD admissions everyday to see if there are places or will it be a lotto regardless? Delighted to get UL but just thinking of costs.

Got Ul with a score of 59, missed out on the lotto in UCD. Is there any point in hassling UCD admissions everyday to see if there are places or will it be a lotto regardless? Delighted to get UL but just thinking of costs.

From my experience, there's a defined waiting list and they'll be able to tell you if it's likely or unlikely that you'll be offered a place. So yes, keep contacting them. There's usually quite a bit of movement when people decline offers and spaces free up. I know last year in RCSI, the initial cut-off was 59 and there was something like 15 people waiting on 58. When the cut-off dropped to 58*, I believe something like 9 people got offered places. Unfortunately, I was number 15 on the random waiting list :P but I am delighted with how things worked out. Thoroughly enjoyed my year in Limerick :)

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Cymini Sectores

Congrats to everyone. If you got an offer (that you aren't happy about) or not, it's early days. Places will become available for one reason or the other.
    If you think you aren't getting in this year because of a low score, my commiserations. Just re-sit the exam.
    Med school is great.

Good luck y'all

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Kirby2k07

What's the craic from here guys? The cutoffs might hop down down a point by the 21st?

Kirby2k07 wrote: »
    What's the craic from here guys? The cutoffs might hop down down a point by the 21st?

It's possible! It will all depend on how many people don't accept the offers or defer. It's more likely that the random entry * will go to full entry at the points or to random entry a point lower.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭ChromosomeT

Hi there. I got a score of 50 in the last Gamsat exam and I'm just wondering would I even stand a chance at pestering UL to see if I stood a chance for admission especially after I submitted a scholarship? I have booked the September gamsat anyway too

• Registered Users Posts: 17 brokeasfeck

Hi Chromosome T,

The round zero cut-off was 55 for UL and everyone with a score of 55 got offered a place. I would say over the next rounds that offers may be made at random for those who got a score of 54. I don't think a score of 50 would get you in this year. All I can say is that last year I sat the GAMSAT twice and improved my score by 6 points overall. If you sit the GAMSAT again and improve your score to a 55/56/57, you will have more hope this time next year. Did you get confirmation that you got the scholarship for UL? If so, you may get it again next year if your circumstances haven't changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 coolbeanz93

cloudmed wrote: »
    It's possible! It will all depend on how many people don't accept the offers or defer. It's more likely that the random entry * will go to full entry at the points or to random entry a point lower.

I gave UCD a buzz and they said there were a lot of people on 59. They didn't give me the impression that I was likely to get a place.

I gave UCD a buzz and they said there were a lot of people on 59. They didn't give me the impression that I was likely to get a place.

Damn. Looking at Round 0 vs Final over the years UCD doesn't really shift in points whatsoever so that's not a big surprise.

What CAO course order did you apply for?

Also, look, at the end of the day you're going somewhere and you'll be a doctor one day!

cloudmed wrote: »
    Damn. Looking at Round 0 vs Final over the years UCD doesn't really shift in points whatsoever so that's not a big surprise.

What CAO course order did you apply for?

Also, look, at the end of the day you're going somewhere and you'll be a doctor one day!

Where do find the final points? Thought they just released round 0

Where do find the final points? Thought they just released round 0

Under the regular Level 8 points PDFs for each year. Medicine is listed as Medicine (Graduate Entry) and it gives the final and median for each one.

Here's last year's: http://www2.cao.ie/points/lvl8_16.pdf

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

Mod note

Newry Commuter, please don't post the same thing in multiple threads.

Limerick gave me the exaxt same impression last year when I rang them at this stage and at least 6 of us got offered a place after Round 0 offers. I think they have to hold a certain degree of professionalism in the sense that they cannot express any notion that there are places up for grabs - so dont lose hope just yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 westawake35

Hi All, got Limerick with 58 but a little gutted to be honest. Due to the fact I'm 35 and live in Dublin with accommodation already sorted etc I was really pinning my hopes on obtaining a place in a Dublin school. The fact that UCD and RCSI are 59* does it mean 58 is a non runner for sure? Congrats to all by the way and to those who just fell short keep going I know people who sat the GAMSAT multiple times for getting their place!

• Advertisement

Hi All, got Limerick with 58 but a little gutted to be honest. Due to the fact I'm 35 and live in Dublin with accommodation already sorted etc I was really pinning my hopes on obtaining a place in a Dublin school. The fact that UCD and RCSI are 59* does it mean 58 is a non runner for sure? Congrats to all by the way and to those who just fell short keep going I know people who sat the GAMSAT multiple times for getting their place!

Same boat myself with UL, got 54 so right below the cut off. Have you contacted their admissions?
    I checked there for you and last year UCD stayed at 59* from round 0 to final round, but RCSI went from 59 to 58*. Ring them and ask where you are on the waiting list. The people with 59 will be ahead of you but it's not impossible

Advertisement