Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Round 0 2017

Options
  • 02-08-2017 9:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi all,

So CAO Round 0 comes out tomorrow at 6am. At the moment I'm trying to concentrate on trying to distract myself until then. The 21-hour countdown. If anyone wants to share their distraction methods, please do!

So, what is everyone thinking the cut-offs will be this year? Despite the weird shift in the curve, I reckon the cut-offs will stay relatively the same as they were last year. I don't think they'll go up all that much, if even.

:o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Celestial12

Best of luck to everyone waiting on offers tomorrow! :)

I'm not waiting on an offer, but will be this time next year as I'm sitting the GAMSAT in September. Registered 6 weeks ago and I've already lost motivation so need to step it up over the next six weeks! :P Hoping that knowing the cut-offs tomorrow will give me motivation as I'll know what I need to aim for.

Some people said that the curve change was due to all cohorts (Australia, Ireland and the U.K.) being grouped together. Australians tend to perform better as they need higher scores, so that could be it. I've also heard that section III was a lot easier in March, so perhaps there has been an increased score across the board, and that will be reflected in tomorrow's scores. Will the cut-offs be posted online? Thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 cloudmed

Thanks Celestial! Best of luck in the GAMSAT. It's a very difficult exam but definitely do-able. I came from a NSB and performed very well. If I can do it, anybody can :)

Yes, the entire cohort was grouped, so the Aussies shifted it. I didn't particularly find section 3 easy. It was very, very different from other years and required a LOT more reading and analysis vs science knowledge.

Since ACER standardises each year so they're comparable, I reckon they've done that for Ireland so this year and last year's cut-offs should be similar. It would be a bit ridiculous to see the points shoot up massively this year because of that.

Yes, the cut-offs will be posted by the CAO - usually in their "media and statistics" section in PDF format.

cloudmed wrote: »
    Thanks Celestial! Best of luck in the GAMSAT. It's a very difficult exam but definitely do-able. I came from a NSB and performed very well. If I can do it, anybody can :)

Yes, the entire cohort was grouped, so the Aussies shifted it. I didn't particularly find section 3 easy. It was very, very different from other years and required a LOT more reading and analysis vs science knowledge.

Since ACER standardises each year so they're comparable, I reckon they've done that for Ireland so this year and last year's cut-offs should be similar. It would be a bit ridiculous to see the points shoot up massively this year because of that.

Yes, the cut-offs will be posted by the CAO - usually in their "media and statistics" section in PDF format.

What score did you get if you don't me asking? Did you have to sit more than once?

I'm from a science background, but I never did physics and don't really know any organic chemistry, which is the bulk of the chemistry section from what I've seen. I've been reading pagingdr, and most of the advice on there seems to have been that the best way to prepare is to do practice questions. Kind of relieved to hear that, as I'm find reading notes very boring. Moving on to practice papers from Friday onwards. I'm hoping to get it first attempt as I have the safety net of sitting it again in March if necessary... The March exam will be much more pressurised if I do badly in September.

From reading over the threads here, it seems as though the points have remained pretty stable in Ireland over the years. I think UCD and RCSI used to be above 60 a few years back, and Limerick was as low as 53 at one point. I don't think there's been a change of more than 3 points from one year to the next so we'll see what happens tomorrow.

It could be that Acer are changing the exam slightly, people did say section III is now more reasoning based. So that should make it easier for those from a non-science background to do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Beariski01

17 hours and counting..... to say that I'm unproductive at work today is an understatement! I really home the points don't go up, im sitting on 58 points and hoping for UL!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Jack_L101

Hey guys! Best of luck to everyone tomorrow and hope we can all keep calm until 6am tomorrow :P Don't know whether I'm going to bother trying to sleep tonight or not haha

• Advertisement

Where are you guys hoping to get an offer from?

I'm hoping for RCSI myself but I'd honestly love to go anywhere. Good luck with UL dude! Looking at the cut-offs for the last few years I'd say you've got a really great chance of getting in tomorrow :)

Thanks! Good luck to you too, not long now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 CliodhnaC94

Not really seeing the point in sleeping at this stage, praying that there isn't a big jump tomorrow! Anyone else hoping for UCD?

Just six more hours to go! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 coolbeanz93

Got UL with a score of 59, anyone know the UCD cut off point?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭inca2

Congratulations (and commiserations :() to everyone who was waiting for offers this morning - I remember this day last year being so mixed, emotions-wise!

For anyone coming to Limerick, be sure to join this Facebook group! https://m.facebook.com/groups/195334984312373

Congrats... I'm officially a student again too!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 eruthia

Do all the offers go out at once? Or do they keep coming out all day?

Still waiting for any word...

• Registered Users Posts: 23 cloudmed

I hope everyone got what they wanted! Congrats to all. It's been a tough road here. I accepted UCD this morning so I hope to see some of you in September! Woo!

eruthia wrote: »

I didn't get an email and only seen the offer when I logged into my cao account. Offers might roll out through the day!

eruthia wrote: »

Check your CAO Application page if you haven't already. The offer should hopefully be there. If not, I'm not sure if they keep updating but good luck!

Congrats to everyone who got what they wanted! I accepted my offer to RCSI and now I'm sitting here wondering am I technically a fresher again :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6 eruthia

Thanks guys! Found an offer for UCD!!

Yay!! Congrats! I panicked too when 6 o'clock rolled around and there was no email

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭inca2

What scores did people get in on? Intrigued to see if there was much change and I think it takes a few days for CAO to publish the cut-offs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 stapler123

inca2 wrote: »
    What scores did people get in on? Intrigued to see if there was much change and I think it takes a few days for CAO to publish the cut-offs.

UCD with 60 ! Delighted can't see CAO scores anywhere yet what did everyone else get curious what RCSI was

• Registered Users Posts: 2 CliodhnaC94

inca2 wrote: »

Also got into UCD with a score of 61! Looking forward to meeting everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 brokeasfeck

Also got UL with 59!

Also got UL with 59!
    See you in September :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 trickski

Congrats to everyone who got an offer! Got an offer for RCSI with 61 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 conal11

Got UL. Congrats everyone. Great achievement. Anyone heading to UL and wants to discuss accommodation options PM me sure

Congrats everyone! Best wishes for the year ahead.

Does anybody know what time the cut offs are posted at?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 brokeasfeck

Congrats everyone! Best wishes for the year ahead.

Does anybody know what time the cut offs are posted at?

I remember last year the cut offs were available straight away.

Should be up on this link when it finally is updated
    http://www2.cao.ie/points/GraduateMedicine2017Round0.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Kirby2k07

Got UL with a score of 59, anyone know the UCD cut off point?
    Also got UL with 59!

Congratulations guys! Did you have UL as your first choice?

Advertisement