Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great contradiction of modern life.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

It seems as phones have gottten more advanced people are less likely to answer their phones it seems.

Also I can use my phone to tell the time and use my watch to answer a call

• Registered Users Posts: 28,401 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

368100 wrote: »
    Far enough to make it impractical carrying laptop, files etc...not to mention dangerous outside the summer on unlit country roads at 6am in the morning and 7pm in the evening.
    Backpacks and bike lights are your friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

You've so much extra time, but spend so much of it staring into a small screen.

Best Onion article: http://www.theonion.com/article/report-90-of-waking-hours-spent-staring-at-glowing-2747

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Deedsie wrote: »
    368100 wrote: »
    Far enough to make it impractical carrying laptop, files etc...not to mention dangerous outside the summer on unlit country roads at 6am in the morning and 7pm in the evening.

By all means highlight how people can save money and improve their health but to distinctly call out a correlation of all with reliance on a car to being a "big fat pos" is both ignorant and ludicrous.

I see you're a dublin cyclist so I could apply your method and say that "you all" believe that the universe revolves around you and your two wheels, but I know this is not the case as the majority live in the real world......unfortunately you seem to fall in the extreme minority.

A Dublin pedestrian & cyclist, originally from the Midwest (rural) and a frequent bus and train user. And a motorist and when required.

It might sound harsh, as I clearly intended it to sound harsh. You have to concede that sitting in a car 120 minutes a day is desperately bad for ones physical and mental health. Average car journey in Ireland is 2km...

I was just making the point that not everyone "needs a car" You and many others clearly do, but I think it's fair enough to highlight to people alternatives that will benefit their lives depending on their circumstance.

Well when you have the intelligence to phrase it as you have above, consider doing that in the first place without straight out insulting a wide range of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Noveight wrote: »
    Dublin can't get enough houses for people, rural Ireland can't get enough people for houses.

By Rural ireland you mean the rest of the country right. Not some backwater in the west. And guess what the problem is there. If there was a bit of investment in the rest of the country. There'd be no housing issue in Dublin. Instead of cramming everyone into one part of the country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

arayess wrote: »
    that is true.

I think biggest contradiction is that medical science is so advanced but so many people are shockingly unhealthy

Life expectancy has increased but shockingly unhealthy folk are so largely due to poor diet and low levels of exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

you drive 30 mins to a place where you then cycle a bike that goes nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,401 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

BailMeOut wrote: »
    you drive 30 mins to a place where you then cycle a bike that goes nowhere.

You forgot one bit - you drive 30 mins to a place where you fight to get the parking spot that leaves you with the shortest walk to the door then cycle a bike that goes nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I think the greatest contradiction and one that will one of the most prominent memories of our generations will be the emphasis we put on social media and connections yet how our friendships and family connections are getting less personal and strong if anything

• Advertisement
Advertisement