Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great contradiction of modern life.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I wonder how kids in school get any work done these days. So many distractions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Modern phones mean 24hr technical contactabilty

I am curious, do most people turn off their mobile phone at night? I know I always do.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,875 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Lorelli! wrote: »
    More photos than ever are taken by people but rarely developed.

I remember the joy of taking pictures with a film camera, going to the chemist with your 24 or 36 roll of pictures, handing over a substantial sum of money, waiting a few days (who could afford next day!) and then getting about 3/4 the amount back due to bad exposure and half the others being crap. We've boxes of printed photos that no one ever looks at same as we have thousands of digital photos we never look at.

The advantage with digital is that you can print the picture you want and will be sure it's good quality. Loads of people use digital photo frames, or photo screen savers, so instead of 1 picture you can few thousands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Apps and other technology that have been forced on us because someone found a solution to a problem that did not exist.

They claim to make things quicker or simpler but are actually 100 times worse than the old method.

Take the "new" revenue site. AI decides what it thinks is best for you..

Don't agree? Trip to the tax office to speak to a human just like the old days.

Anything that claims to have improved functionality means its harder and more messy to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Lorelli! wrote: »
    More photos than ever are taken by people but rarely developed.

I'd say that's not quite true. Years ago you got your roll of 12 or 24 photos developed and either put them in an album or more likely put them back in the envelope they came in and threw them in a drawer and never looked at them again whereas now I scroll through the photos on my phone and on my desk top at work reqularly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

prinzeugen wrote: »

Take the "new" revenue site. AI decides what it thinks is best for you..

Don't agree? Trip to the tax office to speak to a human just like the old days.

Trip to the tax office? You must be joking. Its worse than queuing in the bank.

Online answers 90% of questions. The other 10% are a phone call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

eeguy wrote: »
    Trip to the tax office? You must be joking. Its worse than queuing in the bank.

Online answers 90% of questions. The other 10% are a phone call.

Not if you want to allocate tax credits etc.. Several different employers so messy.

Could do that online once. Now the only option is the office as the online AI "thinks" for you and it is an idiot that thinks the population are idiots.

You can disagree with the AI but you have to fill out a form which basically is asking you why you think you are smarter than the computer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

A smart phone has more computing power than the entire control room in NASA did when they first sent man to the moon. Yet the users of these phones seem to be getting more and more stupid as is evident in the comment section of any YouTube video.

Young people have a wealth of information at their fingertips but are getting less and less interested in recent history. Look at one of those 'react' videos where a teenager is shown a cassette tape. Not only do they appear to have never heard of something that was still in use until recently but they can't even figure out how to put a rectangular shaped object into a rectangular hole. They even seem to have a major problem opening the hinge of a cassette. This goes beyond not understanding older technology and demonstrates that they have no concept of how shapes work. They're like cavemen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭dense

You sit down in from of the telly of an evening with literally anything in the world to watch, and you end up watching the Angelus.

Or end up fiddling with your phone!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭dense

A smart phone has more computing power than the entire control room in NASA did when they first sent man to the moon. Yet the users of these phones seem to be getting more and more stupid as is evident in the comment section of any YouTube video.

Young people have a wealth of information at their fingertips but are getting less and less interested in recent history. Look at one of those 'react' videos where a teenager is shown a cassette tape. Not only do they appear to have never heard of something that was still in use until recently but they can't even figure out how to put a rectangular shaped object into a rectangular hole. They even seem to have a major problem opening the hinge of a cassette. This goes beyond not understanding older technology and demonstrates that they have no concept of how shapes work. They're like cavemen.

Bit harsh? If no one explained or taught them what a Walkman is or what cassettes are how would they know what it does or how to operate it?
    They seemed interested in the "challenge" and I thought were being quite careful in not wanting to damage the stuff, they could have tried to pull the door open wider for easy access!

Pity about the vertical video and "I'm so proud of you" which is the usual over-praise kids get for everything these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

BBDBB wrote: »
    I remember not having a mobile phone and then not being contactable for hours as I drove to my days work at the other end of the country, who knows how long it could take me, dependent upon traffic :D

And today you can put a smartphone on silent? :)

I am curious, do most people turn off their mobile phone at night? I know I always do.

Yes I do...always
    Apparently it's good to give them an auld restart

Yes I do...always
    Apparently it's good to give them an auld restart

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You've so much extra time, but spend so much of it staring into a small screen.

Exhibit A
    Bruce Springsteen, 1992.
    I bought a bourgeois house in the Hollywood hills
    With a trunkload of hundred thousand dollar bills
    Man came by to hook up my cable TV
    We settled in for the night my baby and me
    We switched 'round and 'round 'til half-past down
    There was fifty-seven channels and notin' on

Exhibit B
    I have a device in my pocket containing the sum of all human knowledge
    I use it to view pictures of cats, and start arguments with stranger

• Registered Users Posts: 27,926 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I get the feeling that vis a vis hospitals 50 years ago, in an emergency situation, I would get faster treatment and more attention in 1967.
    But there'd be about a 20% chance they wouldn't be able to help me...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,926 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Dublin 1870s... trams are the solution.
    Dublin 1950s... trams are no use, get rid of them.
    Dublin 2000s... trams are the solution.

I don't think all of the above statements can be true.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Deedsie wrote: »
    That cars give you freedom... stupidly expensive, rapidly depreciating assets that people put themselves in debt to pay for. And the cost of running and maintaining them is extortionate. Get yourself a tax saver public transport ticket and save yourself a fortune. The correlation of car reliance and being a big fat pos is another reason.

Rent a car/van when actually required.

Thats all based on a ridiculous assumption that people live in towns/citys with an adequate public tranport system which unless you're living under a rock, you should know is not the case in this country. I have a taxsaver public transport ticket....still need a car to get to where it leaves.

Renting a car/van when required would be EVERY DAY, otherwise i couldnt work, so owning one is more economical by far. Nothing to do with being a "big fat pos" Cop yourself on with your ignorant comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 OssifiedEd

your car fails the NCT because they consider it not to be totally road worthy, then they let you drive away.

Or you fail your driving test for not driving safely and leave you drive home 😂

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Dublin can't get enough houses for people, rural Ireland can't get enough people for houses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Benjamin Buttons

You sit down in from of the telly of an evening with literally anything in the world to watch, and you end up watching the Angelus.

No. You're doing it wrong, only two possible reasons for the above:
    Catatonic coma or missing remote.
    Whichever one applies, you have my deepest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

And have people saying "renting is dead money" to you.
    No thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I always answer my phone

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

The more information we have ready exposure to, the more stupid and intransigent we appear to become.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

The ITV colour strike of 1970/1971.

Didn't affect that many people at the time as most didn't have colour televisions.

However when programmes from that era were released in DVD (loads by Network in recent years) the B&W episodes in the midst of a colour run were obviously very noticeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,084 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Slavery is wrong and immoral, I need some work done in my house but don't wanna pay for it to be done.:D :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

We have a deluge of information but most people now have a very scant overview of a lot of things rather than an in-depth knowledge of anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

It's the caller ID that stops me answering the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

How far between your home and your bus/train? I cycle and leave my bike locked at the bus stop when required.

I'm trying to highlight how people could save money and improve their health.

Far enough to make it impractical carrying laptop, files etc...not to mention dangerous outside the summer on unlit country roads at 6am in the morning and 7pm in the evening.

By all means highlight how people can save money and improve their health but to distinctly call out a correlation of all with reliance on a car to being a "big fat pos" is both ignorant and ludicrous.

I see you're a dublin cyclist so I could apply your method and say that "you all" believe that the universe revolves around you and your two wheels, but I know this is not the case as the majority live in the real world......unfortunately you seem to fall in the extreme minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

That cars give you freedom... stupidly expensive, rapidly depreciating assets that people put themselves in debt to pay for. And the cost of running and maintaining them is extortionate. Get yourself a tax saver public transport ticket and save yourself a fortune. The correlation of car reliance and being a big fat pos is another reason.

I live in Dublin City centre so this is true for me but for the rest if the country it aint

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I only answer the phone to pose.

Advertisement