Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great contradiction of modern life.

Options
  • 01-08-2017 5:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭

It seems as phones have gottten more advanced people are less likely to answer their phones it seems.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Because you can text, email, Facebook and no-one can listen in on the conversation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

that is true.

I think biggest contradiction is that medical science is so advanced but so many people are shockingly unhealthy

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

So nobody is allowed be too busy to answer their phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

jonnycivic wrote: »
    So nobody is allowed be too busy to answer their phone?

I think the standard of "busy" has dropped. In the days of landlines you had no idea who was calling so you had to answer. Now you can see and think "I'll call back later" when this episode of game of thrones is over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

You sit down in from of the telly of an evening with literally anything in the world to watch, and you end up watching the Angelus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Lux23 wrote: »
    Because you can text, email, Facebook and no-one can listen in on the conversation.
    The NSA thanks you for your continued ignorance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

your car fails the NCT because they consider it not to be totally road worthy, then they let you drive away.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,814 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

You sit down in from of the telly of an evening with literally anything in the world to watch, and you end up watching the Angelus.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Grayson wrote: »
    I think the standard of "busy" has dropped. In the days of landlines you had no idea who was calling so you had to answer. Now you can see and think "I'll call back later" when this episode of game of thrones is over.

I remember the excitement of the phone ringing in the house, who could it be? David Hasselhoff? The Emperor of Japan? Mickey Johnny Francie to say the cows down in the Cois Muc are out again?

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭unfortunately

Modern phones mean 24hr technical contactabilty, but bar needing help in an emergency it's not healthy socially. I think it's perfectly acceptable not to answer your phone if you don't want too.

From the other perspective; I must stop whatever I'm doing immediately in order to talk to someone. How many things are that important? There are many less intrusive ways to communicate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

More photos than ever are taken by people but rarely developed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

It seems as phones have gottten more advanced people are less likely to answer their phones it seems.

Or communicate through their phones on social media while sitting next to the person in the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Phones are no longer phones - they're handheld multi-function computers. I much prefer to communicate by succinct texts than socially mandated prattle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Lorelli! wrote: »
    More photos than ever are taken by people but rarely developed.

They don't need to be developed anymore.
    A physical copy used to be the only way to see them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

They don't need to be developed anymore.
    A physical copy used to be the only way to see them.

I think they have more value as a physical copy. They are probably viewed less too in digital form and seen the moment after they are taken and forgotten.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Computers and operating systems are a gazillion(ish) times faster than 10 years ago. But we ask them to do a gazillion more things. So I still bang my head on my desk every day, ten years on. Happened on windows 95, still happening in windows 3000 or whatever
    number we're at now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

The more we have, the more we want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

I think they have more value as a physical copy. They are probably viewed less too in digital form and seen the moment after they are taken and forgotten.
    Most of my photos are sh*te and don't deserve to be seen. The ones that do go up on Snapchat and Instagram, where they're seen by anyone who wants to see them.

I have about 30 pics from two weeks in a the Gaelteacht back in 2004. None of them are any good and they've sat in the cardboard pouch since I got them developed.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Or you have the internet with the entire collected knowledge of all of mankind at your fingertips, and you're replying to inane topics on After Hours

• Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

My kids GAA club spent a fortune putting in an all weather training pitch, but training is still cancelled over a bit of drizzle.

I remember my training from the 1980s, you had to wear tennis rackets tied to your feet so you wouldn't sink into the puddle of mud that became the hurling pitch between october and May every year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Social media

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

I remember not having a mobile phone and then not being contactable for hours as I drove to my days work at the other end of the country, who knows how long it could take me, dependent upon traffic :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

your car fails the NCT because they consider it not to be totally road worthy, then they let you drive away.
    time was you could fail your driving test and drive home*

*was only legal on your second provisional

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

How did Stephen Fry describe people interrupting conversions to attend to the little box going "SpeakToMe SpeakToMe SpeakToMe"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

And if you're super talented you can fail your driving test but drive away afterwards as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

People travelling hours on planes to get to places they have only seen on screens and then spending the holiday looking at the same places through the screens of their phones/ipads/cameras.

Same thing with gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Yes gigs are shyte now.

I've noticed a lot of people don't bother with standard texts anymore. It's all snapchatting, whatsapping and bookfacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Oink wrote: »
    Computers and operating systems are a gazillion(ish) times faster than 10 years ago. But we ask them to do a gazillion more things. So I still bang my head on my desk every day, ten years on. Happened on windows 95, still happening in windows 3000 or whatever
    number we're at now.

- try more than 20 years on.

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

You've so much extra time, but spend so much of it staring into a small screen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I would consider this an oxymoron. Digital media is viewed more than analogue. The images have more exposure, excuse the pun ;)

Advertisement