Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happens if Trump nukes North Korea?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Billy86 wrote: »
    If Trump tries to nuke north Korea, it is Trump fault he tried to nuke north Korea. There are no two ways about it and his mental instability was repeatedly for this exact reason. We can only hope Trump proves to be as important and useless in this as he has on getting. More or less anything done since taking office, because there may well be a better chance of him just failing in his efforts than there are in seeing sense with how low his polling numbers are and how fragile his ego is.

Obama stood by and did diddly squat about NK. He seemed more intent on appearing on late night chat shows rather than the real world politics that matter. He was a fraud.

8 years he stood by and let NK get a nuke and put it on a warhead threatening the whole region. I have friends in South Korea working and the general vibe is despite the risk of an attack Trump must deal with Kim Fat now rather than later.

Obama left the world a big fat s h it sandwich but hey so what he was cool right.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

It's hard fighting for Liberty and freedom while fighting Liberty and freedom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    Obama stood by and did diddly squat about NK. He seemed more intent on appearing on late night chat shows rather than the real world politics that matter. He was a fraud.

8 years he stood by and let NK get a nuke and put it on a warhead threatening the whole region. I have friends in South Korea working and the general vibe is despite the risk of an attack Trump must deal with Kim Fat now rather than later.

Obama left the world a big fat s h it sandwich but hey so what he was cool right.
    Nah this is the same as you trying to claim unemployment was going up and up under Obama when it was going down and down. I have zero doubt had action been taken under him you'd be saying it was his fault for getting involved with other countries' affairs. It also entirely ignores sanctions brought against North Korea last year, after earlier attempts to do so in 2013 were blocked by US congress.

Meanwhile, Trump is now president and how he deals with the situation falls on his shoulders. And that's the worrying part, because he barely comes over as any more stable than the lunatic in charge of North Korea - luckily for us, there appears to be a stronger system in place keeping him at bay because if it would help boost his approval numbers and make him feel better about himself I reckon that's all the justification he would need to be dangerously likely to push the button on his own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

France and Pakistan have nuclear weapons and nobody's go on about them firing them at each other all the time, point is if the NK regime does get usable Nukes it pretty much creates a situation of stasis where nothing happens and their regime is copper fastened, a more creative approach would be negotiations which would lead to a peace treaty between North and South, a neutral demilitarised South and a nuclear free North wherein sanctions could be eased on a quid pro pro basis, all this is acheivable whether the North have WMD's or not, just takes adult diplomacy and a winding down of childish rhetoric.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

BillyBobBS wrote: »

The one big thing that has made any kind of attack on NK hesistant over the years is how they got major SK urban areas like Seoul in artillery range as essentially hostages. Should things go down those would be the areas at greatest risk.

That being said if they havent done so yet they should start seriously marshalling forces in SK, Japan and Guam and be prepared to actually do something about NK its getting to the point that sooner or later somethings going to break out and they need to be ready to respond.

I think some may overstate Trumps words it could be simply a bit of a bluff and giving them a taste of their own game but NK needs a bloody nose at the very least and made to understand in no uncertain terms: You dont fu-ck around with nukes under ANY circumstances unless your attempting to be 2017's Darwin Award Champion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

One idea for an agreement is that the 3 power guarantee NK's defence if they get rid of their weapons. A follow on was that the 2 countries sign an agreement to reunify in 100 years time, fat boy could sell it locally that he won.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

wakka12 wrote: »
    Trump alone doesn't have the authority to nuke a foreign country and start a war for no very justifiable reason, it would be voted on by many other people of power in the US

Congress has to vote on a declaration of war, but the President can order military action without a formal declaration.

I think Mattis (secretary of defense) has to agree, but Trump can fire him for not agreeing so...

Congress has to vote on a declaration of war, but the President can order military action without a formal declaration.

I think Mattis (secretary of defense) has to agree, but Trump can fire him for not agreeing so...

Fire him? For disagreeing? Trump would never do such a thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

To be honest the way things are going the only way Mattis might not agree would be only if he feels that US forces arent ready to respond. If the feeling really is this is going to go hot they would want to have as many forces in position before things kick off in order to back up SK as they are the ones who would be taking the first line in any conflict.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,422 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

grahambo wrote: »

Think about it, can you honestly say you didn't think about joining the US army after watching Top Gun as a kid?

#Merica

All I wanted was to be a fighter pilot after that film and the yanks had the most advanced fighters.
    Plus the chance of shagging Kelly McGillis really appealed to my 13 year old younger self

• Advertisement

dd972 wrote: »
    France and Pakistan have nuclear weapons and nobody's go on about them firing them at each other all the time, point is if the NK regime does get usable Nukes it pretty much creates a situation of stasis where nothing happens and their regime is copper fastened, a more creative approach would be negotiations which would lead to a peace treaty between North and South, a neutral demilitarised South and a nuclear free North wherein sanctions could be eased on a quid pro pro basis, all this is acheivable whether the North have WMD's or not, just takes adult diplomacy and a winding down of childish rhetoric.

Again France or Pakistan aren't threatening to kill millions of innocent people on the America mainland. They also don't have a deranged madman with total and utter control of every facet of that society in charge of the military like NK do. The situations aren't similar in any way.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Another 12 seasons of M*A*S*H...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I wonder is Kim Jong afraid of being assassinated in his home country. I'd be surprised if there aren't people near the top of the regime plotting against him

If he were to make a public appearance anywhere it wouldn't take that long anymore for that information to make it's way out of the country through the underground network. One simple little ordinary conventional missile launched from a sub could take him out

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coffee Fulled Runner

I wonder is Kim Jong afraid of being assassinated in his home country. I'd be surprised if there aren't people near the top of the regime plotting against him
    It's the most likely outcome I'd say and hopefully it happens. There have been quite a few documentaries about NK recently with his generals plot for coup.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,321 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Unless China do something to reign them in I see the situation escalating to military action sometime during Trumps presidency. Trump could do with a successful war to boost his popularity. I don't think a conflict would last long or anything like what happened in the middle east at least. Could have a happy outcome for the people of NK even if some of them die in the process. Even if they launch a nuclear weapon I think Japan and China could crush them in a day.

AllForIt wrote: »
    Unless China do something to reign them in I see the situation escalating to military action sometime during Trumps presidency. Trump could do with a successful war to boost his popularity. I don't think a conflict would last long or anything like what happened in the middle east at least. Could have a happy outcome for the people of NK even if some of them die in the process. Even if they launch a nuclear weapon I think Japan and China could crush them in a day.

That is exactly what everyone thought about the middle east/Iraq and Afghanistan originally - a quick war to dethrone an evil dictator and lead to a happy outcome for the people.

This stuff rarely ever goes as planned, and while bad planning like in Iraq can seriously complicate issues this crowd likely wouldn't have any idea at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

In Iraq the various factions were already there, but Saddam kept them in line. North Korea doe snot have these kind of factions (at least what we know of), who knows it might work out better for China if there was a war. Remove Cartman and his cronies and install a less cult like regime that is more in line with China.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Remind me how they voted for Greneda ?

Mattis is making noises, things just ratcheted up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

AllForIt wrote: »

Nice, but you forget the only need to hit Tokyo or Seoul with one missile and world economy enters a depression almost instantly. The area will be ****ed for 50 years + If they can strike American cities the world will change dramatically. This is the first time we will ever experience a nuclear war were two powers can destroy large population areas, with just one successful shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Ttp6VXZ.jpg

• Advertisement

Nice, but you forget the only need to hit Tokyo or Seoul with one missile and world economy enters a depression almost instantly. The area will be ****ed for 50 years + If they can strike American cities the world will change dramatically. This is the first time we will ever experience a nuclear war were two powers can destroy large population areas, with just one successful shot.

Kim Fat is a madman. It's far more likely he will sell a mini nuke to a terrorist grouping if the US keeps the sanctions on much longer than fire one themselves. He's liable to do anything tbh and needs taking out.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

^^^^^

http://www.eviloverlord.com/lists/overlord.html
    99. Any data file of crucial importance will be padded to 1.45Mb in size.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

If they can strike America

If and that's a big effin IF kiss good bye to Kim and North Korea ,Iran ,and likely one or two others ,

But that's an IF .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

If north Korea attack first then it's game on for the US.
    I can't see Russia or China stopping Trump if Kim goes for the money shot first.
    At the same time, Trump needs to stop his gob****e posts, they are embarrassing.
    Bring them back to the table and offer to halt the yearly drills with south Korea in exchange for a halt in enrichment. But this will never happen.

bear1 wrote: »
    Bring them back to the table and offer to halt the yearly drills with south Korea in exchange for a halt in enrichment. But this will never happen.
    For that to happen 'the great negotiator' would actually need to know how to negotiate.

Amazing that it's barely taken the 'American isolationism' candidate barely six months to have us talking about a decent chance of actual nuclear war. If only there had been some kind of sign he was incompetent and unstable... just some kind of sign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Ttp6VXZ.jpg

It's an upgrade from the 8" inch floppies the US still uses.

https://www.google.ie/amp/www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-us-canada-36385839

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

**** it lads global warming is going to do for us in a matter if decades, can we not just nuke a country before that?

North Korea is probably the best place to nuke if we're gonna nuke somewhere

Although obviously the south koreans won't be too impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Billy86 wrote: »
    For that to happen 'the great negotiator' would actually need to know how to negotiate.

Amazing that it's barely taken the 'American isolationism' candidate barely six months to have us talking about a decent chance of actual nuclear war. If only there had been some kind of sign he was incompetent and unstable... just some kind of sign.

The Americans are fairly good at choosing terrible presidents.
    I genuinely liked Obama and thought he did a great job securing deals and peace with Iran.
    This clown gets elected and as you put it has put the world on a nuclear war footing.
    Impeach the bastard already.

bear1 wrote: »
    If north Korea attack first then it's game on for the US.

Unfortunately as long as the North and china are considered a threat they won't stop the yearly military exercises which for the most part are only defensive excerises ,
    Kim does the same and his father before him too ,
    How about Kim removes his artillery pieces as a show of good will ,
    Wouldn't be the first time NK has played the you give up something and we might think about it only for them to say no ,

• Advertisement

Actually Mods can this thread be merged with the other Thread on here

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement